Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 04:28 PM

Specialized AWOL for Bikepacking

Looking for some experts here to weigh in.

I've got my 2014 seldom used AWOL Comp sitting in my mom's shed and am interested in setting it up for bikepacking. It's completely stock but my concerns are gearing. I'd also like to be running tubeless and hydro disc brakes.

So here are the specific Q's for now.

1) Wheels are listed as "AWOL Etrto 622x21c Double Wall 6066 Alloy." There's a red tape on the rim that looks non-air tight, but managed to quickly test a Schwalbe 34 on the rim with a air compressor. It sat well, then leaked - but my sense is if I taped it properly would hold. Are my instincts right? What would prevent it from being tubeless compatible?

2) Gearing. I'm not opposed to 1x in the front but am trying to be economical. If I'm carrying 40lbs of water/gear - that's 70lbs of bike + my 185! Getting up climbs will be a challenges unless I've got something like a dinner plate in the back. I'd love thoughts on this!

3) Would LOVE to go hydro with this setup and likely step up to 180mm rotors - not sure if it's possible thought.

4) Would it be crazy to consider a suspension fork as well?

5) Any other tips for 1-2 night bikepacking setups would be appreciated! I've got all the gear since I'm a pretty seasoned backpacker.

Thanks much!

Cody

P.S. Here's a shot I took in the Desolation Wilderness last week! One night at the lake of the woods did not disappoint!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2626.jpeg (111.6 KB, 362 views)
Old 08-25-2019, 06:28 PM

1. Tubeless rim hooks, shelves and center channels are a little different than non-tubeless. If the rims are OEM I'd send an email to Specialized and see what they say.

2. I've done a good bit of bikepacking on a loaded up rig and my lowest gear is about 24" (28x32). Much lower wouldn't be of much use to me; such a slow speed at risk of tipping over. Don't know what your gearing setup is, but I don't see any advantage of going 1x if you're currently on a sub-compact double. I'd much rather have the latter. Use a gear calculator and see what your current setup gets you. Maybe you just need a different cassette.

3. A 180mm front rotor might be useful if you're running mechanical discs. I ran 180mm on a bikepacking bike once because I needed that big a rotor to clear the spokes on the 650b wheel with dynamo hub. My current bike has Red hydraulic brakes and 160/140 is all I need. Going bigger really doesn't hurt anything, though. It could make your brakes a touch more sensitive/grabby depending on what calipers you have, but not likely to be an issue.

4. You know better than anyone what you'll riding, but with the right tires and bike fit suspension is far from a necessity. Furthermore, there are likely few, if any, suspension forks that will not alter your bike's geometry. I've bikepacked on singletrack with a steel fork and 650bx54 tires and the low psi (high 20s) really does a lot for comfort and control. YMMV and all that.

5. Don't overpack. Hammocks rule. Merino for as much as you can. My merino bibs, boxer briefs, socks and baselayer/t-shirt are so, so, so good. Edit: you're a backpacker so you know all that.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:18 PM

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...u-already-own/
Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 AM
n - 1

Tire leak--may just be that you didn't have any sealant in there. Test with some Stans and do the Stans Shake (basically, slosh the sealant around, while rotating the wheel). It may just seal right up.

If by "economical" you're saying you don't want to spend much money, stick with the stock 2x or 3x. Go to a 36T rear cassette, if you need more low gear.

Mechanical discs are plenty fine. But I like big rotors--203mm with compressionless housing.

Other than that, before spending money from suggestions from complete strangers online, just go with what you've got. Assess, research, purchase, and do it again.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:04 AM

This is great advice. Thanks y'all. I'm thinking the wheels will work. The bike definitely needs some love but is a tank, so I'm sure it can be salvaged. Will stick with the 2x for now and see how big I can go in the back.

That's quite the setup Colonel! Being in Socal, water is actually my biggest concern. Will figure it all out in due time...

Will post more questions soon I'm sure! Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2019, 10:10 AM

5000 mile review of a 2016 AWOL

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/specialized-awol-review/
Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 AM

Yeah this is totally badass. Not sure where I'm going with this....love the idea of a 1-2 nighter on fire roads. Seems like a decent bike for it!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
Yeah this is totally badass. Not sure where I'm going with this....love the idea of a 1-2 nighter on fire roads. Seems like a decent bike for it!
There's some great stuff out here just above Santa Barbara in the Los Padres National Forest, when you're ready. Poorly-maintained forest service fire roads that are blocked by locked gates, so no jeeps/trucks/yahoos.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:25 PM

Are you in SB too? Would love to explore Los Padres. Been reading a bit about it....water is the main barrier.

Also, gave the bike to the shop today and it looks like I'll simply get it tuned up and put a 11-42 in back, possibly move to 180mm rotors. Other than that I just need to get the packs. I think I'm due to switch to a quilt instead of a bag for my backpacking setup. Hammock looks enticing but I'm concerned about warmth in the swing seasons....

Exciting times!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
Other than that I just need to get the packs. I think I'm due to switch to a quilt instead of a bag for my backpacking setup. Hammock looks enticing but I'm concerned about warmth in the swing seasons....
Definitely need an underquilt in a hammock if temps get below 70F. Just have to pick a the right one for your needs. There's a great cottage industry of custom quilt and hammock accessory makers around.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:52 PM

I think I'll stick to my therma-rest for now! I usually sleep under the stars but have a big Agnes tent just in case...

Trying to figure out my maiden voyage!
Old 02-21-2024, 01:00 AM

Did you ever use the awol? Looking into one for bike packing so figured I’d ask here
Old 02-21-2024, 02:09 AM

In case you didn’t know, these are very cool bikes. My buddy rides one with a flat bar and front rack for commuting and I covet it. I’ve ridden off-road with him on it as well and it’s worked like a champ
Old 02-21-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
In case you didn’t know, these are very cool bikes. My buddy rides one with a flat bar and front rack for commuting and I covet it. I’ve ridden off-road with him on it as well and it’s worked like a champ
Yeah, I was looking for something that could do my style of gravel (slow and enjoyable) and backpacking. The awol seems to fit the bill but there not a bunch of reviews online about them?
Old 02-26-2024, 08:51 PM

Hey! Cool to see this thread from so many years ago. And miss this forum!

AWOL update! It did great on the few trips I took it bike packing! Converted the cable discs to hydro, made it one chainring up front (the small one) and a huge cassette, converted the stock tires to tubeless.

At one point I put a Banfang motor on it and it was a tank!

In 2022 I needed to use a "mountain bike" for this crazy local race called Gaviota OCR (worth a google) so I added flat bars and it worked the fire roads perfectly. I still use it somewhat regularly as a commuter or when I take rides with the kid. I even have a kickstand on it nowadays!

It's my "9 lives" bike. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it since it's so versatile.