Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2020, 08:21 PM

Keeping the “Black Dog” at Bay: Cycling and Depression.

I appreciate the physical benefits that cycling confers, but it’s the mental health aspect of cycling that matters more to me. I have low-grade chronic depression. I hesitate to use the word “suffer” because many people endure a much more debilitating strain than myself. But still, depression is like a ubiquitous cloud that you just can’t quite shake.

Unless I’m on my bike. Nothing chases away the blues more handily than steadily pacing myself up a huge hill. It’s mentally liberating. Nothing to think about but reaching the crest.

Not a lot of research on nuerotransmitters (seratonin and dopamine) and cycling but there’s bound to be some correlation. It’s the same phenomenon that results in a “runners high.”

I hope that there’s a large contingency of people who’ve experienced the mental relief that cycling provides, particularly during the Pandemic. For my money, it’s the best anti-depressant out there. Bar none.

A recent article I read that promoted the thread:
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/5...ome-depression

”Cycling also puts you into a meditative state without you having to make a conscious decision to sit down and meditate. It’s rhythmic, but you need enough focus on what you’re doing to block out your worries.”
Old 08-23-2020, 08:36 PM

i can relate to that. On one hand cyling does inhibit and keeps mild depression at bay. Otoh it can intensify the up and down syndrome if push is too hard.
Depression is chemical but not only: in the long run it goes away w/ emotional self exploration. Facing the black holes and clearing them up. It takes time, decades but you do it.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 PM

I find wrenching somehow therapeuthic. Sometimes even more so than riding tuning the bike brings focus when i need it. HIghly recommend it.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:59 PM
ZhugeLiang

cycling is my meditation
Old 08-23-2020, 09:04 PM
Riding Along

I take offence to this thread!
Old 08-23-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I take offence to this thread!
Hahaha
Old 08-23-2020, 09:13 PM

https://youtu.be/oUGy1-C7ahc

this gets the blues out of me and onto the dance floor.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:24 PM

I have a bit of seasonal depression. Lack of sun around here a good part of the year doesn't help. Being active and getting outside does. Cycling works for me.

I think many of us (cyclists) are at least a little bit OCD as well. Riding checks that box for me. It's a focus and distraction at the same time. Bike, prep and the ride.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:31 PM

I don't do drugs and I don't do therapy.

Cycling helps me a lot.

Also, if anyone needs to talk, let me know. I'm a great listener.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:37 PM

I find the first half of the ride I excise the demons/frustrations/emotions of the day - usually ride really hard on that first half- then at the turnaround point it suddenly it comes to "survival mode" if that makes sense? - it's the focused feeling that I'm far from home and have to make it back - no other thoughts/feelings can intrude....
Old 08-23-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
https://youtu.be/oUGy1-C7ahc

this gets the blues out of me and onto the dance floor.
That must be quite a sight to behold.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I don't do drugs and I don't do therapy.

Cycling helps me a lot.

Also, if anyone needs to talk, let me know. I'm a great listener.
Very kind gesture.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:02 PM

Wrenching, especially wheel building/truing, are fantastic forms of therapy for me. I love getting lost in something mechanical and tactile.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:14 PM

https://www.bicycling.com/rides/a200...bike-in-japan/

"Descending in the rain terrifies some people. But I’ve had some of my most spiritual experiences while guiding a bike down a wet road. Brazilian racecar driver Ayrton Senna once said that he “saw God” while racing in the rain. On this long descent to our hotel I, too, feel guided by forces larger than myself, as if I have a supernatural intuition for my limits. I tuck my head to keep the rain out of my eyes, but my shoulders are relaxed. I have the sense that I know exactly what to do. Despite the chill, I arrive in Uwajima feeling elated."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg descending-to-ino-1518615015.jpg (80.7 KB, 861 views)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:33 PM

https://www.nature.com/articles/tp2015225
"Mental and physical (MAP) training is a novel clinical intervention that combines mental training through meditation and physical training through aerobic exercise. The intervention was translated from neuroscientific studies indicating that MAP training increases neurogenesis in the adult brain. Each session consisted of 30 min of focused-attention (FA) meditation and 30 min of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise. Fifty-two participants completed the 8-week intervention, which consisted of two sessions per week. Following the intervention, individuals with major depressive disorder (MDD; n=22) reported significantly less depressive symptoms and ruminative thoughts. Typical healthy individuals (n=30) also reported less depressive symptoms at follow-up. Behavioral and event-related potential indices of cognitive control were collected at baseline and follow-up during a modified flanker task. Following MAP training, N2 and P3 component amplitudes increased relative to baseline, especially among individuals with MDD. These data indicate enhanced neural responses during the detection and resolution of conflicting stimuli. Although previous research has supported the individual beneficial effects of aerobic exercise and meditation for depression, these findings indicate that a combination of the two may be particularly effective in increasing cognitive control processes and decreasing ruminative thought patterns."
Good stuff. This may increase the time to time to ride though..