Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 04:11 PM

Talk to me about "Gravel" handlebars

So my Zanconato gravel/all-road bike has some 3T Ergonova bars in aluminum. They're OK in terms of shape but they're not Di2-ready. I drilled a hole in the end of the bar when I built the bike to accept the 'brain' in the end of the bar. But I'm not keen on any more drilling, especially in the center of the bar. Where I currently drilled undergoes no stress because I don't hold the bar at the end.

Anyway, I see these nice Di2 installations where the wires are all tucked in nicely and run down the brake line. Often the whole thing is shrouded cleanly in a wrap.

I'd like that.

I'd also like a bar with short reach because these levers are crazy long.

What are some good bars? I like a tiny bit of flare, like 1 CM per side like on the Ergonova bars. But I'd like them to be Di2 compatible for a clean look.

Also, what's the point of the crazy wide bars? I can't imagine myself going that way. For me this is still a road bike, just one optimized for unpaved roads.

Talk to me. Bar suggestions? Di2 setup suggestions for a clean install?
Old 01-24-2021, 04:37 PM

my take

bars that enable internal routing of hydro lines and di2 wires look smoother (maybe) but are a pain in butt if you ever want to redo stuff. Requires dealing with brake fluid, bleeding, new barbs and olives. I now prefer being just fine with external routing except for the wire that goes to the bar end brain box.

and I think these are my fave of 3 brands/models tried so far.

Zipp Service Course SL 70 XPLR handlebar:

https://road.cc/content/review/26617...xplr-handlebar
Old 01-24-2021, 04:57 PM

I've been running Enve All Road bars and they are very comfortable and can handle just about anything.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:18 PM

PRO Discover 6 degree with “Di2 Integration” and “semi-internal” routing? I’m using them on my Zank, but not Di2.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:50 PM

"Gravel" handlebars.

Did I detect a smidge of irony or have you been drinking the kool aid?
Old 01-24-2021, 05:54 PM

Pro discover handlebar

I have the aluminum version on my Roubaix and the Zipp version on my Creo. I prefer the bend and the flatish top near the hoods of the Zipp.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:55 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
"Gravel" handlebars.

Handlebars are a personal choice, like pedals and saddles.'Gravel' handlebars have been Marketed lately has flared drops or extra wide. However, if you never ride in the drops are have a very narrow upper body what's the big deal? I'd run whatever shape/width/drop is the most comfortable, bonus if routing is clean for your group set of choice.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
"Gravel" handlebars.

No kool aid here. I’m just curious what people use and why. This is a road bike. Just one optimized for unpaved roads. But I am definitely interested in new bars. I may just end up with my favorites: Deda Zero 100 HRM road bars. But I’m hopeful I can find something optimized for Di2 if that’s a good idea. Maybe it’s not.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Handlebars are a personal choice, like pedals and saddles.'Gravel' handlebars have been Marketed lately has flared drops or extra wide. However, if you never ride in the drops are have a very narrow upper body what's the big deal? I'd run whatever shape/width/drop is the most comfortable, bonus if routing is clean for your group set of choice.
How sweet that you're mansplaining to me. Thank you. It's all marketing. But since you're a sage you knew that.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:14 PM

I have a set of EA70 AX bars with GRX Di2 with the same routing you are interested in. The left lever has a line that goes to the “brain” of the left bar end and then back to the right. A long cable then exits from the left to an ew-wu111 wireless unit stuffed into the downtube. A junction box is also in the downtube and necessary wires port to front and rear derailleurs. With this setup, the only holes are drilled in the bar ends. It works slick.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
How sweet that you're mansplaining to me. Thank you. It's all marketing. But since you're a sage you knew that.
If you have something to add please add it. If you’re just going to try to be provocative for the sake of being provocative keep it out of this thread. I’m not looking for controversy. I’m looking for more appropriate bars for the bike in question.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:22 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Notice how you were the one who put gravel in quotes without actually contributing to the thread in anyway whatsoever. Cute.

OP:Big fan of Zipp SL70 Ergo carbon bars for non-paved road riding. Nice tops, nice drops. Not sure on the di2 compatibility though.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...rbon-handlebar

they also make an alloy version.
https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/hb-dbsc-sl7e-b1

Finally, a really useful post from another thread here in the classifieds:
https://bikepacking.com/index/gravel-bars/

Last edited by kppolich; 01-24-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:16 PM

I have the EA70 AX with GRX di2 and the routing isn’t quite as clean as what you guys have going. I like the ergonomic of the bar shape pretty well though. Thinking I may try a carbon bar for some added vibration damping and compliance when I eventually get a Ti stem to match my bike. I’m not sure if the Enve gravel bar has enough 31.8mm space for a light and a bell?
Old 01-24-2021, 08:37 PM
Deconditioned!

I have the Pro Discover medium flare (12 degree). They have the internal routing for the bar end. Everything else goes below the tape. I really liked them. The flare was nice and not too much. I actually like the idea of having a little flare on road bikes (that's how I ride mine).

Anyhow, mine are a 40 and are too narrow for me. So if you'd like them, hit me up. Half of retail = $30, shipped. Barely used. No issues.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
No kool aid here. I’m just curious what people use and why. This is a road bike. Just one optimized for unpaved roads. But I am definitely interested in new bars. I may just end up with my favorites: Deda Zero 100 HRM road bars. But I’m hopeful I can find something optimized for Di2 if that’s a good idea. Maybe it’s not.
I have flared bars from Ritchey and Salsa. I started with the Salsa bars on my gravel bike and liked the flare so much, I've been putting them on my road bikes, albeit with less flare.

I went really shallow on the gravel bike bars so I could ride in the drops continuously. I even double taped the drops to dampen the shock of riding rough stuff.