Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 04:39 PM

Enve 3.4 SES vs SES AR rims

Hello everyone, I am not trying to start a clincher vs tubeless flame war but am getting a new bike built and have to choose rims. I am coming from a clincher only experience and don’t have any negative experiences that are pushing me the tubeless way. But I am planning to run 30m tires and the bike has clearance for 32mm. Wondering if I should pick the AR rims for their ability to support wider tires ( will be first to admit that I am not fast enough to gain the aero benefit).

But I listened to a recent CyclingTips podcast and they scared me about using hookless rims. If I run the AR rims with inner tubes , how hard is it to fix a roadside flat and am I putting myself in danger?

I might run tubeless but that is in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftjunkie View Post
Hello everyone, I am not trying to start a clincher vs tubeless flame war but am getting a new bike built and have to choose rims. I am coming from a clincher only experience and don’t have any negative experiences that are pushing me the tubeless way. But I am planning to run 30m tires and the bike has clearance for 32mm. Wondering if I should pick the AR rims for their ability to support wider tires ( will be first to admit that I am not fast enough to gain the aero benefit).

But I listened to a recent CyclingTips podcast and they scared me about using hookless rims. If I run the AR rims with inner tubes , how hard is it to fix a roadside flat and am I putting myself in danger?

I might run tubeless but that is in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 3.4 SES and also the 3.4ARs. I run both with tubes, never tubeless. Tubes are fine. If I were going the route of 30mm tires, I'd get the ARs. I'm running 33s on mine at present.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:39 PM

I have over 1000 miles on 3.4AR with 38mm gravel kings.

Not one issue, problem, leak or flat.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:47 PM

The AR rims are substantially more aero than the regular 3.4's if you plan on running 28-32mm tires. Even if you don't race, you for sure lose a lot of the benefit of the 3.4's by running 28 or 30mm tires. You do have to use tubeless ready tires, you do not have to run them tubeless though. I really wouldn't bother with tubes honestly, there's really just no reason. I've personally had nothing but positive experiences running 28-30mm tires tubeless. The current crop of tubeless tires really is that good, and it's not challenging to throw a tube in to a tubeless setup if you get a flat that doesn't seal.

Enve ships their rims and wheels with everything to run them tubeless besides sealant, just let your bike shop set it up tubeless and if it's really a pain to you, run them with tubes.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I have 3.4 SES and also the 3.4ARs. I run both with tubes, never tubeless. Tubes are fine. If I were going the route of 30mm tires, I'd get the ARs. I'm running 33s on mine at present.
Thanks for the feedback. Would you say seating/unseating the tire from the AR rims is easier/harder than the non-AR rims?
Old 10-19-2020, 10:35 PM

Edit: Did more googling and answered my own question

Last edited by jimoots; 10-19-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:01 AM

Just commenting to say I’m running the 29c Enve tires, tubeless, on my 4.5AR and really dig them. They come out to about 32c inflated. Have done light gravel, chip seal, pavement with them without issue. Great option if you go this route.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftjunkie View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Would you say seating/unseating the tire from the AR rims is easier/harder than the non-AR rims?
I've not done a side by side trial of this sort, but neither seemed problematic, as I recall. From memory, I'd say they were about equal and neither posed a problem....with the caveat that I haven't run the ARs tubeless and only tubed. Ive not done anything extreme on the ARs either, the most punishing being gravel. No trails.