Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 03-04-2019, 07:37 PM

You are exceptionally thoughtful and skilled in fabricating bikes, Dave. I love that rear derailleur cable guide- clean, and keeps it from potentially causing frustration when throwing a pannier on after some long days of calorie deficits.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:38 PM
IamEllis

Dan's Strada Fango

Often I build the Strada Fangos with rack and fender mounts for lots of flexibility, but Dan just wanted the option of running a light rear rack for a trunk bag. With no need for extra heel clearance or space for fenders, I built it to accept the largest tires Dan could imagine needing (Compass Barlow Pass 700x38). It'll also accept 650x48mm Switchback Hills for his future 650b wheelset!

Just enough clearance for the 38's!

Paragon Flat mount, thru-axle rear dropouts and SRAM Etap.

Nice graceful curve on this thru-axle disc fork.

The full Monty!

Dan's had it for a few weeks now, and he sent along this nice review after his first couple rides.

"I've now been out twice on my new Ellis; the first ride being last Saturday and again last night. It's a fantastic bike and I love it!
When I first rolled down my driveway I thought to myself that this feels clunky like my touring bike with heavy steering. Of course, then I realized I was also running 38mm tires like my touring bike and their bigger contact patch at slow speeds slows the steering down. Slow speeds meaning like 1-2 mph. Once I got the bike up to speed, it felt like my old Waterford. You set up the bike perfectly from my old measurements; it fits like a glove and I haven't touched any setting.

I love the geometry you used. I can dive into a turn easily and the bike just holds its line in a graceful arc. The big tires instill a ton of confidence while cornering. Climbing out of the saddle and throwing the bike around in a sprint feels like my Waterford used to. In other words, I am grateful that the bike feels just like a fast road bike. Only with bigger tires that I am really enjoying. Road buzz disappears at 38 or 40 psi."
Old 03-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Very cool pics and terrific detailed follow-up from the new owner.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:53 PM
IamEllis

Matt's Strada Disc w/Etap AXS

Matt's "Gentleman's Road Bike" is sporting some Gilles Berthoud stainless fenders to ensure that neither Matt nor his riding companions end up sporting a mud stripe up their front or back! Running 28mm Schwalbe Durano's right now, but could easily fit 35mm tires in without the fenders.

A mix of SRAM Red and Force Etap AXS gets the shifting and braking done with thru-axles holding the HED Ardennes+ wheels in front and back.

A crisply masked contrasting head tube and my teardrop shaped reinforcement where the hydraulic line enters the down tube.

If you look close you'll notice the stainless face on the upper dropout eyelet. I add stainless washers or use stainless parts on all the contact surfaces where parts will be mounted to keep paint chipping to an absolute minimum. It's a PITA, but it makes for a better bike.

Thru-axle dropouts up front blend gracefully into the blades, and some tidy fender mounts.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Looks like a great road, gravel and all weather bike. Love the color combo. New owner has a really nice versatile bike. Nice job Dave!

Tags
dave wages, ellis cycles