Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 12:08 PM

Talk me out of this Giordana XL-Eco

So, I've always wanted one of these (well, I really wanted the 63cm teal/white XL super, but this one is close). Considering the price (and no best offer option) including shipping and the AZ tax I'd have to pay, I think this one is priced rather high. Also, I think this is not a 1990, but likely mid-90s.

On the other hand, look at that lovely fork bend! Also, Jamesdak says these are one of the best bikes he's ridden. Also, Dario had a hand in the design.

Here is the link:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Giordana-Xl...007e%7Ciid%3A1
Old 03-02-2021, 12:35 PM

I don't follow the brand that closely, other than to know it's one of the lesser recognized high quality marques. I think it's fairly priced, considering the 15% from the seller that ebay takes. You're also getting a lot of the little bits that are left out of steel frame sales that often add up - dropout adjusters, cable stops, seat bolt, headset (altho might be a cheapo).

I won't talk you out of it, except maybe to talk you into a similar sized older Tommasini I have - in which case, you know where to find me ...
Old 03-02-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I don't follow the brand that closely, other than to know it's one of the lesser recognized high quality marques. I think it's fairly priced, considering the 15% from the seller that ebay takes. You're also getting a lot of the little bits that are left out of steel frame sales that often add up - dropout adjusters, cable stops, seat bolt, headset (altho might be a cheapo).

I won't talk you out of it, except maybe to talk you into a similar sized older Tommasini I have - in which case, you know where to find me ...
The relative obscurity of Giordana (when it comes to frames) is why I think the price is a bit high. It is most likely Bilato built. I tend to like these mid-90s bikes with really light and somewhat exotic tubesets. I had a Team Banesto Pinarello made with Oria that rode really nicely. I've never had an XL tubing bike, but they are rumored to ride great.

Anyone hazard a guess on rear spacing? 126 or 130?

Nice to know about the Tommasini. Hmmm.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:14 PM
50 bpm

Ha! That's on my eBay watch list.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:28 PM

That Milwaukee $600 bike will surely put that to shame. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

58 TT on that thing? I am monkey man with short legs long torso. A 140mm quill stem is a bit....uh....flexy. My typical front of saddle to center of bars is around 60cm so no way that G is working for me. I keep picking out that Mil to ride and man, with Ol tater handbuilts and 32mm Conti 5000TL I would ride that thing anywhere. It will never leave the stable!

https://www.benscycle.com/milwaukee-...62-999-oov62/p

Last edited by clyde the point; 03-02-2021 at 08:04 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-02-2021, 02:49 PM

That really is a fair point--it would probably fit better too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
That Milwaukee $600 bike will surely put that to shame. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:51 PM

Nice to know I'm not completely out to lunch about this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Ha! That's on my eBay watch list.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
I don't know what Milwaukee is being referred to here, but assuming the Giordana is a good fit for the OP (which it sounds like maybe not) it is surely a "better" frame in the sense of being a lugged frame coming out of the well respected and prolific Billato factory in Italy rather than a common tig'd frame off the assembly line in Taiwan - nothing wrong with that, but the comparison is apples and oranges. Billato has built a lot of pro-level lugged steel bikes for many well-known brands (including Lemond) back in the days when steel was still real. I have an older Giordana (Polaris with Columbus SLX) and it indeed is a classic Italian mid-late 90s, nice handling race frame. Pegoretti did have a hand in the design, and it's great but not supernatural, and I would have been thrilled to race on it back in the day- and in fact I considered buying an Excell version in the mid 90s but decided instead on a titanium bike that were just then coming into the market, so I don't really know what I missed. But the Giordana models all have the same or similar geometry and like I said, mine rides great. Do notice that the geometry may have been Pegoretti influenced but it is quite different than current "stock" Peg, so don't expect it to "feel" the same at all, for better or worse (the front end Trail measurement, for example is very different than a current stock Peg). As far as the French Excell tubing, it was state of the art at the time, and lighter than Columbus' offerings but I don't know that I would be able to pass a blind test between Giordana frames that were made of Columbus, or Oria or other tubing- the tube selection (assuming traditional old-school diameters) is about the least important thing that contributes to a great bike. The Excell makes it cool, but more for collectors' interest than perceivable performance IMHO. And the thin/hard Excel also had a reputation for cracking at the BB/ST shell area. Not to dissuade from buying the frame however, because I think it would be very cool if it fits, and the BIN ebay price is very reasonable, even a great deal because of its unusual large size for a bike like that.

I'm sure the rear spacing is 130mm, Giordana was making these in the mid-late 90s, in the last days when lugged steel was still the racer's best choice. I also think it's likely that you can squeeze 28c tires into the rear dropouts (depending on your brake choice)- FWIW. If it fits and pulls your heartstrings enough to build it up and ride it, I'd buy it, it's a cool bike, but while I love JamesDak's hyperbole, it's a cool bike among other cool Italian bikes from the era.

Last edited by zennmotion; 03-02-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
I don't know what Milwaukee is being referred to here, but assuming the Giordana is a good fit for the OP (which it sounds like maybe not) it is surely a "better" frame in the sense of being a lugged frame coming out of the well respected and prolific Billato factory in Italy rather than a common tig'd frame off the assembly line in Taiwan - nothing wrong with that, but the comparison is apples and oranges. Billato has built a lot of pro-level lugged steel bikes for many well-known brands (including Lemond) back in the days when steel was still real. I have an older Giordana (Polaris with Columbus SLX) and it indeed is a classic Italian mid-late 90s, nice handling race frame. Pegoretti did have a hand in the design, and it's great but not supernatural, and I would have been thrilled to race on it back in the day- and in fact I considered buying an Excell version in the mid 90s but decided instead on a titanium bike that were just then coming into the market, so I don't really know what I missed. But the Giordana models all have the same or similar geometry and like I said, mine rides great. Do notice that the geometry may have been Pegoretti influenced but it is quite different than current "stock" Peg, so don't expect it to "feel" the same at all, for better or worse (the front end Trail measurement, for example is very different than a current stock Peg). As far as the French Excell tubing, it was state of the art at the time, and lighter than Columbus' offerings but I don't know that I would be able to pass a blind test between Giordana frames that were made of Columbus, or Oria or other tubing- the tube selection (assuming traditional old-school diameters) is about the least important thing that contributes to a great bike. The Excell makes it cool, but more for collectors' interest than perceivable performance IMHO. And the thin/hard Excel also had a reputation for cracking at the BB/ST shell area. Not to dissuade from buying the frame however, because I think it would be very cool if it fits, and the BIN ebay price is very reasonable, even a great deal because of its unusual large size for a bike like that.

I'm sure the rear spacing is 130mm, Giordana was making these in the mid-late 90s, in the last days when lugged steel was still the racer's best choice. I also think it's likely that you can squeeze 28c tires into the rear dropouts (depending on your brake choice)- FWIW. If it fits and pulls your heartstrings enough to build it up and ride it, I'd buy it, it's a cool bike, but while I love JamesDak's hyperbole, it's a cool bike among other cool Italian bikes from the era.
Great response--the PL comes through again with great info. I've got some worries about the brittleness of the tubing and the durability of the frame and fork--but if the bb or fork haven't developed cracks by now, maybe they never will. I seem to see a lot of Excell tubing frames with replacement forks.

The reference to Milwaukee was based on a thread I started over on the custom bike section. The Milwaukee Bicycle Co. road frames are Waterford made, not Taiwanese, and IMO (and Clyde's) are a great value for a modern steel frame with light tubing. Not really a fair comparison to this Giordana.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Small ring

I had one of these about a decade ago, and sold because it was slightly too big for me. They are fantastic frames, but not quite worthy of some of the hyperbole.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:34 PM

Everyone should buy a Giordana. Especially that model, color scheme and price point!
Old 03-02-2021, 06:38 PM

Yah, reputedly Dario Pegoretti had a hand in designing the geometry. And the tubing is superlight. Doesn't seem all that expensive considering those two factors.

OTOH, if you really want points against it, [1] I'd be worried about corrosion coming from South Carolina and its humidity. [2], I'd be worried that the tubing might be too light. You're looking at skinny tubes and a very light tubeset, and that's what you and Dan said you didn't like about the Boulder Road frameset.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Yah, reputedly Dario Pegoretti had a hand in designing the geometry. And the tubing is superlight. Doesn't seem all that expensive considering those two factors.

OTOH, if you really want points against it, [1] I'd be worried about corrosion coming from South Carolina and its humidity. [2], I'd be worried that the tubing might be too light. You're looking at skinny tubes and a very light tubeset, and that's what you and Dan said you didn't like about the Boulder Road frameset.
It's oversized tubing and I wouldn't exactly call it light weight. It does have a very nice ride quality though.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Everyone should buy a Giordana. Especially that model, color scheme and price point!

Gotcha—I think. You wouldn’t happen to be in South Carolina?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2021, 07:49 PM

You should buy it so I don’t