Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2024, 09:04 AM

Pedal question: PD M9120 vs PD M9100 XTR vs XTR

Curious for those who have used or use the pedal with the platform vs more traditional pedal.

I need a set for a bike that currently has no pedals as I'm tired of switching pedals every time I want to ride that bike.

Curious about opinions. I currently have the traditional ones but am wondering there's an upside to the larger platform.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:11 AM
Administrator

I have used both.

With modern mtb shoes with very stiff carbon soles, I can not tell one bit of difference between the two.

Last year, or a couple of years ago, I started a thread, and sought out the most roadlike mtb shoes and settled on a nice pair of Shimano shoes that are nice and light and stiff like a road shoe. I dont really think the platform on the pedal adds anything with a shoe like that.

Disclaimer, I'm reasonably lightweight and low power output.

Last edited by AngryScientist; 04-23-2024 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:27 AM

My take is you get the most out of those 9120 pedals wearing an all-mountain style (flat) vs more of a cross country shoe. The CC shoes don't seem to make as much contact on that back part. Some people also like the bigger pedal due to rock strikes...

Either way
Old 04-23-2024, 09:30 AM

I'm at least medium size (6'1", currently a little heavy at 180) and I agree with charliedid and angryscientiest.

I put out plenty of power and I don't even go for the stiffest shoes (mine are probably rated trail or all mountain or whatever, they're not full carbon) for MTB and I still have never gotten any benefit out of the platform.

And I very much value the pedal being more svelte to let me fit through smaller spaces before I do worry about rock strikes. I am way more likely to thread through things than try and jump things or ride right over them.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:33 AM

Thanks for those opinions. I’ll get the standard pedal.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:05 AM
Meh

Can confirm what charliedid said, the platform style is most relevant to all-mountain-style shoes, and for those shoes, it provides a better surface for cornering mountain bikes (dependent on technique). Totally irrelevant to stiff XC or "gravel" style shoes.

And I say this as someone who runs Saint pedals on their FS bike.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have used both.

With modern mtb shoes with very stiff carbon soles, I can not tell one bit of difference between the two.

Last year, or a couple of years ago, I started a thread, and sought out the most roadlike mtb shoes and settled on a nice pair of Shimano shoes that are nice and light and stiff like a road shoe. I dont really think the platform on the pedal adds anything with a shoe like that.

Disclaimer, I'm reasonably lightweight and low power output.
Same stiff shoe experience for me. I can’t tell any difference.

I do like having the larger platform on one bike, in case i ride with sneakers to the park with the kids.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:33 AM

Allowing people to test ride my choice of pedal, they unanimously agree the earlier version is worth seeking out even with carbon shoes. The extra few millimeters on the outboard side has been immediately noticed when riding back to back with the later version in your picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shimano pedal singular.jpg (120.3 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Old School; 04-23-2024 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Can confirm what charliedid said, the platform style is most relevant to all-mountain-style shoes, and for those shoes, it provides a better surface for cornering mountain bikes (dependent on technique). Totally irrelevant to stiff XC or "gravel" style shoes.

And I say this as someone who runs Saint pedals on their FS bike.
And I blame you for the scars on my left leg “cornering technique”..it works though but has taken a lot of practice!!! I’m able to mostly manage it on xtr 9100 but definitely see the benefit going to the platform and shoes using that method…
Old 04-23-2024, 12:21 PM

Having used both, my experience is that the "feeling" between both platform and non-platform is negligible when clipped in. I tend to use the platform pedals on bikes that I might want to use with normal street shoes in a pinch.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:01 PM
Shifty Member

So I use both and actually have the platform M8120 on my gravel and short travel full suspension bikes. For mtb, I appreciate it for hard cornering and it helps me mentally to reinforce where I should have my weight.

I use them on the gravel bike because I was getting hot spots on my foot and swapped them and surprisingly it got rid of them, so I got a pair for that bike and have been happy since.

I'm building up an XC hardtail and will most likely use the traditional 9100 pedals for that since I'll need more clearances to finesse my way through rock gardens and my style is different on hard tails. Note that I use flats with pins for my long travel mtb.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:37 AM

I use both on all of my bikes or an XT variant. I like the platform style and feel like out of the saddle I can tell a tiny difference. I like the platform for mtbing and hard out of the saddle efforts.

I am 225lbs and only 5'8, so not a typical cyclist body. I swapped a set just yesterday as the Look road pedals that came on my Mxxxxxo were creaking under hard out of the saddle efforts. Pretty sure it was the clear interface, but still drove me nuts. We did some 7 mile fast loop repeats yesterday and the XT pedals with the extra platform didn't even have a tiny creak!

I run the latest Sidi Drako shoes, so plenty stiff. My Mosaic has the non platform version as does my Serotta Legend. I don't have any issues with them at all and they work for me as well. I would say the difference is still pretty negligible all things considered.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 04-24-2024 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:41 AM

With my mtb shoes clipped into the 9120s I saw zero additional engagement - the shoe did not contact the platform anywhere. I *do* have a set on my fat tire bike as I occasionally ride unclipped (based on terrain).
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-24-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
With my mtb shoes clipped into the 9120s I saw zero additional engagement - the shoe did not contact the platform anywhere. I *do* have a set on my fat tire bike as I occasionally ride unclipped (based on terrain).
This is correct, and common.

However....if you use Shimano "Trail" shoes, the interface is perfect!
Old 04-24-2024, 01:41 PM

I have both styles and find the platform to be helpful for aligning the pedal while mountain biking and navigating tricky terrain while re-clipping after stopping or foot down.

If you ever ride the bike without clip shoes the platform is also nice.