Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2024, 03:21 PM

Bike delivered with lower spec wheels from retailer...what's my recourse?

I took delivery today of a new bicycle. It was at a deep discount, but the wheels that came were even lower spec than the mid level wheels that were listed on both their website and the manufacturers as well. After contacting them about it their response was basically those are the wheels the dealer shipped them with now go pound sand!

I would like to keep the bike, but I have no use for the wheelset other than it is the only set I have with the freehub this set up requires. I could have dealt with the mid tier wheels for a while and would have likely used them until I upgraded, but this oem set is almost 2000 grams and not what was advertised. I am curious as to if I have any recourse or if this is just how business gets done these days?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 08-02-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 03:24 PM

Sounds like it is worth contacting the manufacturer. Maybe there is a regional rep or someone like that who can step in?
Old 08-02-2024, 03:25 PM

A lot of bike websites specifically call out that parts on the actual bike may be different. I think if you got a discount there's not much you can do.
Old 08-02-2024, 03:27 PM

weird story

you name no names. who sold you a POS?
Old 08-02-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
A lot of bike websites specifically call out that parts on the actual bike may be different. I think if you got a discount there's not much you can do.
There was no such disclaimer on the site, but I have seen them. I would be happy with a N3W freehub for an existing wheelset!

Old 08-02-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
you name no names. who sold you a POS?
The bike is a Pinarello Grevil and the shop is Epic Cycles. Stated wheels were the Fulcrum Rapid Red 500, but they were shipped with 900 series.

Old 08-02-2024, 03:55 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Did we pay with a Credit Card?
Old 08-02-2024, 04:06 PM

I think this is how business is done these days if we let it be done this way. I’d call their bluff and return the bicycle for credit (if you’re able to). Getting it back demonstrates these things do matter and may then be a bigger problem for them to solve than the value differential of the expected wheelset.

I’m all for voting with my feet. It’s also no discount at all if you wouldn’t have bought the bicycle for that price with the inferior wheelset. To me discounts are quite meaningless - purchasing is a price/value judgement and any original outdated or unrealistic MSRP is irrelevant.

Personally I also wouldn’t engage with the manufacturer nor any distributor or rep if I was buying from a retailer. Thats their job. Let them fix it.

Last edited by osbk67; 08-02-2024 at 04:16 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 08-02-2024, 04:11 PM

Details matter. To me anyway. I would return the whole bike if I had to. As mentioned if you paid with a credit card call them. Let them use their weight to squeeze the seller.
Old 08-02-2024, 04:17 PM

You just need to have a calm, honest discussion with the shop. Simply discuss the facts.

If the wheels are truly a much lower level than advertised, the shop should recognize that. Some other customer may not notice it, but you do and the shop certainly should. That's not fair. The shop needs to admit that you got lower level wheels.

I have no idea how these disputes are handled, but I'm guessing the shop needs to contact the distributor(?) and figure it out. If they still tell you to pound sand, maybe contact the distributor yourself.

I admit, you're in a tough spot. You want to ride the bike, but you really don't want to use those wheels because if you do come up with a solution, you don't want to give them used wheels back. Frustrating.

I think the shop needs to be more engaging.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2024, 04:28 PM

1) I would speak with the shop by written communication and get them to admit that they sent you something that does not match what was advertised (sale pricing should not matter unless as a matter of the sale you were supposed to get cheaper wheels).
2) Request a refund and then ship it back. Tell them you next step is to contact your CC company and dispute the charge if they refuse (or you cannot come to an agreement).
3) Contact you credit card and give them a copy of the original listing, a copy of the spec you received, and a copy of the written response from them acknowledging they difference of spec, and then let your CC company deal with it if they refuse to be reasonable.

*While the manufacturer may have a disclosure about "specs can change" if the dealer has the wheels specifically listed on their website and do not have a similar disclosure, they need to honor it no matter what the manufacturer sent them; it is there problem and not yours. This falls under truth in advertising laws.

NYS: https://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-hel...g-advertising/

Last edited by NYCfixie; 08-02-2024 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 04:30 PM

That’s called a bait and switch. I would get them to make it right in your mind or return.
Old 08-02-2024, 04:50 PM
I need you cool.

Looks like the bike is still up on their website (49% discount) and listed with the Fulcrum Rapid Red 500 wheels...

I would get a screenshot of that and save it....

Bottomline is that bike was not delivered described....you are entitled to a refund (nevermind the website says "final sale")...what NYCfixie says above.
Old 08-02-2024, 05:13 PM

They have agreed to take the bike back. I would have preferred to just have the proper wheels instead as I do like the rest of the bike, but the bait and switch is enough for me to send it back. It's sad that this is what these companies have become. They even had the nerve to say I was the only one who notified them of this or even complained! I find it hard to believe nobody else dropping thousands on this bike noticed the lower end wheels!

Old 08-02-2024, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Even at a steep discount, that's still a lot of money for a bike, at least in my world.

I would send it back. The bike market seems to be collapsing, other deals will turn up.

I agree that the shop should have tried to find some middle ground to make it right with you. It costs them money to take the bike back and the ill will that goes along with it.

Would they sing the same tune if you were a local and walked in to talk to the manager/owner of the shop? Probably not, but the faceless nature of some ecommerce really does suck in some cases.