Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 10:28 AM

OT- Knee brace recommendation?

Hyper extended my knee being stupid with some old MA buddies... I'm pretty sure it's healing, but now it has a tendency to pop forward unexpectedly. Could use a little support I think to help it strengthen up.

Any advice? Everything at Walgreens looks cheap and not sure they're any good.

Unfortunately I'm off cycling for the interim.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:30 AM

Last plea for help. Thx!
Old 02-14-2020, 11:38 AM

You may have better luck at a medical supply store (where one buys or rents wheel chairs, knee scooters, etc). To be honest, however, every single brace I had prior to the uber expensive doctor prescribed custom molded one were garbage.

Different knee braces exist for different ligament or tendon issues. I had one for the longest time designed for my torn ACL, turns out my real issue was a torn patellar tendon (from a hyper extension). Custom brace mentioned supported both ACL and patella and fit leg like a glove. Have you had a scan? You really need to know what's wrong before moving forward.

Last edited by donevwil; 02-14-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:40 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
Hyper extended my knee ...... I'm pretty sure it's healing, but now it has a tendency to pop forward unexpectedly. Could use a little support I think to help it strengthen up.
...Unfortunately I'm off cycling for the interim.
I am not a doctor, don't play one on the internet, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night....however, here is my $0.02
How long has it been since the injury?
Not sure what you mean by "tendency to pop forward"....like you now have propensity to hyperextend?
Go see a doctor to make sure nothing is really damaged....hopefully you have insurance...
"Support" helps prevent further damage, but does not strengthen
Not being able to cycle is not a good sign
Go see the doctor...worse case you need some surgery, but you will get it fixed. Best case, doctor tells you to ice, rest and rehab. Maybe prescribes an appropriate brace....which will be nice to have in case you are "stupid" with your buddies again.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM

I second the advice to see a doctor but if that's not practical see what these guys have in stock.
https://www.recyclewhere.org/vendor/...rland-street-0
If they have what you're after use it as long as needed and then return it for someone elses benefit.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:29 PM

look at these

See link:

https://www.betterbraces.com/knee-injuries

Always good to have a PT look at this. I have very expensive knee brace as no cartilage but I would talk with someone first.

Alan
Old 02-14-2020, 04:31 PM
Randomhead

I have recovered from hyper extending my knee by using kt tape. Might not be enough for your situation. What I found was just enough tension to keep it from going forward, but too much was a problem
Old 02-14-2020, 04:50 PM

+1 Better Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
See link:

https://www.betterbraces.com/knee-injuries

Always good to have a PT look at this. I have very expensive knee brace as no cartilage but I would talk with someone first.

Alan
Old 02-14-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I have recovered from hyper extending my knee by using kt tape. Might not be enough for your situation. What I found was just enough tension to keep it from going forward, but too much was a problem
This is what I’m thinking too. Not ready to see a doctor yet. It’s an old injury and just needs some added support

Thanks everyone! I will definitely check out better braces and will absolutely get medical help if it gets worse, but I can tell I’m on the mend.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:38 PM

If you haven't found a suitable knee brace yet, try to find a suitable one on cleverwander.com. After getting all the info there I have chosen to wear a hiking knee brace that I got online for about $30. It's great a value for that money, my knees feel better when I wear the brace. If you have knee problems, and you haven't got any knee braces you need to get one. You will feel more confident when you try to put more pressure on the knees. It's hard getting back to your old self after knee injuries, you need a lot of time to be able to put a lot of pressure on those knees, and a brace can aid a lot.

Last edited by willyboly15; 03-02-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:05 AM

Breg fusion XT the absolute best knee brace that all the pros use. If insurance can cover great otherwise expensive. I boughti on eBay ten years ago for $225. I think msrp is like $600.

https://www.breg.com/products/knee-b...xt-knee-brace/
Old 03-02-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
Hyper extended my knee being stupid with some old MA buddies... I'm pretty sure it's healing, but now it has a tendency to pop forward unexpectedly. Could use a little support I think to help it strengthen up.

Any advice? Everything at Walgreens looks cheap and not sure they're any good.

Unfortunately I'm off cycling for the interim.

Thanks in advance.
I just saw this.... I have used a Bauerfiend Genutrain, think that is right. It’s not cheap, but short of a custom ortho brace it’s good.

I’m no Dr, but you may have a torn miniscus based on what you say, that said... see a professional.

Best

Ray
Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 AM

acl survivor here. I've had just about every knee brace known to man circa 2006 and I gotta say my favorite is the old school ace white elastic one with the little patella cutout. Just enough compression with breathable comfort.

I still keep them around but haven't (k)needed any in years

this one says champion brand but I'm pretty sure ace still makes it:

Old 03-02-2021, 09:52 AM

+1 for seeing a doctor

My experience with knee braces came with a torn meniscus

I purchased the Shock Doctor 872 knee brace, it has stability bars on the sides velcro straps top and bottom and a cushioned patella

The knee sleeves were a joke, they keep slipping down, I do like the single knee strap/band they stay in place and offer support for cycling

If you haven't done ice therapy, just placing ice on your knees, shoulders wrist neck works great

Hope you get better
Old 03-02-2021, 11:55 AM

See a doctor or physical therapist. They deal with these injuries all the time. You might need some kinesiology tape instead of a brace.