Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 02:57 PM

Sounds like he was going over some cobbles at the time as well - extra stress on the bars.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:58 PM

When I’m putting out major watts like MVDP, I often break carbon parts with my brutal power. Guys like us know to just throw the spent bits in the weeds and keep on riding like NBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2021, 03:01 PM

But, somewhat more seriously, I’ve also seen ultra light alloy bars from the 90s brake clean in half. No handle bar is immune to fatigue, especially if it has been over tightened at the stem or brake levers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2021, 03:22 PM

I believe that the bars breaking had nothing to do with "overtightening" a clamp. by the time you are a mechanic for Elites, you will have a better sense for torque than any "off the shelf torque wrench'.

not to mention, the clamps on levers are better distributed surface area than most clamps, which again doesn't make sense about "overtightening".

I think this is a quick statement to save face of a sponsor
Old 03-02-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
If that was a paying customer and not MVP, it would be a real bummer: need a new stem too.
With the the three piece canyon bars all he needs is the new extension added to that side, won't even need to rewrap the other side of the bars.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I wouldn't, they probably think they can feel torque after doing hundreds of times.
I've seen lots of mechanics who think they have built in torque wrenches in their hands and wrists. There are too many variables to accurate torque. Use a torque wrench. Team mechanics should have some already pre set to use.

It MIGHT be a sample variation, but don't count on that.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:50 PM

Last edited by retrofit; 03-02-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
aluminum handlebars also can have hidden issues that can lead to failure, especially if you're a corrosive sweater.

This!

My buddy sent this picture last week after a bike cleanup revealed this problem with his bar! Alloy has its issue too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6CC80376-543C-42EC-9EBB-EE60CFFA5909.jpg (92.8 KB, 336 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I wouldn't, they probably think they can feel torque after doing hundreds of times.
I definitely cannot feel torque, but haven't been using my torque wrench to secure my levers to my carbon handlebars. Should I be? It's really tough to access the bolt even with a regular hex key (let alone my torque wrench), so I've just been tightening until the levers can't move around laterally or vertically.

Now I'm worried that my handlebars are going to disintegrate on me. You know, since I'm putting out MvDP amounts of power on the regular.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I've seen lots of mechanics who think they have built in torque wrenches in their hands and wrists. There are too many variables to accurate torque. Use a torque wrench. Team mechanics should have some already pre set to use.

It MIGHT be a sample variation, but don't count on that.
A torque wrench measures how hard it WAS to have turned a screw to a certain point. It doesn't measure how tight the clamp is around the handlebars.

The human can feel the rate of change of resistance, no torque wrench can do that.

And we aren't even getting into the variation between "how hard it was to turn that screw" clicky wrenches.

Obviously I have great faith in humans, for better or for worse.

Last edited by Old School; 03-02-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:14 PM

Come on guys this all about marginal gains. Just think of the weight savings you can achieve if your bike just disintegrates as it approaches the finish!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:15 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
I definitely cannot feel torque, but haven't been using my torque wrench to secure my levers to my carbon handlebars. Should I be? It's really tough to access the bolt even with a regular hex key (let alone my torque wrench), so I've just been tightening until the levers can't move around laterally or vertically.

Now I'm worried that my handlebars are going to disintegrate on me. You know, since I'm putting out MvDP amounts of power on the regular.
the right torque wrench will work for levers, usually have a lonnnng bit so you can get in there. You are probably fine, carbon is stronger than most think and it takes a bunch of torque for it to actually crack. That said you should get a torque wrench
Old 03-02-2021, 04:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
This!

My buddy sent this picture last week after a bike cleanup revealed this problem with his bar! Alloy has its issue too.
I mean, that is disgusting though, its not really the fault of the handlebar but the user. Its like tri bikes that have piss all over them, yikes. I bet the handlebar tape looked terrible on those bars and it was long due for a replacement. Specially people that ride the trainer a lot, should re wrap bars every year maybe even more
Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 PM

You will have to spend $250 to get a torque wrench that is within 5%.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126267280?TID=394
Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I believe that the bars breaking had nothing to do with "overtightening" a clamp. by the time you are a mechanic for Elites, you will have a better sense for torque than any "off the shelf torque wrench'.

not to mention, the clamps on levers are better distributed surface area than most clamps, which again doesn't make sense about "overtightening".

I think this is a quick statement to save face of a sponsor
Sabatoge?