Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Late 90s Merlin Ti MTB - What do I do with it?!

My uncle recently gave me his old mountain bike. He only road it around a parking lot and then garaged it for nearly 20 years. His words, "the bike probably has about 200 yards on the odometer." Now that he's in his mid-70s he's never going to ride it so he gave it to me.

Frame: Merlin Titanium
Fork: Fox Shocks Judy SL
Groupo: Shimano XTR m950
Wheels: Spinergy Roks XE
Stem: Syncros
Bars: Ti Bar

What should I do with it? It's a great retro MTB. But I wouldn't want to take it on any rocky single track. Could I drop new wheels and a modern fork on it to make it more trail worthy? Do I keep it for a retro fire road day? Or do I sell it to get a modern geo MTB?

Any suggestions welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merlin Ti 2.jpg (97.1 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg Merlin Ti.jpg (99.6 KB, 393 views)
Old 09-30-2019, 01:23 PM

That is freaking awesome. No way I'd sell it but I love my Moots 26er. And in that condition? ? Incredible. Maybe get the fit, cockpit on it that suits you and ride the crap out of it! Or leave as is for a truly old school masterpiece.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Vendor

That's a beauty. Those Merlins were some of the holy grails to have back then. If you just want something to tool around on and not tackle anything too rough, I'd start with some nice Rat Trap Pass tires and think about a drop bar conversion and rigid fork. If you really want to get into serious mtn biking, sell it and get something new.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:38 PM

I’d find a fork for it, and maybe drop bars and make it a commuter/knock around style bike.

It’s a beautiful bike.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:40 PM

OMG those wheels.........yeah you gotta keep that thing and ride it. Those wheels would be suspect tho
Old 09-30-2019, 01:43 PM
hoolered

Sell and buy a modern mountain bike. Old mountain bikes don’t handle well.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:46 PM
Administrator

wow, that was probably a pretty pricey bike when new, to not have been ridden much. i'd keep it just as is and do fire roads and mellow trails on it!
Old 09-30-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post
Sell and buy a modern mountain bike. Old mountain bikes don’t handle well.
Yeah I wanna change my answer to this ^^^

These old skool bikes do handle terribly and at 6'2" I could NEVER find one to fit right. They're a cool showpiece or conversation piece but that's about where the appeal will end.

my .02
Old 09-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Classics Fan

A friend of mine has an older Klein mountain bike. He has the same dilemma. it is a great piece of history, and he doesn't want to get rid of it, but he doesn't really want to ride it either.

Unless you find the right buyer, you're never going to get that much money for it. So, if you're really wanting to ride MTB more, best bet is just to pony up and get a modern bike and let that be a "special occasion bike" that you bring out for fun a few times a year.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:53 PM

First thing I would do is send the saddle to me to dispose of properly.

I would think some light trails would be fun on that bike. Still it really depends somewhat on how you intend to use the bike, and how it fits, but its a pretty great spec (for its vintage) as it sits and 200 yards of use shouldn't have worn out anything but those wheels. I'd replace the wheels out of concern for their reputation and then ride the bike as-is until it no longer brings you any enjoyment. I wouldn't sink a ton of money into replacing parts unless it makes the contact points more comfortable for you. As long as the fork is working, I wouldn't replace it.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 09-30-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:58 PM

super commuter!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:10 PM

I would find the trails that your uncle would have been riding on with this bike and just ride. The bike did fine back then and will still do fine. Sure, you are not going to win an enduro race, but would still be a fun bike to ride.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Don´t make it into a commuter. Don´t change anything. Just ride it... or sell it to someone who appreciates what you have there and knows how to ride it.
It´s fast, light, balanced 26in hardtail.
xtr m950 there looks brand new.That´s a killer build. There is even a titanium riser bar. That saddle... mine has half leather cover left and i can´t find anything better to replace it.
Ask in a mountain bike forum. That is a great bike and a lot of fun to ride anywhere.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:20 PM
cmg

you guys clamor for something that will hold 40mm tires and when you get one you don't know to do. change the fork, change the wheels, tires, change the drivetrain for something with a large cassette, maybe a single up front. or ride the heck of it as it is. Just because it doesn't have disk brakes doesn't mean it won't stop. funny
Old 09-30-2019, 02:32 PM

Here's some more practical advice: ride it once for fun then part it and sell it all. That's a mid 90s grail build. A LOT of guys would LOVE to get their hands on those wheels, that M950 group, that post/stem, and even the bars and saddle. Unless you have a specific attachment to it, sell it to people who want it more. In that condition it would be foolish to ride it as intended for more than just a quick ride and devalue it. Take that $$ and get a modern MTB - they ride miles better. Especially if you haven't tried a full squish MTB from the last 4-5 years.

But for the love of god and all that is holy, don't turn that thing into a commuter.

Last edited by zzy; 09-30-2019 at 02:35 PM.