Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I am sorry for your loss. Nice tribute, though. I always read the only way to get over a dog's death is to get another one, so you know what to do

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Yep. Makes finding bib shorts a problem.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:55 PM

Lots of good lookin' dogs here.

I've been debating whether or not to post this, because it brings back bad personal memories and I don't want to rain on a happy thread, but I'm gonna risk it.

A few years ago my ex-wife decided that the husband she chose wasn't good enough anymore, so she got rid of me.

A few months later she decided that the dog she chose wasn't good enough, either, and she had the dog euthanized.

Shadow was a good dog.

She'd run around out in the woods all night, come home tired and hungry in the morning, and crash. She loved to go on our walks, although she would often take off like a rocket, and even after I broke into a full sprint she'd still be dragging me by the leash, wanting to go faster. It was kind of incongruous since she, like many dogs, loved to stop and sniff everything and see what was going on. Maybe a turtle was here yesterday, a fox crossed the driveway last night, and O, man, do those rotting leaves smell good!!!
Old 05-25-2021, 02:55 PM

These bums love the sun
(both rescues)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC0B3348-A6CD-422B-8D6F-27941851FA74.jpg (129.3 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by 2000m2; 05-25-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I always read the only way to get over a dog's death is to get another one, so you know what to do
My wife says that she will want to have some free time, to travel, to not worry about the dog, etc...

I give her exactly 24 hours.

Unfortunately, the typical lead time for our breed is two years. I'm not willing to introduce a second dog into the house as Max enters his senior years...he's been ruler of the roost for too long...and is not happy about the energy a pup generates.

And our next dog should be with us until we are in our mid-70s, so I'm not waiting too long!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-25-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Lots of good lookin' dogs here.

I've been debating whether or not to post this, because it brings back bad personal memories and I don't want to rain on a happy thread, but I'm gonna risk it.

A few years ago my ex-wife decided that the husband she chose wasn't good enough anymore, so she got rid of me.

A few months later she decided that the dog she chose wasn't good enough, either, and she had the dog euthanized.

Shadow was a good dog.

She'd run around out in the woods all night, come home tired and hungry in the morning, and crash. She loved to go on our walks, although she would often take off like a rocket, and even after I broke into a full sprint she'd still be dragging me by the leash, wanting to go faster. It was kind of incongruous since she, like many dogs, loved to stop and sniff everything and see what was going on. Maybe a turtle was here yesterday, a fox crossed the driveway last night, and O, man, do those rotting leaves smell good!!!
My condolences on Shadow. Not sure how to respond to the other situation, except to say that change is sometimes good. I hope that's applicable in your case.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:34 PM

So many cute dogs! One day i will have my own pup.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:43 PM

Great thread. Here’s our girl Nadi. And her in her happiest place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FABA83EB-1B2B-4415-8E93-0F15FDE14C85.jpg (41.0 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 0D0E0509-7E5F-401E-8212-9CB1B4C98639.jpg (80.6 KB, 253 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
That's a Shiba correct?

A buddy told me once that that the breed is similar to cat's and extremely independent. That true with yours?

Good looking pup either way
Old 05-25-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
My wife says that she will want to have some free time, to travel, to not worry about the dog, etc...

I give her exactly 24 hours.

Unfortunately, the typical lead time for our breed is two years. I'm not willing to introduce a second dog into the house as Max enters his senior years...he's been ruler of the roost for too long...and is not happy about the energy a pup generates.

And our next dog should be with us until we are in our mid-70s, so I'm not waiting too long!
Can't argue with a dog not liking pups!

I read this heartbreaking/heartwarming thing on Reddit a few years ago about how to get over the loss of a pet. Someone said if you introduce a pup into a home with a senior dog, the pup will pick up the old dogs habits and it'll be as if their legacy has carried on after they pass and I thought that was really sweet. And here I am getting all teary just thinking about that!

My second rescue, who was a shell of a dog when we first got him, now copies everything his (younger) brother does, who we had for a year prior to the second rescue. It's so damn cute. Wherever Buzz goes, Ernie follows. Whatever Buzz does, Ernie copies.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
Looks like both of the girls are in their happy place. Beautiful.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:03 PM

Our boy Axel, adopted in March of last year as all the lockdowns began. He's probably the lowest drive Malinois I've had, or been around. He was found as a stray, so the last year has been a lot of training, but he's getting better every day, super smart.

IMG_8453

IMG_8426
Old 05-25-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
That's a Shiba correct?

A buddy told me once that that the breed is similar to cat's and extremely independent. That true with yours?

Good looking pup either way
Yep she’s a runt of a Shiba. I would say that description isn’t too off. My friend was visiting this past weekend and re-named her Cat-Dog because of her peculiarities as a dog. She can be quite independent, for example loves hanging out in her little den under the couch but also loves attention. She was kind of a brat as a young pup but now at 14 months she’s already matured a lot and is a really funny and peculiar sweetheart of a dog.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:11 PM

Fantastic seeing all these great, happy dogs.

This is Bode. We got him as a 1-year-old in Nov 2020 thru a local rescue and he came up from Vicksburg MS. Who knows what breeds are mixed in there, your guess is as good as mine. They told us "he needs some training" - and they were right. ;-) He's smart - too smart - and the training is coming along. We were looking for a 40 lb. dog and Bode came to us as a skinny 44 lb. dog. In a few months, he was a more healthy 54 lbs. He loves to run in the woods and squirrels are his passion.

I have volunteered at our local shelter for about 20 years and have been exposed to hundreds and hundreds of dogs. Bode is unlike any dog I have ever met. He is an absolute piece of work (in a good way) and loves his new home.

We just found out Bode has heartworm, not uncommon for dogs coming up from the south, and just started a program to make him better.

2021-05-25_04-45-09 by Dan Murphy, on Flickr
Old 05-25-2021, 08:35 PM

Ok
So, which one is the driver? That's quite a lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbk View Post

We like alcohol, firearms, two wheeled vehicles and Pit Bull mixes. Go America!