Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2131  
Old 10-03-2022, 11:59 PM
Dcberan Dcberan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17
Meant to reply to the original fork post. But the whole bike look great! Should have scrolled further. Love it.
Reply With Quote
  #2132  
Old 10-07-2022, 10:27 AM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,013
This week's build is a fillet brazed steel MRB....rim brakes and room for 35's. Yesterday the front triangle was brazed and finished...next up the rear triangle will be brazed to the front.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4167.jpg (61.1 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4172.jpg (43.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4177.jpg (46.0 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4180.jpg (44.6 KB, 270 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2133  
Old 10-07-2022, 01:51 PM
merckx merckx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,120
I just pushed the LIKE button.
Reply With Quote
  #2134  
Old 10-09-2022, 10:31 PM
camelbackkid camelbackkid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
I hope it's ok to rave in this legendary thread, as the proud owner of the bike destined for the northeast featured on the previous page--my (it's surreal to use that word) Onesto XL.

Every thing about this bike is just beautiful. No one needs me to explain Dave's talents--nor can I claim to fully understand them--but the process and product have been a joy to behold and I feel like a child on Christmas right now.

After a couple late nights assembling and a quick shakedown ride yesterday, today I rode along my favorite route for 120 miles with 6k ft of ascent under a crisp autumn sun and bright foliage. It was a gorgeous day to be on any bike but transcendent on my new Kirk.

I'm hesitant to claim to have a fully-formed opinion of the bike, as there are many variables at play (I haven't ridden tires larger than 25 on the road before--these are 30) and I've spent only an excitingly small amount of time with it. With that in mind, to say that this is the nicest thing I've owned feels woefully inadequate, as I haven't owned many nice things and this is not just a thing. (An experience with a material aspect? Does life itself fall under that criteria, and how would it compare? This bike begets the big questions...)

My requests for ride qualities were uselessly vague ("the right amount of the right kind of stiffness") but were answered superbly. Deciding between OS and XL tubing was tough, and I am very glad with this choice. It's stable, responsive, smooth, and it descends and corners wonderfully. Those words all sound like marketing tropes. It just feels right and I found myself happy in the big ring more than usual today. The fit feels perfect and I did not experience the shoulder and knee naggles that sometimes flare. Dave was patient as we dialed in my measurements and went above and beyond by suggesting adjustments to my position.

Photos just don't serve it. The contrast between the blasted gray and the gleaming mirror logos really pops in the light. The exposed joints are so cool. I've never cared much about how my bike looks, but now I find myself wishing components didn't have logos. I think I lucked out with the grays on the seatpost and stem working with the frame. I probably broke some rules standing the bike at an angle for these photos and having the cranks at the wrong angle. The previous version of me who didn't own this would be rolling his eyes.

Following along with the build was very exciting. With credit to one of Dave's instagram posts featuring this frame, my wife now calls me her "big strong rider." Life is good.

Heartfelt thanks to Dave for creating this bike, and to this community for spreading the good word.













Reply With Quote
  #2135  
Old 10-10-2022, 09:49 AM
DreaminJohn DreaminJohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 482
Awesome.

I wish you many happy miles.
__________________
_______________________________
Member of Silent Majority since 2003
"I didn't know what ATMO meant. So I asked."
Reply With Quote
  #2136  
Old 10-10-2022, 12:01 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,013
Nice job on the build....it looks just right to me eye.

Have fun with it!


dave



Quote:
Originally Posted by camelbackkid View Post
I hope it's ok to rave in this legendary thread, as the proud owner of the bike destined for the northeast featured on the previous page--my (it's surreal to use that word) Onesto XL.

Every thing about this bike is just beautiful. No one needs me to explain Dave's talents--nor can I claim to fully understand them--but the process and product have been a joy to behold and I feel like a child on Christmas right now.

After a couple late nights assembling and a quick shakedown ride yesterday, today I rode along my favorite route for 120 miles with 6k ft of ascent under a crisp autumn sun and bright foliage. It was a gorgeous day to be on any bike but transcendent on my new Kirk.

I'm hesitant to claim to have a fully-formed opinion of the bike, as there are many variables at play (I haven't ridden tires larger than 25 on the road before--these are 30) and I've spent only an excitingly small amount of time with it. With that in mind, to say that this is the nicest thing I've owned feels woefully inadequate, as I haven't owned many nice things and this is not just a thing. (An experience with a material aspect? Does life itself fall under that criteria, and how would it compare? This bike begets the big questions...)

My requests for ride qualities were uselessly vague ("the right amount of the right kind of stiffness") but were answered superbly. Deciding between OS and XL tubing was tough, and I am very glad with this choice. It's stable, responsive, smooth, and it descends and corners wonderfully. Those words all sound like marketing tropes. It just feels right and I found myself happy in the big ring more than usual today. The fit feels perfect and I did not experience the shoulder and knee naggles that sometimes flare. Dave was patient as we dialed in my measurements and went above and beyond by suggesting adjustments to my position.

Photos just don't serve it. The contrast between the blasted gray and the gleaming mirror logos really pops in the light. The exposed joints are so cool. I've never cared much about how my bike looks, but now I find myself wishing components didn't have logos. I think I lucked out with the grays on the seatpost and stem working with the frame. I probably broke some rules standing the bike at an angle for these photos and having the cranks at the wrong angle. The previous version of me who didn't own this would be rolling his eyes.

Following along with the build was very exciting. With credit to one of Dave's instagram posts featuring this frame, my wife now calls me her "big strong rider." Life is good.

Heartfelt thanks to Dave for creating this bike, and to this community for spreading the good word.













Reply With Quote
  #2137  
Old 10-10-2022, 02:34 PM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 29,985
Two thumbs up, looks great!
Reply With Quote
  #2138  
Old 10-10-2022, 07:50 PM
PortlyPuncheur PortlyPuncheur is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47
Such beautiful work and such a treat to read your commentary, Dave.
I keep telling myself to stop opening this thread. It's probably only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote
  #2139  
Old 10-11-2022, 08:47 AM
Munger Munger is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Onesto XL

What diameter seat post is on the Onesto XL?
Reply With Quote
  #2140  
Old 10-11-2022, 09:56 AM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munger View Post
What diameter seat post is on the Onesto XL?
The Onesto XL uses a 30.6 post.

dave
Reply With Quote
  #2141  
Old 10-11-2022, 10:59 AM
elvisthehorse elvisthehorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 12
seatpost??

i was going to ask. About the seatpost diameter. I bet that is a rocket ship.

I know diameter and wall thickness help with stiffness, but? most say seatpost doesnt always matter. I disagree. MY serotta fierte has a large seatpost tube with a shim down to 27.2. Its way stiffer than my Colorado tg. Which has the colorado shaped tubing. So the length of the tube?

Maybe Dave Kirk can educate me.

elivs
Reply With Quote
  #2142  
Old 10-11-2022, 11:54 AM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,013
Good morning -

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. Are you wondering if the seat post diameter has an effect on the ride quality?

I would say that both the amount of exposed seat post and the diameter of the post will have a small influence on the ride. If there isn't much post showing then the diameter of it will matter less.....if the amount of exposed post is long then the diameter will matter more.

In either case the post doesn't have a large effect....it's there for sure but it's small.

Does that address your question?

dave



Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisthehorse View Post
i was going to ask. About the seatpost diameter. I bet that is a rocket ship.

I know diameter and wall thickness help with stiffness, but? most say seatpost doesnt always matter. I disagree. MY serotta fierte has a large seatpost tube with a shim down to 27.2. Its way stiffer than my Colorado tg. Which has the colorado shaped tubing. So the length of the tube?

Maybe Dave Kirk can educate me.

elivs
Reply With Quote
  #2143  
Old 10-11-2022, 11:23 PM
elvisthehorse elvisthehorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 12
diameter of seat post effect how stiff the frame is?

Sorry if my post is written poorly.
Diameter of seat post tubing itself, effect how stiff the frame is in the BB area?

My fierte ti/carbon has a large seatpost diameter. I think it made the bike stiffer at the BB. compared to my other bikes which have a normal size seat tube.

Last edited by elvisthehorse; 10-11-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2144  
Old 10-12-2022, 12:36 AM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,013
Ahhh...I get you now.

You are referring to the seat tube diameter and not the seat post. Cool.

The diameter of the seat tube where is meets the bottom bracket does have some effect on the stiffness of the BB area....not as much as one might think but it's certainly a factor.

The tubes that have an outsized effect are the chainstays. Every watt of energy that you put into the pedal has to get to the rear wheel through the chainstays and if they are flexi the bike can feel vague or lack that wonderful snap or jump that the best bikes have. One can't make up for soft chainstays by making the down tube or seat tube bigger - it looks like you can but it doesn't work that way.

dave


Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisthehorse View Post
Sorry if my post is written poorly.
Diameter of seat post tubing itself, effect how stiff the frame is in the BB area?

My fierte ti/carbon has a large seatpost diameter. I think it made the bike stiffer at the BB. compared to my other bikes which have a normal size seat tube.
Reply With Quote
  #2145  
Old 10-12-2022, 12:09 PM
elvisthehorse elvisthehorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 12
Thank you DK

Thank you for your answer.

elvis the horse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.