Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 09:43 AM

New Jersey Gas Stations

One of our local conspiracy theorists wrote a letter to the editor about being yelled at for attempting to fill his rental car at a New Jersey gas station. He commented “The attendants are unionized, Democratic employees hired for gas pump patronage jobs. It took 15 minutes to get my tank filled, and I didn’t get my windows cleaned.”

My Google research showed this law was pushed by retailers in 1949 in reactance to one station doing self-service. Governor Christie was quoted “I don’t see that changing.”
Article also said New Jersey has lower gas prices than surrounding states.

Any NJ residents care to comment?
Old 02-24-2020, 09:50 AM
tailgunning

i dunno why they'd expect to get their windows cleaned, but it's also never taken 15 mins to get my gas tank refilled. as a long time NJ resident, not having to get out of your car in winter is

maybe the dude just acted like an ass.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Administrator

my wife has literally no idea how to pump her own gas.

that's my comment.

lol.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:04 AM

I've filled my own once or twice, though more often finished pumping when in NJ visiting family. Usually after the pump stops, we wait what seems a long time (probably less than 5 minutes in most cases, oh the humanity ) for someone to top off (a big no no for environmentalists), hang up pump nozzle, grab receipt/card, and then we can put card/receipt away and head out. I never understood the why, I can't count how many stores around me have self checkout. To me it seems archaic and a waste of time and resources for something a majority of people can do... unless you've never been outside of NJ. I guess that is why you only pay tolls to get out of NJ, not to go in. They don't want people to know what happens in the outside world.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:09 AM
i like bikes!

I think it's great. Think about how many jobs that creates.
Also it's great when it's cold, which happens less and less in NJ winters, but still.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
.... as a long time NJ resident, not having to get out of your car in winter is
What is this winter thing you speak of?
Old 02-24-2020, 10:21 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I moved from NJ in 2002 to Nashvegas, then in 2011 to PDX.

I hated pumping my own gas for one reason while in TN. The smell is not easy to get outta your skin. It transfers to what you touch.

What I did like was TN prices, and that regular fuel was available with no booze in it for 15-18 cent more a gallon.

So NJ and OR are the only two states on the mainland you don't pump your own fuel IIRC. Not planned moves for this reason but fine with me.

Only premium fuel can be had here with no booze in it. The price is stupid high, regular is 30% higher than Nashville, miss that [and Robert's&Bluebird].
Old 02-24-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
One of our local conspiracy theorists wrote a letter to the editor about being yelled at for attempting to fill his rental car at a New Jersey gas station. He commented “The attendants are unionized, Democratic employees hired for gas pump patronage jobs. It took 15 minutes to get my tank filled, and I didn’t get my windows cleaned.”

My Google research showed this law was pushed by retailers in 1949 in reactance to one station doing self-service. Governor Christie was quoted “I don’t see that changing.”
Article also said New Jersey has lower gas prices than surrounding states.

Any NJ residents care to comment?
gas prices are more affected by state taxes on gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
i dunno why they'd expect to get their windows cleaned, but it's also never taken 15 mins to get my gas tank refilled. as a long time NJ resident, not having to get out of your car in winter is

maybe the dude just acted like an ass.
i'd take the inconvenience of pumping my own gas than sitting in a cold car at a gas station for 45 minutes, waiting for AAA, b/c almost all stations were closed on Christmas...
Old 02-24-2020, 11:07 AM

I read Missouri is considering going back to service station attendants doing the pumping. Basically considering it hazardous material handling. Which it is, but then so it all the crap you can get at the hardware store, e.g., acetone, toluene, WD-40, drain cleaner, etc. Given the lack of incidents from lack of training, ignoring no smoking signs, auto shut-off maintenance, lack of grounding - it has been shown to be low risk. Of course it is like driving 100 mph, if something happens it's usually pretty spectacular.

I'll pump my own, thanks.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
So NJ and OR are the only two states on the mainland you don't pump your own fuel IIRC. Not planned moves for this reason but fine with me.
In 2018, Oregon amended their law to allow customers to pump their own gas in about half of the counties in the state. Illinois is currently considering a bill to ban on self-service gas, but the bill is not expected to pass.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:13 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
gas prices are more affected by state taxes on gasoline
I understood in TN the termination point of the pipeline up from the gulf is a short semi tanker trip to the Nashville area cities.
Helps prices apparently as well.

Quote:
i'd take the inconvenience of pumping my own gas than sitting in a cold car at a gas station for 45 minutes, waiting for AAA, b/c almost all stations were closed on Christmas...
Law was passed in OR [2018?] to allow self pumping with CC/DB payment at closed stations, I forget when.

Not had to look for a station that does it yet personally outta need... yet... But certainly not an 'all of them are doing it' situation.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:18 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
“The attendants are unionized, Democratic employees hired for gas pump patronage jobs. It took 15 minutes to get my tank filled, and I didn’t get my windows cleaned.”
If it's a conspiracy, it's a bi-partisan one.

G*d knows they gripe about everything else, but this is one thing that I don't really hear NJ residents complain about.

(I keed, and am known to stand up for NJ wherever I go, because I'm contrarian that way.)
Old 02-24-2020, 11:25 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

The most recognition to addressing the political angle from me will me that I noticed it and am giving that short order addressing. As in that's it, done before I began there...

Doubtful I'd have participated if not for 2 of my my 3 state residence swaps being NJ and OR.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:35 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

As a Jersey kid, I like that they pump my gas when I'm in the home state.
And I wish we still had humans in toll booths on the turnpike.
And I think self-checkout lines are dumb.
I'd rather check out other people at the supermarket.

None of it matters in the big picture.

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown etc etc etc.

ps

arrange disorder

Old 02-24-2020, 11:41 AM

Don't even get me started on self-checkout lines.