Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
You should buy it so I don’t

I’m half hoping that by outing it here someone (you?) will beat me to the punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
Gotcha—I think. You wouldn’t happen to be in South Carolina?

No, Ohio.

Mine has been posted for sale here for quite some time. A little too big for me, but not nearly big enough for you.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:14 PM

I'll admit I have seen the comments before about Excell being brittle and the frames cracking. All I can say is mine is hold up well under me and in the past years my weight is all over. From the 160's at best to closing in on 220 at worse. The XL Super have held up just fine.

Now as to the "hyperbole" what can I say? I still don't have any bike in my stable that feels as good out on the road under me as the one XL Super. That's with about 30 bikes in the stable right now and another 30ish that have passed through my hands this decade. This Giordana just does it for me. Hence why bought another one to try and better it vs messing with the perfection I already have.

My favorite one does have a chrome Eco fork on it since Gita was out of Podium forks when I got my XL Super from them.

I think everyone deserves a little Giordana in their life at least once. So go for it!

Oh, and I'll concur with the others. These backgammon paint jobs were on the mid 90's bikes and well into the era of 130mm rear spacing.

I also have to admit that with the bike cave busting at the seams I did find it in my heart to sell the Polaris and the Scorpius frame. I've also got the Antares listed locally to see if it goes. But the XL Supers are going to the grave with me.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
It's oversized tubing and I wouldn't exactly call it light weight. It does have a very nice ride quality though.
?!? I thought the Excell tubing was some of the thinnest walls of its time? Am I mixing them up with something else?
Old 03-02-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
That Milwaukee $600 bike will surely put that to shame. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

58 TT on that thing? I am monkey man with short legs long torso. A 140mm quill stem is a bit....uh....flexy. My typical front of saddle to center of bars is around 60cm so no way that G is working for me. I keep picking out that Mil to ride and man, with Ol tater handbuilts and 32mm Conti 5000TL I would ride that thing anywhere. It will never leave the stable!

https://www.benscycle.com/milwaukee-...62-999-oov62/p

You have a point on the sizing—I’m used to a 59-60cm TT with 740mm center of saddle to center of bars . I’d definitely be in 140mm stem territory on this Giordana.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
You have a point on the sizing—I’m used to a 59-60cm TT with 740mm center of saddle to center of bars . I’d definitely be in 140mm stem territory on this Giordana.

This is your Dad (or Mom) speaking: Sheesh, does this seem like magical thinking to anyone else? Close the browser with the open Ebay listing. Then go take a long joyride to appreciate what you already have that's working for you. Then resolve to beg borrow or steal the funds and plunk down a deposit, and be patient to get in queue for a custom steel frame and fork with oversize tubing from one of many builders that appear in the forum. You think you can't afford it, and maybe you can't but you should figure out how to make it work and end your ogling Ebay, CL and the classifieds. Patience and some financial planning and finding some creative ways to save will pay off when you finally unbox the "perfect" frame (per your own criteria) that fits like a glove, with your preferred handling, in your favorite color scheme. The internal battle for impulse buying frames that check some but not all boxes (not the least of all fit!) will diminish greatly- one and done (maybe with a little practice when you remember there's nothing out there as good as what was built for you). There is no Ebay frameset, vintage or otherwise that will hold a candle to something that was designed and built for you by a builder you've selected. Your life will be better. You will smile every time you turn on your garage light. You will grind your teeth at the first virgin scratch when the weedwacker falls on the top tube, and then it will be OK, the first bit of patina on a lifetime of well earned scars that come with the rides and memories.

Last edited by zennmotion; 03-02-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
...plunk down a deposit, and be patient to get in queue for a custom steel frame and fork with oversize tubing from one of many builders that appear in the forum...
Ah, Scott's actively in the queue for a custom. Doesn't mean that he can't be interested in other frames as well. Your larger point is well-taken (and well-meant!), but it's fun to try different things out, too.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
?!? I thought the Excell tubing was some of the thinnest walls of its time? Am I mixing them up with something else?
I think you are right on the thin walls. My older Davidson, and same age Banke are lighter frames.

Not meaning to knock the Giordana Excell frames at all. They're great riding bikes. I just wouldn't call them light and/or fragile. I'll take ride quality over a half pound or so any day.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Ah, Scott's actively in the queue for a custom. Doesn't mean that he can't be interested in other frames as well. Your larger point is well-taken (and well-meant!), but it's fun to try different things out, too.
Ha ha ha! Yup, I have that Giordana in my garage, behind my Spectrum custom. It's the last in a series of cool bike impulse buys that lasted one or several years before my wife, in a state of generosity, love and financial wisdom put me out of my misery (of frequent ebay trolling for cool used bikes) and sent Tom Kellogg a deposit as a surprise gift for me... only several months after after I had done the same thing and gotten in his queue without conferring with her first (major lapse in judgement on my part ) Tom figured out what was going on and played us both brilliantly until we both came clean and I agreed to a very long list of honey-do's as apology and gratitude. The Giordana is an occasional fun (and very different) ride, but the Spectrum is forever, a gift on several levels .

Last edited by zennmotion; 03-02-2021 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
I think you are right on the thin walls. My older Davidson, and same age Banke are lighter frames.

Not meaning to knock the Giordana Excell frames at all. They're great riding bikes. I just wouldn't call them light and/or fragile. I'll take ride quality over a half pound or so any day.
To be clear, Giordana used more than one grade of Excell tubing in different models, Podium was the light stuff IIRC.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
This is your Dad (or Mom) speaking: Sheesh, does this seem like magical thinking to anyone else? Close the browser with the open Ebay listing. Then go take a long joyride to appreciate what you already have that's working for you. Then resolve to beg borrow or steal the funds and plunk down a deposit, and be patient to get in queue for a custom steel frame and fork with oversize tubing from one of many builders that appear in the forum.

Mom and Dad are on the PL now!? Oh crap, the jig is up! Wet blanket thrown! Haha.

I do have a custom in progress. And, I’m lucky enough to own and ride some fantastic custom and production bikes most days of the week. For me, looking at something like this Giordana isn’t about finding the “perfect” bike. It’s also not about saving money—my hobby supports itself and I buy what I want within reason.

For me, working on and riding a bunch of different bikes has contributed to my bicycle education and enjoyment of the sport and cycling culture.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Mom and Dad are on the PL now!? Oh crap, the jig is up! Wet blanket thrown! Haha.

I do have a custom in progress. And, I’m lucky enough to own and ride some fantastic custom and production bikes most days of the week. For me, looking at something like this Giordana isn’t about finding the “perfect” bike. It’s also not about saving money—my hobby supports itself and I buy what I want within reason.

For me, working on and riding a bunch of different bikes has contributed to my bicycle education and enjoyment of the sport and cycling culture.

Lol! I just blew beer through my nose---- you said "cycling culture"! Anywho, I think it won't fit, but might scratch an itch like a fantasy Milan-San Remo final sprint position with that 140 stem! I say go for it and let the h8ers be jealous!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Ha ha ha! figured out what was going on and played us both brilliantly until we both came clean and I agreed to a very long list of honey-do's as apology and gratitude. The Giordana is an occasional fun (and very different) ride, but the Spectrum is forever, a gift on several levels .
The story of your Spectrum is great—it’s particularly cool that your wife knows you that well.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Lol! I just blew beer through my nose---- you said "cycling culture"! Anywho, I think it won't fit, but might scratch an itch like a fantasy Milan-San Remo final sprint position with that 140 stem! I say go for it and let the h8ers be jealous!

Hey, I might be able to get away with a 130 stem. Haha. But, this thread is working—getting laughed at is really curbing my enthusiasm for the mythical Giordana XL.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:58 PM
v a n i l l a

idk...it's not like these things are showing up everyday. so you think it's a little high...so how much higher? is that amount really a big deal?

as you know, when you buy "used" getting the best price, condition and color is not easily done. you generally have to trade off something.

life is too short. if you can make it happen, make it happen.