Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlucci1106 View Post
FNG AeroDiscDi2 Racer Boi aspiring aesthete sluts: "What's a ferrule?"

RS: Match your tubeless valve stems to your frame color, ATMO.
Nah - match them to your headset, seat collar, and bar end plugs!
Old 09-21-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStar View Post
I wasn’t trying to be controversial just sharing my opinion...afterall this is a forum right? It’s nice that some feel defensive and assume I’m trying to be a “badass”. Someone who refers to themselves as "an effete elitist aesthetic slut" just isn’t my cup of tea ha. It just reminds me of those twits in Oasis haha. I guess the thread was just for those who want to ride the bandwagon and bring praise. I think a lot of his bikes are cool if that makes some feel better. Anyway that’s cool that he is on the forum and kudos for sticking to building bikes for 40 years. I’d like to ride one sometime for sure. That doesn’t mean I have to be buds with the guy. Who knows …if he’s as eccentric as he seems he’d probably rather have a beer and talk **** with me than the hordes of groupies he obviously has out there

The thread is not just for those who want to ride the bandwagon. I was the first to respond to you and I am not a groupie by any means. You just made a general negative statement which I don't think added anything. You see so much of this on this forum and most forums. What was the point of your post.

I would not call myself "an effete elitist aesthetic slut' but I do agree with what he said about the look of a bicycle. I might not be as obsessive about every detail as Richard is but I am very particular about the looks of everything I purchase. Most of the bikes I see on this forum are way too busy looking for me. For example color schemes need to be simple so that can go with jerseys, gloves and socks. Pro teams can have more colors on a frame because they are only matching one jersey.

I spend some time on shoe and watch forums and it shocks me to see some of the watches people buy and most of the clothes that are worn by people who are obsessive about shoes. But I don't post what I think about their photos unless they are asking for input.

Too each his own, but I buy quality items with a clean simple look that last me for a long time. I have three road bikes but the most recent purchase was 13 years ago.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
The thread is not just for those who want to ride the bandwagon. I was the first to respond to you and I am not a groupie by any means. You just made a general negative statement which I don't think added anything. You see so much of this on this forum and most forums. What was the point of your post.

I would not call myself "an effete elitist aesthetic slut' but I do agree with what he said about the look of a bicycle. I might not be as obsessive about every detail as Richard is but I am very particular about the looks of everything I purchase. Most of the bikes I see on this forum are way too busy looking for me. For example color schemes need to be simple so that can go with jerseys, gloves and socks. Pro teams can have more colors on a frame because they are only matching one jersey.

I spend some time on shoe and watch forums and it shocks me to see some of the watches people buy and most of the clothes that are worn by people who are obsessive about shoes. But I don't post what I think about their photos unless they are asking for input.

Too each his own, but I buy quality items with a clean simple look that last me for a long time. I have three road bikes but the most recent purchase was 13 years ago.

Jeff
Pretty much this.^^^^^^^^^
It used to be called “manners”.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Jeff
I’m going to go to bat for TiStar. I don’t think anything he said lacks civility or in any way violates the Forum rules. As far as negativity goes, one person’s “negativity” is another person’s “opinion.”

I like the persona Richard Sachs has cultivated. Elitist (his own words), acerbic, and witty. Works for me. He’s one of the few people in the bike industry to express an opinion beyond the prosaic matters of welds and tubing. Very few others come to mind. Maybe Dave Kirk and November Wheels, both of whom (based off their blogs and writing) I’d have no hesitation buying from.

That being said, RS has “willingly thrust himself into the public limelight,” a phrase burnished into memory from a mass communication law class. People should be free to like or dislike the persona he has cultivated. That is their prerogative.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Jeff
Raw Ti and stainless steel are your friends. 😉
Old 09-21-2022, 12:31 PM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-01-2022 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
My helmet accidentally matches my bike due to a last season sale

Pretty sure my tape would offend though it is impeccably wrapped.

I’m struggling though to mimic the bike requirements, plz help.

Did i offend with red bottle cage screws matched to the HT badge?

Should it be to gold letter? Or black like the DT Santa Cruz branding?

I'm pretty sure Jeff N can sort you out https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=287293
Old 09-21-2022, 04:22 PM
new day rising

Two points:

1) Expressing an opinion about a person, presumptively a private person even if they occasionally have a public presence, is not the same as expressing an opinion about an object.

2) If you get it, you get it. Sometimes I do, other times I don't. Occasionally you can learn something from those with more experience, if you take the time to listen. Of course, you don't have to (or even care) but that doesn't make the other person wrong.

One other thing - opinions expressed pseudonymously carry as much weight as their author's identity.

- Taz

Taz Taylor
ATL, GA
Old 09-21-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStar View Post
I wasn’t trying to be controversial just sharing my opinion...afterall this is a forum right? It’s nice that some feel defensive and assume I’m trying to be a “badass”. Someone who refers to themselves as "an effete elitist aesthetic slut" just isn’t my cup of tea ha. It just reminds me of those twits in Oasis haha. I guess the thread was just for those who want to ride the bandwagon and bring praise. I think a lot of his bikes are cool if that makes some feel better. Anyway that’s cool that he is on the forum and kudos for sticking to building bikes for 40 years. I’d like to ride one sometime for sure. That doesn’t mean I have to be buds with the guy. Who knows …if he’s as eccentric as he seems he’d probably rather have a beer and talk **** with me than the hordes of groupies he obviously has out there
I pretty much agree with your opinion regarding the way he comes across. However, I have to remind myself that my feelings towards "him" are often strengthen by the hoards of people that run to his defense. In his defense, he doesn't know most of these people and may very well wish they not bother to defend him.

I have met him at bike shows, interacted with him for years and years on this forum and across the hall and had the privilege of riding one his bikes at the Finger Lakes Ramble. My review of the bike at that time was that it left with me no impression. However, that is not a slight. To me it is a great compliment. The first time I rode the bike it disappeared under me and I didn't give it any thought. What more can you ask for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz-t View Post
Two points:

1) Expressing an opinion about a person, presumptively a private person even if they occasionally have a public presence, is not the same as expressing an opinion about an object.

2) If you get it, you get it. Sometimes I do, other times I don't. Occasionally you can learn something from those with more experience, if you take the time to listen. Of course, you don't have to (or even care) but that doesn't make the other person wrong.

One other thing - opinions expressed pseudonymously carry as much weight as their author's identity.

- Taz

Taz Taylor
ATL, GA

Two counterpoints:

1) Expressing a negative opinion about a person, as long as done respectfully, is perfectly acceptable. Even more so knowing that person my very well hear (read) the opinion. Nothing said in this thread has been disrespectful.

2) If you get it, you get it. Sometimes I do, other times I don't. Occasionally you can be agitated with the way some people come across even if you don't really interact with them directly. It's ok. We are all grown ups

One other thing - Not everyone acts significantly different under the shield of the internet.

- mg2ride

Non your buisness
Va Beach, VA

Last edited by mg2ride; 09-21-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:14 PM
Post Mod-ern

Don't need to see or hear the blog.

If only you knew what moderators deal with behind the scenes.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 09-21-2022, 06:18 PM

Didn't go back to re-read Richard's comment, but I'm 99.9% sure his comment was about how he feels when he sees one HIS frames built up by someone else.

Guess what? This wasn't about you or your bike, homeslice.

For a long time, Richard's sig (maybe across the hall) was something along the lines of "put in a nickle..."

The truth is, you don't even need a penny - he'll share his POV for $0.00, just like everyone else in this thread, in fact on this forum...

I rarely wade into these threads, but we live in a time when attention is a precious commodity and opinions are infused with engine cleaner - flammable stuff that may or may not be a substitute for a proper blueprint...

Who TF has time to post in threads about topics they don't care about, anyway?

I know Richard, at least a little bit, and I like the Oasis and Nick Cave comparisons, but I'll go further and (paying attention to the man's own words) say he's more of a Miles Davis type.

He'll upstage everyone, and other times hang back. He'll put together arrangements, even after all.this.time, that no one else seems to be able to consistently, reliably execute. He'll piss off others that perceive a prima donna attitude, who may or may not drop out next season anyway. The cool cats will invite him to the after party, he may or may not show up - and people will talk (sh*t) about him either way. He's cool with it. He will not shut up about his excellent wife. He's forgotten more than many of us will ever know. He did it all intentionally, except for large parts of the story where he didn't - and he'll tell you so (as he did right up front in that linked story).

But unlike mercurial rock/punk/art/goth/jazz stars, who often alienate at least a bunch people, Richard tends to make - and keep - friends. This seems to be the case with just about everyone who buys a frame or a bike, including second hand.

He might be precious about some things (cable wrap!), but then again he does not GAF about electric tape if he needs a bottle on a bike that doesn't have bottle bosses (for a reason, at one point).

Hey, if a Sachs frame isn't your thing, maybe check out Weis, like on the shirt Richard is wearing in one of the pics in the Silca blog. Could a handmade frame be more different? Or maybe similar, in some way. Richard would be the first to tell you that similar truly means not the same, anyway.

Do I have a Sachs frame? No.

Do I want a Sachs frame? Yes.

I hope we're all lucky enough to ride one, some day.

Have a lovely afternoon, fellow cyclistes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
My helmet accidentally matches my bike due to a last season sale

Pretty sure my tape would offend though it is impeccably wrapped.

I’m struggling though to mimic the bike requirements, plz help.

Did i offend with red bottle cage screws matched to the HT badge?

Should it be to gold letter? Or black like the DT Santa Cruz branding?

Old 09-21-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Pretty much this.^^^^^^^^^
It used to be called “manners”.
Yes. Remember the rule: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

The general courtesy is to at least wait until the body is cold.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Yes. Remember the rule: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

The general courtesy is to at least wait until the body is cold.
Agree with you 100%.
Didn’t work out too well here on the Queen Elizabeth discussion though.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:37 PM

No dog in the fight. Richard has cultivated a personality, sometimes I like, sometimes I think it's a little precious. Thats ok. Methinks he has a thick skin, you'd don't race cross in the Northeast without one.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post
Didn't go back to re-read Richard's comment, but I'm 99.9% sure his comment was about how he feels when he sees one HIS frames built up by someone else.

Guess what? This wasn't about you or your bike, homeslice.

For a long time, Richard's sig (maybe across the hall) was something along the lines of "put in a nickle..."

The truth is, you don't even need a penny - he'll share his POV for $0.00, just like everyone else in this thread, in fact on this forum...

I rarely wade into these threads, but we live in a time when attention is a precious commodity and opinions are infused with engine cleaner - flammable stuff that may or may not be a substitute for a proper blueprint...

Who TF has time to post in threads about topics they don't care about, anyway?

I know Richard, at least a little bit, and I like the Oasis and Nick Cave comparisons, but I'll go further and (paying attention to the man's own words) say he's more of a Miles Davis type.

He'll upstage everyone, and other times hang back. He'll put together arrangements, even after all.this.time, that no one else seems to be able to consistently, reliably execute. He'll piss off others that perceive a prima donna attitude, who may or may not drop out next season anyway. The cool cats will invite him to the after party, he may or may not show up - and people will talk (sh*t) about him either way. He's cool with it. He will not shut up about his excellent wife. He's forgotten more than many of us will ever know. He did it all intentionally, except for large parts of the story where he didn't - and he'll tell you so (as he did right up front in that linked story).

But unlike mercurial rock/punk/art/goth/jazz stars, who often alienate at least a bunch people, Richard tends to make - and keep - friends. This seems to be the case with just about everyone who buys a frame or a bike, including second hand.

He might be precious about some things (cable wrap!), but then again he does not GAF about electric tape if he needs a bottle on a bike that doesn't have bottle bosses (for a reason, at one point).

Hey, if a Sachs frame isn't your thing, maybe check out Weis, like on the shirt Richard is wearing in one of the pics in the Silca blog. Could a handmade frame be more different? Or maybe similar, in some way. Richard would be the first to tell you that similar truly means not the same, anyway.

Do I have a Sachs frame? No.

Do I want a Sachs frame? Yes.

I hope we're all lucky enough to ride one, some day.

Have a lovely afternoon, fellow cyclistes.
Wowza! Is RS like the Miles Davis of the “Kind of Blue” era or the “Bitches Brew” period? And who would be Coltrane/Zawinul? Inquiring minds want to know!