Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 07:38 AM
Everything is connected

Saab, I started using sealant (Orange Seal) per Old Potatoes’ recommendation as a preventative measure a few years back and the only flat that I’ve had on a tubular since (knock on wood), was from user error...not replacing a rear tire when its time had come. I need to pull the valve cores every so often as sometimes they can gum up from the sealant, but it works for me and I don't ask any questions.

Veloflex are my go to tires as well, but Vittoria Paves have served me well, especially in wet conditions...down to my last one, as they have been discontinued.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:41 AM
ZhugeLiang

Vittoria paves

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/v...00c-92388.html
Old 03-02-2021, 07:44 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Yeah...they fattened those puppies to 30mm...used to be 25mm and 27mm. If I could fit them I would buy them.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:06 AM

Wow!

Thanks all for the replies and discussions -- I'm always amazed at the quality of conversation on paceline. Based on what I'm hearing, would like to try some Vittorias or Veloflexs. The sealant idea and a spare is good info as well

I'm looking forward to doing this soon (16F out now, windchill of 0....) and will let you know how it goes. More ideas, keep 'em coming!

--Dan
Old 03-02-2021, 10:42 AM

As far as sealant goes I won't use anything but the Vittoria Pit Stop. I've tried sealants but they are imo, best for tubeless tires. Tried it a couple of times as a pm but it didn't seal anything when getting a puncture. Now Tufo makes a tubeless tubular tire and it will work with sealant. I have experience that out riding and only had to top off the pressure with a co2. Only problem was the sealant sprayed all over back of seat tube, chain stays, etc. and was a pain to remove after it dried. Long story short the tufo tires rode like bricks, harsh. They came on a set of wheels I bought that already had them installed. I was glad to take them off when they wore out.

The pit stop is a pressurized foam sealant similar to the way a co2 cartridge works. I have only used it after getting a flat and it has been a permanent fix. Small enough to carry in a jersey pocket.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I'd never done it either, it never occurred to me. But I installed some tubulars on a build last year and promptly got a flat on a near-new Vittoria. Piece of wire sticking out of the tread.

Stan's makes a little bottle of sealant you can just pop right onto a tire with the valve stem removed. I was kind of dubious, but I juiced up the tire, reinstalled the stem, and pumped it up.....

Amazing. Tire sealed immediately and it's been holding air for 8 months.

I recently decided tubulars *still* aren't my thing for general riding, but this was a great solution for a tubular fix, and especially an on-the-road fix. With sealant, I'd only bother with carrying a full-on spare if I absolutely had to (riding in the middle of nowhere, no possibility of a pickup). I am not a fan of stripping off a tubular in the middle of a ride, nor am I a fan of only gluing enough to make that task "easy". Sealant allows a fix without disturbing the installed tire. It's fast, and effective.

I haven't tried this, but I hear that some folks (and pro teams) use sealants as a prophylactic. They install it into new tires and apparently avoid flats in the first place.

Chalk me up as a believer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

But it never once occurred to me to put sealant in them. When did this start? Is it common? And I'm talking about folks who have been riding them since before there was such a thing as sealant. Is it effective? I found tubulars to be extremely durable and flat resistant just as they were. It wasn't uncommon for me to ride them down to the threads.

Based on my readings here and elsewhere it seems lot of people do this. Discuss this please.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:59 AM

I have recently started using sealant as a preventative measure in “used” tubular - tires of a pair with previous puncture and/or heavily worn.

These tires for me then serve more gravel related duties. As an example - I am running a pair of slightly abused 28 mm Vittoria Corsas where I had a small puncture in the back -and a nice rip to a sidewall. I filled both with sealant and popped on a road bike I use when riding mixed gravel / road rides. Makes me feel a lot more confident and I get the pleasure of extending the life of these tires.

I have not started a practice of adding sealant to newly mounted tubulars - as I think it is overkill and think the benefit of feel / weight penalty is not worth it. And fresh tubulars get road duty where the used ones with sealant get rougher duties.

I however always have a reserve with me when riding tubulars as opposed to more sealant. I would not want to end up in a situation where I was reliant on sealant only to get me home and sealant plus an extra tube is just too much to carry for a road ride. But maybe this will change as my experience changes!
Old 03-07-2021, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I have sold off my tubular stuff but could go back to them tomorrow. I don't believe they would make my cycling any better but maybe they would. My beloved Campagnolo wheels started giving me grief, but as the youngest ones were practically 10 years old I figure they served me well.

I don't see myself going back to that technology but not because I'm intimidated by them. As others have mentioned, this is a non-issue.

But I'm curious about something some here mention - sealant in a tubular.

During all my years of riding this wasn't a thing. I just used good tubulars and glued them on and rode them until they either punctured or wore out, usually the latter. I repaired a few over the years but it wasn't common.

But it never once occurred to me to put sealant in them. When did this start? Is it common? And I'm talking about folks who have been riding them since before there was such a thing as sealant. Is it effective? I found tubulars to be extremely durable and flat resistant just as they were. It wasn't uncommon for me to ride them down to the threads.

Based on my readings here and elsewhere it seems lot of people do this. Discuss this please.

Also, for the OP, there is only one brand you need to know: Veloflex. They are the king.
I think I started to use it about the same time as tubeless MTB stuff started to become a 'thing'..I thought a 'why not', particularly since I didn't have latex tubes in them. Conti Sprinters and Vittoria Corsa Elite. Like many, I got very few flats with tubies anyway but..that 'staple' or whatever, that punctured before, now..tire gets a little soft, stop, see the goop come out, seals tire, top off air, continue. I have one on my Merckx, rear, that this happened to and I am still riding it.

I use Orange Seal

Yup, Veloflex very nice but yee gads, expensive..Vittoria, IMHO, 'just as good', for less $, for this overweight, old fart, recreational rider.

For dpmackey, right above
Quote:
as I think it is overkill and think the benefit of feel / weight penalty is not worth it. And fresh tubulars get road duty where the used ones with sealant get rougher duties.

I however always have a reserve with me when riding tubulars as opposed to more sealant.
Weight is a non issue, IMHO and I sure can't tell any difference in ride 'feel' with or w/o that wee bit of sealant. But, if it does for you..groovy.

I still ride with a preglued spare with me, even with gooped tires. Spare is non gooped, since it sits rolled up for a long time(see few flats above). Plus cell phone..altho I have had 2 flats in ONE ride only 3 times in 36 years of riding tubulars...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-07-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
For dpmackey, right above

Weight is a non issue, IMHO and I sure can't tell any difference in ride 'feel' with or w/o that wee bit of sealant. But, if it does for you..groovy.

I still ride with a preglued spare with me, even with gooped tires. Spare is non gooped, since it sits rolled up for a long time(see few flats above). Plus cell phone..altho I have had 2 flats in ONE ride only 3 times in 36 years of riding tubulars...
Well I have not been riding for 32 years - but I hope to! I have after 12 years on almost exclusively tubular tires not had a double puncture yet!

My experience with sealant is limited, I only have used it to repair punctures, not as a purely preventative measure. And I have to admit I add quite a bit to the punctured tires as I want to ensure the puncture was sealed as well as prep them for getting thrashed / coming punctures.

I think a tubular such as a Vittoria Corsa with Graphene - correctly inflated - provide me with enough confidence to not have to add sealant as a preventative measure. So my reply was more in surprise to the practice of using sealant in this preventative manner. Maybe not a bad idea, just interesting to hear the experiences of others!
Old 03-13-2021, 12:02 PM

Paceline is Amazing

Just after this thread started, a member here PM'd me with an offer of tires from his stash. Hadn't heard from him in a couple of days, so I was suprised with a USPS priority box stuffed full of Veloflex carbons! And this is what makes this place so special. Thanks Jason, hope you got the money....

Pics of them stretching on the rims -- I don't have any glue yet, so just trying them out for size. They were remarkably hard to fit initially; that stretching thing is no joke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0588.jpg (128.5 KB, 33 views)