Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 07:47 PM

ICAN carbon wheel thoughts

Anyone have experience with the carbon wheels ? good or bad ? Looking to pickup a set of carbon gravel wheels. Thanks
Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 PM

I had a set. They were fine. Broke one spoke but it was easy to fix, and didn't break any more. Rim braking quality was average for carbon. Good for the money.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 PM

I have a set on my road bike. Aero Disc 40. They are semi-light - 1320 grams and can be run tubeless with tape.

I don't have tons of miles on them (~2500) so I can't and won't comment on their reliability. But they spin fast and roll well. They have some flex - the spokes are really thin - so I am not sure how they would work as rim brake wheels. And with those spokes, not sure if I would use these specific wheels as gravel wheels.

You can get them with dt350/240 hubs - which is what I would recommend.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:44 PM

I have a set of their Aero50 wheels, in the rim brake variety. They're solid wheels, although the braking isn't as good as my past Reynolds, or my current Token wheels. They were incredibly easy to setup tubeless, even with GP5000's, and held air for a few days with no sealant, yet I can mount them by hand, which is reassuring for roadside fixes.

I feel like you can't go wrong with any of the main four or five over-seas carbon wheel manufactures, especially in a disc brake wheel, where the hubs are a known quantity(i.e. DT especially).

So with that said, look up BTLOS on this forum. They seem to be the favorite recently, and I've been really happy with my limited experience of them on my gravel bike. I'd lean their way unless you're shopping Ican's US warehouse to save time...
Old 01-28-2021, 05:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
I have a set of their Aero50 wheels, in the rim brake variety. They're solid wheels, although the braking isn't as good as my past Reynolds, or my current Token wheels. They were incredibly easy to setup tubeless, even with GP5000's, and held air for a few days with no sealant, yet I can mount them by hand, which is reassuring for roadside fixes.

I feel like you can't go wrong with any of the main four or five over-seas carbon wheel manufactures, especially in a disc brake wheel, where the hubs are a known quantity(i.e. DT especially).

So with that said, look up BTLOS on this forum. They seem to be the favorite recently, and I've been really happy with my limited experience of them on my gravel bike. I'd lean their way unless you're shopping Ican's US warehouse to save time...
Old 02-03-2021, 09:07 AM

I've had a pair for around a year now without problems. Excellent for the price.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:32 AM

Man they have some agressive pricing.

Any feedback on the quality of the hubs?

I'd love to try out a pair of tubeless 50mm with CX spokes. At $500 it sounds too good to be true.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Man they have some agressive pricing.

Any feedback on the quality of the hubs?

I'd love to try out a pair of tubeless 50mm with CX spokes. At $500 it sounds too good to be true.

They are really just formula hubs- which are used as OEM trek and cannondale hubs as well.

I have them and again, I can't say much except in the first 2500 miles they have been fine. I personally, would go with the DT hubs if I had to do it again.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
They are really just formula hubs- which are used as OEM trek and cannondale hubs as well.

I have them and again, I can't say much except in the first 2500 miles they have been fine. I personally, would go with the DT hubs if I had to do it again.
Good input, thank you. I agree the DT hubs are outstanding.

I like the 50mm R36 wheels. They're a Campy G3 knockoff. But only with a Shimano free hub, go figure.

I've emailed them asking if they can offer a Campy freehub.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:41 AM

I heard back and they offer the R36 in 50mm with a Campy compatible freehub too. The issue is shipping, $210 via DHL.

They look like a fun experiment, but not for $210 in shipping.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:15 PM

I am also looking at the ican wheels. Any more opinions?
Old 03-01-2021, 09:19 PM

For the folks in the states, some of the Ican stuff can be had on Amazon with Prime shipping.

Anyways was looking for a light alloy beaters and saw ICAN has some 27 deep set for like $220. With the good reviews here might be worth a shot.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post

I looked those BTLOS rims up and they looked promising and inexpensive. 5-6 weeks is a long wait though
Old 03-02-2021, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
I looked those BTLOS rims up and they looked promising and inexpensive. 5-6 weeks is a long wait though
Still not quick but my experience, ordering about 10 sets of rims, so far, has been about 3 weeks...4 at outside.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Still not quick but my experience, ordering about 10 sets of rims, so far, has been about 3 weeks...4 at outside.
That's good to know. Thoughts on the rims? Do the different braking surfaces make much difference? I would ride a different bike if it was wet more than likely.