Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 AM

* where do you live: Chicago, IL

* explanation of your handle: wanted something that was completely unrecognizable from my real name...and I had just watched "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"

* favorite bike (of all time): Surly Karate Monkey set up single speed...most fun I've ever had on xc trails was on this bike (when I lived close to accessible xc trails)

* what's in your stable: 2012 Giant TCR Advanced and 2012 Ritte Crossberg

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I think 43 mph on a long descent in western IL (near the Mississippi river) in September 2013.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,500 miles on a road bike, 2,250 on a cx bike

* picture of yourself or your ride? (see below)

* what's the "plan" for 2014? with my first kid on the way (due in May), I need to learn how to alter my schedule so I can see my kid, work and ride ~150 miles/week. I'm assuming this will either be impossible or I will only sleep 3 hours/night. Let me know if you have any helpful advice...

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? I'm always asked "how did it go?" after any bike race, and my answer is usually "fine" or "i could have gone longer". The truth is I usually feel like I'm going into cardiac arrest and am thrilled that x race is over. Maybe it's not the biggest lie I've ever told, but that's all I can think of...

* and, something fun: I think that if I see any more snow or sub-zero temperatures this winter, I'm going to sell all my bikes and get carbon fiber snow shoes

Old 02-09-2014, 10:19 AM

* where do you live? Portland, OR
* explanation of your handle: Start with the D...
* explanation of your avatar: crap, I need an avatar
* age (general or specific): early 40s
* favorite bike: Bike Friday Family Tandem, followed by Calfee Tetra Pro
* what's in your stable? BF Tandem, Calfee, Bontrager Race Lite, Weyless SP, Scattante XRL Cross (commuter), old lugged townie, Surly Big Dummy, plus bikes for the rest of the family
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Low 50s coming down Hwy 1 near Davenport with a strong tailwind, sometime in the early 90s
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? About 2k
* picture of yourself or your ride? attached...
* and, something fun: I love bike touring. My wife cajoled me into doing our first tour and we've ended up touring in the Netherlands, Italy, California coast, and a few other shorter ones. When my kids are old enough I'd like to do a dual-tandem tour from Nordkapp to Gibraltar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3074.jpg (122.9 KB, 490 views)
Old 02-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Dan, living in the Philly burbs. Late 40s, Bikes at the moment, old Derosa Neo Pro fixed gear, winter beater bike. Main ride Torelli aluminum built up with first generation Campy Chorus 11, Torelli wheelset although for much of the late spring,summer, early fall I'm on a older pair of Zipp 202, tubular of course. Ex racer, have ridden in Italy several times as well riding in the Alps, something I have wanted to do ever since I stared riding 20+ years ago.

Hope to get new frame this year, keeping my fingers crossed for a stainless steel bike. Nothing like the feel of steel.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 PM

* real name - Dean

* where do you live? Hudson Valley, New York

* explanation of your handle - Started with eBay avatar when we were selling stuff before moving to Europe in 2001--we had to "pare down"

* explanation of your avatar - under construction

* age (general or specific) - over 60--OMG

* occupation - construction manager

* favorite bike - Tecnos (sold because it was a tad large); current fave is a Mike Howard filet brazed Simonetti.

* what's in your stable? The aforesaid Simo, an EL-OS Concorde, a Mercian Audax and a beater Masi 3V

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? unrecorded--but we hit some pretty fast descents when racing, even though it was a long time ago in BC.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? probably less than 2500--house renovations kill mileage

* picture of yourself or your ride? Picture below on the Mercian, on the road outside Budapest (same pic is on the Mercian page)

* make up and answer at least one additional question. Most embarrassing cycling related moment?--first day with cleated shoes--and I fell over in front of a good friend and his girl while still clipped in

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told. Got in a rock fight when I was a kid, got hit in the face, and a tooth was broken. Concocted a story that I crashed on my bike so I wouldn't catch it from the parents when my brothers and I got home.

* and, something fun. One of the people on tour with me in Eastern Europe said conspiratorially to me--"I love to ride my bike--it makes me feel like a kid again." I absolutely agree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg audax.jpg (85.3 KB, 444 views)

Last edited by paredown; 02-14-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM

* real name - Gregg

* where do you live? AUS, TX

* explanation of your handle - own a Serotta-made Ti Paramount (it's supposedly the test frame that Serotta provided to Schwinn for evaluation prior to production runs...altho I can't prove it with any kind of documentation, it's a good story and I'm sticking with it)

* explanation of your avatar - what avatar?

* age (general or specific) - 61

* occupation - biologist

* favorite bike - the Paramount

* what else is in your stable? 1993 Spec Allez Epic with full DA 8...oldie but a goodie. most reliable bike I've ever owned.

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? 54 mph...bombing down Trans-Mountain Road in El Paso, TX

* how many miles on a road bike last year? 5100

* and, something fun. I belong to a team of divers that currently holds the record for deepest cave dive performed in the US - 515 feet (planning to extend that to 600' in the next year or so)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Me

* real name - Isidore
* where do you live? - NYC
* explanation of your handle - Shortened version.
* explanation of your avatar - none
* age (general or specific) - 21
* occupation - Student at Syms school of Business
* favorite bike - Cannondale CAAD 9
* what's in your stable? - Cannondale CAAD 9, CAAD 10, CX9 Tim Johnson edition, Fuji Track Pro, Cutter Bones, GT Titanium Edge- Made in the USA goodness
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? - 50ish last year in the Poconos
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - 3,000ish
* picture of yourself or your ride? Chimpsintraining.com
Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 PM

* real name, George
* where do you live? Sequim, WA, driest place on the West Coast North of LA, flat unless you go up into the Olympic Mountains.
* explanation of your handle: My name, also my handle on the watch boards.
* explanation of your avatar My Standard Poodle after shaving her body
* age 58
* occupation; retired electrical engineer now I dabble as a watch dealer
* favorite bike - Smitten with my Ottrott
* what's in your stable? Roubaix Elite, Serotta Ottrott and old school hard tail Trek 6000 MTB
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 50mph- coming down mountain between Monterey and Salinas in the mid 70's on my Windsor Professional.. some guy yelled out his window 50. It was memorable in I hit a stone and badly bent my rim... could of been ugly.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Couple hundred in the last two months. Nice here in Sequim.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told,- I plead the 5th.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Where do you live: Cambridge Ontario
explanation of your handle: Typo
favourite bike: 1991 Moosegoose
what's in your stable? Moots RSL
fastest speed on a road bike? I couldn't see there were to many tears.
how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 3500 km
what is the biggest lie you've ever told: "This is the last bike I buy"
Old 03-30-2014, 11:50 AM

real name - Travis

* where do you live? Alexandria, VA

* explanation of your handle - i'm an architect and a florida gator...

* explanation of your avatar - Don't have one yet. Got to figure out how to do that.
* age (general or specific) - 35

* occupation - architect

* favorite bike - Spooky Skeletor... anything by vanilla/speedvagen. any and all colnago masters and Landsharks/John Slawta

* what's in your stable? Spooky Skeletor, Allcity Spacehorse, Xtracycle Edgerunner (our family SUV). old specialized rockhopper...

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 53mph on a downhill in Catoctin mountains outside Frederick MD.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? somewhere around 2000.

* picture of yourself or your ride? meh.. ok i'll try.

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told. - hmmm uh.?? that i don't ever lie?

* and, something fun. - looking forward to introducing my son to bikes. whenever he sees a bike he immediately points and screams "DADADADA". pretty cool. also I really want to build my own frame someday.. love working with my hands. maybe down at Brew bikes?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 PM

* real name - James

* where do you live? Adelaide, Australia

* explanation of your handle - My name is james, and I'm from Australia.

* explanation of your avatar - It's me riding a bike the other day.

* age (general or specific) - 28

* occupation - Digital Marketing & Web Development

* favorite bike - I'll answer that once my Moots arrives.

* what's in your stable? '11 Madone 5.2, '13 Marin Cortina CX, '13 Marin Palisades Trail 29'er, handful of BMX's

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 85kmph, which in the American language is about 53 miles p/h. Down a hill here in Adelaide that is about 2km long and average grade 13-14%.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? A hair under 12,000km and 210,000m vertical. So something near 7,500 miles. Dunno what 210,000m is in feet.

* picture of yourself or your ride? My avatar photo - cutting some hotlaps on the crit track.

* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why did you join The Paceline? Because I'm one of those jerks who came along and used this forum to pick up a second hand frameset... and hope to repay the favour by become a contributing member of the community. Seriously though, been doing some lurking over the last week, this place seems like a great community. Good work guys.

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told. - A Greek-Aussie man tells no lies.

* and, something fun.

Last edited by jimoots; 03-30-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:02 PM

* real name - Andrew

* where do you live? Los Angeles

* explanation of your handle - an uncreative name based on initials

* (general or specific) - 31

* occupation - IT

* favorite bike - my Parlee Z5i

* what's in your stable? '14 Parlee Z5i, '12 Cannondale CAAD10

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? only ~45mph on a local ride near work

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? just started riding August of last year, so only ~1,200mi

* picture of yourself or your ride?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Who are you (and what do you look like)?

Hey there,

No matter whether you are a new member, or an old member who has been around a while, a forum tradition has been to introduce yourself and let us get to know each other a little bit. Many of us have met at different gatherings around the country (and the world), but for those of us that haven’t been acquainted here’s your chance.

Who are you (and what do you look like)?

*Real Name (first or full - up to you)
*Where do you live?
*Explanation of your forum handle.
*Explanation of your avatar.
*Age (General or specific).
*Occupation.
*How did you find the Paceline?
*Favorite Bike.
*What’s in your stable?
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When?
*How many miles did you ride last year?
*Picture of yourself, your ride, or both together.
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question.
*What is the biggest lie you ever told?
*Tell us something fun.

Explanation:
The mod squad decided that instead of having two threads asking “Who are you”, and “Who are you and what do you look like?”, we would start a single thread asking for both. Combining the threads would have created a confusing jumble. We really appreciate Len J. and Elefantino starting those two great threads as well as everyone’s participation. If you would like to browse those fine threads, see the links below.

Who are you?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5679

Who are you and what do you look like?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35357

I’ll go first!

William

Last edited by William; 04-02-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Administrator

* Real name, if you like:> William
* Where do you live?> Rhode Island

* Explanation of your handle:> It be my name.

* Explanation of your avatar:> Changes every so often. Will likely always be a design of, or inspired by North West Coast Indian art ('Ksan, Haida, Tsimshian, Tlingit, West Coast (Nootka), Coast Salish, and Kwagiutl). The current avatar is the Raven. It's a little more abstract than most but if you understand the design elements you can figure it out.

* Age (general or specific):> Upper 40�s and still as strong as when I was 25 (most of the time ).

* How did you find the Paceline? > Found it in its former iteration searching the web for information about Serotta�s.

* Favorite bike:> The Zanc

* What's in your stable? :> THe Effin Cross Bike By Mike Zanconato,The Recycler Fixie, The Super Stealthy Serotta Skunkworks SS-71 Blackbird, Bianchi Reparto Corse SL Lite, Raleigh Super Course 12 Fixie/single speed> Paramount P-15, DeRosa Super Prestiege, Schwinn Circut, Spectrum Ti, Richard Sachs, Merckx MXL,*and a Specialized Stumpjumper. FS, Cannondale Tandem. Serotta Legend Ti, Serotta CSI, Serotta Competition Co-Motion Tandem, Independent Fabrications Independence, and a Specialized Stumpjumper. IF Steel Crown Jewel, Trek 1400, Ottrott ST, Lemond Maillot Jaune, and a Bianchi Milano cruiser and a Specialized Stumpjumper. Lemond Zurich, Serotta Legend, Specialized FSR, 1919 peerless speed record bike, holdsworth fixed gear, serotta csi fillet brazed match sprint bike, pegoretti mountain bike, old cyfac/mbk team bike, and a Specialized Stumpjumper. Spx merckx kermesse bike, some sc61.10 merckx kermesse, big orange mx leader, and the c50, Concours Ti, Atlanta, early '70s Club Special; Ibis Spanky; and a Specialized Stumpjumper. Riv Atlantis; Jamis Nova commuter/beater, Serotta CSi, Serotta track, Mercier 300, Cinelli Speciale Corsa, Cinelli pista, and a Specialized Stumpjumper. Ridley Crosswind, Rickert, Romulus, a new steel Serotta Fierte in the process of being built up, Rivendell Saluki on order!, '91 Davidson Impulse; and a '91 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; 'and a Specialized Stumpjumper. 86 Trek 700, Legend ST, Colorado TG, Santana tandem, Schwinn Scrambler, various tricycles, A big wheel, a 10 foot tall unicycle, and a Specialized Stumpjumper. A Hot wheels, Match Box, and Sizzlers car sets with a Specialized Stumpjumper thrown in for good measure.

* Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? > High 60�s once and into the 60�s a number of times on various decents in O.R. Nothing close since I moved to RI.

* How many miles ON THE ROAD:> I really didn't keep track this year, heck, I didn't even shave my legs for the first time since about 94. Guessing at about 4-5,000.

* Picture of yourself or your ride?:> On the Effin Zanc cruising some fun New England back roads.

* Make up and answer at least one additional question:> When you were studying and training in Occupational Therapy, did you ever think that a few years later you would be doing what your doing today? Not on your life, but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

* What is the biggest lie you've ever told:> Ummm, maybe something having to do with how many bikes I said were in my stable? Just maybe.

* And, something fun.:> Meeting my wife in college....just walking past each other on the quad and BANG!!! Going on 22 years now (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE). Being with my family, running around & playing in the yard with my children, playing with our dog, reading, riding, and Full contact stick fighting (wearing just a fencing mask, street hockey gloves, and a cup...talk about an adreneline dump--Yee hee hee haw haw haw!!!). What can I say, I'm a man of extremes.

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Who are U.jpg (128.6 KB, 2462 views)
File Type: jpg Espada.jpg (135.0 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by William; 06-03-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Riding Along

Great idea William.

*Real Name...Daryl LeBlanc

*Where do you live?...Rockwood Ontario

*Explanation of your forum handle...My last few and current dog is black, also the name of my business.

*Explanation of your avatar...Coppi drinking a beer after a hard day on the bike, sums up the experience of riding.

*Age...42

*Occupation...I am a bit of a hybrid, I split my time between teaching biology (trained biologist) and running a custom carpentry business (3rd generation liscened Carpenter). Love both and would miss the other too much if I only did one.

*How did you find the Paceline?...bobswire introduced me to this wonderful place when we were both on the old velonews forum.

*Favorite Bike...that is like asking me which of my kids is my favourite (it is a coin flip between the Litespeed and the Serotta!

*What’s in your stable?...2009 Ti litespeed icon, 1996 fillet brazed zero uno Cramerotti, 1991 Serotta Colorado II, and 1986 Miele Columbus SL made by Colnago.

*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? About 100km/h going down the col de Sarene on the back side of L'alpe d'huez last summer. Scary road and at that speed my pucker strings were quite tight and my eyes were quite wide !!!

*How many miles did you ride last year?...About 10,000km

*Picture of yourself, your ride, or both together...

*Make up an answer to at least one additional question...if I could retire tomorrow I would still teach some field courses in ecology, still build for friends, but I would ride more and spend as much time in my canoe and outdoors as I could. There are more things that interest me than I can ever get to in a life time.

*What is the biggest lie you ever told?...I will have re-read the canadian charter of rights and freedoms for the equivalent of the fifth amendment before I answer this one. Told a few whoppers in my time but always managed to make things right.

*Tell us something fun...I meet my wife while going to a friends place to poop when my house had no running water for a few days. Completely awkward but 15 years and 2 kids later she still has not come to her senses!

Last edited by Black Dog; 12-29-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM

I'll play...

Where do I live: Spokane Valley, WA (eastern WA, the dry side)

Explanation of forum handle: Don't know...sounded good.

Explanation of avatar: I come in peace but don't easily suffer fools.

Age: Just celebrated the 31'st anniversary of my 30th birthday.

Occupation: I sell single use medical devices including closed system hazardous drug transfer devices (for chemotherapy). That's a mouthful.

How did I find the Paceline: Dave Thompson alerted me to it when I was selling my Eisentraut and had listed on CL locally. I haven't been the same since.

Favorite bike: 2001 Serotta Legend Ti. I bought the ffh from a forumite and built it with Campy Chorus 11s. Heavenly.

What's in the stable: I now only have a 1989 Bridgestone 550 with first generation Shimano 105 indexed shifting, Avocet wheels, a bunch of Suntour stuff. Really a good and fun bike.

Fastest speed on my bike: Far too fast for an old guy: 95.77 kph (59.5 mph) on the last downhill stretch of a local century on brand new and very smooth tarmac and a bit of a tailwind. I have pictures.

How many miles last year: 4,020, including a 150 miler and a personal century best of 5 hours 18 minutes.

Here I am 2014 vs 1978 (hair before helmets, on my bitchin' Takara Tour 12) :

Make up an answer to one question: Sometimes.

Biggest lie: "Honey, this bike is a great deal for $ (pick your seriously understated amount)."

Something fun: My wife just started riding with me and SHE LIKES IT! Woo hoo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave 2013.jpg (77.7 KB, 2405 views)
File Type: jpg 420555_3283704893754_418349095_n.jpg (78.3 KB, 2411 views)

Last edited by SpokeValley; 04-03-2014 at 06:22 PM.