Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 09:24 PM

OT unemployment identity theft warning

I just want to pass along that it looks like I've gotten hit with a scammer trying to apply for unemployment under my name and ssn. OR it's a scammer trying to get more of my personal info which I haven't gotten far enough into checking out.

When I got home from work this evening I checked the daily mail and there was a letter that looks like a legit from NYS dept of labor about "my" request for "my" weekly direct deposit request for my UI benefits and that the request had been rejected.

I believe that it's a legit dept of labor letter due to the email address matching the address that I checked on the NYS website. Once I was on the dept of labor website I made an online report about the scam. Tomorrow when I'm at work I'll stop and let the Sheriff know as well as the county personnel dept.

Keep an eye out all.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 PM

Last week, I received an email from the state unemployment office asking for details about one of our employees that had applied for unemployment. Imagine my surprise when it turned out the employee who made the claim was me!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:05 AM
I need you cool.

Happened to me twice in the past year.....freeze your credit with all 3 agencies.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:25 AM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Happened to me twice in the past year.....freeze your credit with all 3 agencies.
Ditto. This has been discussed. Tweakers/scammers suck.

I'm good with a penal colony. With no food and water.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
I just want to pass along that it looks like I've gotten hit with a scammer trying to apply for unemployment under my name and ssn. OR it's a scammer trying to get more of my personal info which I haven't gotten far enough into checking out.

When I got home from work this evening I checked the daily mail and there was a letter that looks like a legit from NYS dept of labor about "my" request for "my" weekly direct deposit request for my UI benefits and that the request had been rejected.

I believe that it's a legit dept of labor letter due to the email address matching the address that I checked on the NYS website. Once I was on the dept of labor website I made an online report about the scam. Tomorrow when I'm at work I'll stop and let the Sheriff know as well as the county personnel dept.

Keep an eye out all.
Yep, believe it.
It’s happening on a massive scale.
I was notified by my employer on Friday that they had just rejected a claim from NY State for unemployment benefits in my name.
They had a very large number all at once.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 AM

My brother in PA has been off work because of covid for many months. After 3 straight weeks without receiving his unemployment benefit check and realizing it wasn’t USPS induced, he called about it. On “hold” for 3 hours he finally talked to a human that said his unemployment claim was being investigated, but would give no details. Called back the following day and talked to someone else that mentioned it was because he was working...?? Really... where..? At _____car wash in New Jersey... he said he’s never been to Jersey... He called and talked to the owner who confirmed that a recent hire of an illegal from Honduras used his SSN, but hasn’t showed up for work the last few days. Brother called Jersey State Police who said to call PA State Police who said to call local police who said no crime was committed...?? Has to show “intent “ ... he could have just used a random number... said to watch for new CC accounts and to notify IRS in case they try to get his tax return... Car wash owner called my brother worried he’ll get in trouble for the hire...said it’s a car wash..as long as you can hold a sponge...you’re hired. But, if he would have followed hiring procedures and checked the SSN, this could have been prevented...
Old 03-02-2021, 10:50 PM

Here's just an update on the scam.

When I got to work this morning it turns out that so far I'm one of at least seven other employees that've had this happen to. I called our personnel dept and as soon as I told them I had a letter from the dept of labor they knew and told me that it's hit a bunch of county employees as well as agencies nationwide.

I sent them copies of what was sent to me and also called the credit reporting agencies.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:48 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I started doing this a few years ago, and it is good policy.
It's free and easy to do, I believe one requires a minimal fee to access...I forget, but it's great protection.