Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2022, 09:18 AM

MTB saddle recommendations

I need a new MTB saddle.

I have a Trek MTB I got this year and it came with a Bontrager saddle... I have tolerated it for 6 months cause as long as I actually use the bike for "serious MTB" I spend a lot of time out of the saddle. But it's too wide and it's not comfortable.

Locally most of the bike shops are aligned with Trek/Specialized/Giant and they only carry those saddles and especially the Trek/Specialized ones will hard sell you on those saddles and also hard sell you that you should be on a 145-155mm saddle no matter what.

I basically need a 130mm saddle that the manufacturers says is safe for MTB, not really looking for anything fancy. Steel rails, durable, doesn't need to be weight weenie. Cutout or no cutout is probably fine.

I used to like the Fizik Tundra but they are not that easily found and seem to be price gouged. They seem to be available direct from Fizik but Fizik doesn't seem to ship to the US. I have long liked the Arione FWIW, those seem to be available but the long tail is too long for out of the saddle riding IMO and even though Fizik seems to claim some of them are safe for MTB I don't really feel like they will hold up.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:28 AM

Specialized Phenom Expert is the only MTB saddle I’ve ever used. I don’t know if it comes in a 130 though.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:31 AM

I always found that for MTB riding the width of the saddle made a big difference for times you had to get your butt behind the saddle...

I never ran a dropper post, though, so maybe one of those eliminates this issue.

SPP
Old 10-13-2022, 09:33 AM
n - 1

I’ve used SMP Glider on an mtb (more bikepacking bike). It’s rated for MTB use, per the website. 136mm width. One of the most comfortable saddles I’ve ever used. Fyi, mine was on an XC bike with some saddle/bar drop. Not sure how it’d work with more upright riding position.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/glider.html
Old 10-13-2022, 09:34 AM

Every mountain bike I've bought has come with a WTB saddle. Current bike has a Volt, which comes in a 135mm width. Rocket is 130mm but only comes in titanium rails, so is more expensive.

I am not too picky about saddles, usually keep whatever came on the bike, but I'm curious to try an Ergon, but I don't know how narrow those go.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:35 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I need a new MTB saddle.

I used to like the Fizik Tundra but they are not that easily found and seem to be price gouged.
If you like the Tundra you might want to check this out:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ght=fizik+gobi
Old 10-13-2022, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, maybe I'll try another WTB.

I have a WTB on my old MTB but it is excessively wide just like the Bontrager one. Even though it's too wide it's design kind of keeps it working.

I am super skeptical about finding a Phenom that isn't too wide. I really need saddles with a relatively narrow nose that flare out towards the back without getting too wide in the middle. Spec and Trek are both on a kick right now that everyone needs wider saddles and men and women should be able to ride the same saddles.. the changes they seem to be making that make the saddle tolerable for women (wider nose and middle of saddle) seem to be what ruins them for me. Indeed the last Bontrager saddle I had tried on my road bike in that style ended up on my wife's bike and it's good for her, it was horrible for me.

I have rode SMP in the past on the road and they were pretty good but I kind of feel like it's probably more than I want to spend here.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:40 AM

Ergon makes some nice MTB saddles
https://www.ergonbike.com/en/saddle-selector.html
Old 10-13-2022, 09:44 AM

Check out the 611 from SQLab. Besides being comfy (YMMV), they've got low stack heights to ensure maximum dropper length. The mid/high-end models have a layer of abrasion resistant fabric on the edges, which does an amazing job of stopping damage should you lay the bike down.

The nose looks wide, but it's a half-snub saddle so doesn't feel like it.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:31 AM
Meh

Based on your description, the WTB Volt is the saddle you need and it comes in 135mm. I'm fairly sure the extra half a cm won't bother you. CrMo rail model is less than $50 new, so you won't even be out that much if you end up not liking it. Highly recommended.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:33 AM

I like the fizik antares shape for my mountain bikes.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:41 AM

Try a modern style short nose saddle, don't worry about the width on these as much they fit different.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:43 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
Try a modern style short nose saddle, don't worry about the width on these as much they fit different.
FWIW, I tried one of these on a mountain bike (Spesh Power) and it didn't work for me at all. At least with the terrain around here, you need to be able to get forward on the saddle occasionally when climbing steeps. It's probably fine if you primarily climb steeps out of the saddle.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:53 AM
n - 1

Every WTB saddle I’ve had have been way too soft for me. And caused way too many issues. In case you’re sensitive to that.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:58 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
FWIW, I tried one of these on a mountain bike (Spesh Power) and it didn't work for me at all. At least with the terrain around here, you need to be able to get forward on the saddle occasionally when climbing steeps. It's probably fine if you primarily climb steeps out of the saddle.
Probably depends on the bike's geometry. I have a short-nosed Specialized Power saddle on my Epic Evo and the front of the bike stays down just fine. On my former Santa Cruz Chameleon, I had to ride the nose of a long saddle and the front still wanted to pop up on the steep stuff no matter how much I leaned into it.