Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 05:00 PM

Damn Nail...Punctured Rim. Advice please.

Hey PL hive mind. I have a few ex-pros and a shop owners telling me it's fine as well as some trusted friends. But Zipp and the shop I bought it say they can't rule without seeing the wheel which would mean shipping it. The hole is about 1.5mm. I've exopied over it for now and am tempted to tape it up and give it a go. It's a rear wheel. Catastrophic failure is never completely ruled out, but isn't this mitigated? Tell me it's safe! Reassure me!

Photos - before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (139.2 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 63633195317__5F67F729-D8AF-4929-BDFD-62EF207B9BAA.jpg (106.5 KB, 388 views)
Old 03-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Administrator

I'd have no reservations riding that wheel.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:05 PM

There are far bigger holes punched into the rim's tire bed - there's one above every spoke hole (and one more at the valve for good measure). One extra little hole punched into the tire bed won't make much difference.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:06 PM

I might file the hole a little bigger just to make sure there's no cracking / delamination around the edge. The wheel is already full of holes like that, and no one worries about a 32h rim failing because it has too many holes drilled in it.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:06 PM
v a n i l l a

I'll be the outlier.

Your rim has a hole where there wasn't supposed to be a hole. That void used to have fiber now it has epoxy. the epoxy might as well be toothpaste, unless the FEA says that area is in compression and the epoxy can take those forces.

No one knows it the puncture caused spider cracking in the laminate that we cannot see. So it's fine until it isn't fine. we all have our own opinions on risk so no judgement.

The truth is no one knows.

Since you are ok with riding it, be sure to sand that epoxy area so its smooth and does not pose a risk to the tube.

If me, I'd ship it to zipp and see if I could get a discounted replacement

Last edited by pdmtong; 03-01-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:07 PM

I was mountain biking back in the day and approached a field, former farming field. Went up small rise hard and stop/explosion. Had a spike go through entire wheel...I walked home 2 miles
Old 03-01-2021, 05:17 PM

THANK YOU ALL!

Gonna tape it up and ride.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
I was mountain biking back in the day and approached a field, former farming field. Went up small rise hard and stop/explosion. Had a spike go through entire wheel...I walked home 2 miles
I hope you have a picture of it.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I'll be the outlier.

Your rim has a hole where there wasn't supposed to be a hole. That void used to have fiber now it has epoxy. the epoxy might as well be toothpaste, unless the FEA says that area is in compression and the epoxy can take those forces.

No one knows it the puncture caused spider cracking in the laminate that we cannot see. So it's fine until it isn't fine. we all have our own opinions on risk so no judgement.

The truth is no one knows.

Since you are ok with riding it, be sure to sand that epoxy area so its smooth and does not pose a risk to the tube.

If me, I'd ship it to zipp and see if I could get a discounted replacement
What he said. Everyone's risk tolerance is different, but I think shipping off to Zipp for some analysis would provide some peace of mind, even if they said it was fine.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:43 PM
Shrimp123

risk? yes.
will i ride it? definitely not if i am pushing the rim to the limit (weight, etc)
tape and ride? may be....

why not epoxy re-inforce it and then tape and ride?
Old 03-01-2021, 07:00 PM

Wouldn't be worried at all. For any wheel, but especially because it's a rear and because it's disc.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:15 PM

I agree with Paul.

What's the hurt in getting it checked out?

SPP
Old 03-01-2021, 07:32 PM

that damage is super minor and in the rim bed, definitely fine to ride from my perspective. i wouldnt think twice about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I'll be the outlier.

If me, I'd ship it to zipp...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
but I think shipping off to Zipp for some analysis would provide some peace of mind, even if they said it was fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I agree with Paul.

What's the hurt in getting it checked out?

SPP

lolz at you "by the book" folks.

you ship that wheel back to zipp at your expense, there is about zero chance they (and their legal department....) are going to green light you for unlimited use. they're going to cover their rear and give you every disclaimer in the book, so sending it to them is a worthless endeavor that will cost you money.

i'd fill it with a high strength epoxy, tape it and ride it. maybe pull the tape and take a look at it after 500 miles or so and see what it looks like as some precaution.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:49 PM
Two wheels good

I'm one to catastrophize things so I wouldn't ride that on a bet.
When I'm descending something at over 40mph I don't want to give a second of thought as to whether my rim is finally going split.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:05 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
that damage is super minor and in the rim bed, definitely fine to ride from my perspective. i wouldnt think twice about it.

lolz at you "by the book" folks.

you ship that wheel back to zipp at your expense, there is about zero chance they (and their legal department....) are going to green light you for unlimited use. they're going to cover their rear and give you every disclaimer in the book, so sending it to them is a worthless endeavor that will cost you money.

i'd fill it with a high strength epoxy, tape it and ride it. maybe pull the tape and take a look at it after 500 miles or so and see what it looks like as some precaution.
that is exactly right. there is NO WAY zipp will green light that rim due to liability. so the move is to send it back, get a discounted replacement and rock on.

we can all say what we think, but it's the OP's teeth, face, bones and potential medical bills. not mine.

maybe the chances are small. but there is still risk if you believe that hole created a potential compromise. me, I am happy to get it replaced to avoid taking my food through a straw strapped in chair typing out forum posts with my teeth holding a stylus.