Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Orbea Terra , sky blue paint:
nice.

how did you pick this one, among the sea of new bikes in the segment?

i do like the color!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
nice.

how did you pick this one, among the sea of new bikes in the segment?

i do like the color!

I think it came down to value, roadish geometry, and a soft spot for the Basque folks. I didn't want to go "dream bike" wild until I see if I like this gravel/ mixed road thing. I made a pact with myself to try to reduce the 10,000 miles/year on Florida roads, as it seems to get more dangerous by the day. I raced on an Orbea Opal about 10 years ago, and it was a solid bike in it's time. The Terra seems to be a good all arounder, fits well, and fits 40mm tires easily. Pricewise, complete bike was $2800, with low end Fulcrum wheels that I swapped out for credit toward the Boyds with WI hubs. No charge for custom paint and 6 week delivery. The only bike at quality/price range was the Canyon, but it had those goofy handlebars.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think it came down to value, roadish geometry, and a soft spot for the Basque folks. I didn't want to go "dream bike" wild until I see if I like this gravel/ mixed road thing. I made a pact with myself to try to reduce the 10,000 miles/year on Florida roads, as it seems to get more dangerous by the day. I raced on an Orbea Opal about 10 years ago, and it was a solid bike in it's time. The Terra seems to be a good all arounder, fits well, and fits 40mm tires easily. Pricewise, complete bike was $2800, with low end Fulcrum wheels that I swapped out for credit toward the Boyds with WI hubs. No charge for custom paint and 6 week delivery. The only bike at quality/price range was the Canyon, but it had those goofy handlebars.
good thought process.

i think that getting a gravel bike as a "dream bike" is not something i would do either. first off, the tech is changing so quickly right now, who knows what will be hot in a few years. second, if you're really riding a gravel bike hard - they take abuse, and beating the crap out of a 2K dollar bike is a little less painful than beating the crap out of a 10k dollar bike.

is there decent access to off-pavement riding out your way? i know next to nothing about Florida.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
good thought process.

i think that getting a gravel bike as a "dream bike" is not something i would do either. first off, the tech is changing so quickly right now, who knows what will be hot in a few years. second, if you're really riding a gravel bike hard - they take abuse, and beating the crap out of a 2K dollar bike is a little less painful than beating the crap out of a 10k dollar bike.

is there decent access to off-pavement riding out your way? i know next to nothing about Florida.
Exactly, one of my most enjoyable bikes was an aluminium Fort cross bike that I raced the crap out of for 6 or 7 years. Every time I crashed into a barrier or fell in a mud puddle or pile of snow (lived in Michigan), never thought twice.

As for Florida, I live near Clearwater. I live about 200 yards from the county MUT, which I can hop on and take 10 miles to a decent off road area. If I drive alittle inland, Ocala and north has good riding (if you are familiar with Gravel Cyclist, a lot of his ride videos are shot in that area.). No routes like Joostix, but you can find things to do.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:43 PM
shimergo

Old 07-28-2018, 05:39 PM

This makes a A LOT of sense.

Quote:
good thought process.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Nice to hear your happy with it!

I'm really liking the color schemes on the recent Orbeas (last couple of years?). Their Orca road bikes look really sharp as well. Here's one of the standard Terra paint jobs that's had me drooling:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORBEA_2018_TERRA_yellow.jpg (124.2 KB, 585 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:32 AM
mentholated

Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Serotta x Yellow Birch
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-30-2018, 02:14 PM
ZhugeLiang

Ultimate adventure bike : charge plug 5 titanium

So much fun!!!

Old 07-30-2018, 02:38 PM

There are some killer bikes posted in this thread. I'm definitely interested in the gravel bike segment, but in my part of the country, you either ride on trails (rooty/rocky MTB trails) or on the road. there isn't an in between
Old 07-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad2TnR View Post
There are some killer bikes posted in this thread. I'm definitely interested in the gravel bike segment, but in my part of the country, you either ride on trails (rooty/rocky MTB trails) or on the road. there isn't an in between
what part of the country? and - what country ?

you might be surprised by what's out there, post up where you are and others may be able to help with some cool routes you didnt know about...
Old 07-31-2018, 01:51 PM

July 31, 2018 by SlowPoke Pete, on Flickr

July 31, 2018 by SlowPoke Pete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 PM

Lately I've been riding the cross country hardtail everywhere. The tires aren't chunky, the build is light and the frame is quite snappy. Riding this for a few hours on dirt lanes, abandoned woodland roads and other unpaved whathaveyou has been swell. Sitting more upright with a wide grip is a both a commanding and a relaxed way to take in the terrain. Of course it still takes on proper mtb trails, but the point is that it works nicely on the more mellow end of dirt that we consider in this thread. In a sense, I am back to where I started.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 07-31-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:22 PM

I've taken my Chameleon on some dirt, I hear you on the comfort. Some more hand positions would be nice..

27.5x3" tires are a bit much, however, and are slow going. I've thought about some 29er wheels