Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
More driver stories:

Yesterday while on my ride with a buddy we had a mini-run-in with a driver. It was getting late, but still at least one hour before sunset. However, there were very dark clouds out the west, so visibility was adequate but not great. As we slowed approached approaching intersection, where we were going to turn left, a woman in a car going in the direction from which we had just come slowed down and said "Lights would help" and drove off.

What was most annoying was the self-righteous tone of her voice. MO law only requires light 30 min after sunset, so we were OK there. I admit that things were a bit dark due to the clouds - but, there was still plenty of light. She was just being a witch (but spelled with a "b") and you could tell based on her tone of voice. It wasn't a cheerful "guys, it would be easier to see you if you had lights," it was a very condescending "I know better than you" type of thing.

It wasn't a big deal, but it was annoying.

I bet she was a cyclist. I have felt like at yelling at riders who are in traffic with ZERO lights or reflecters at dusk or after sunset...meaning too dark with poor visability.

I understand you being annoyed, but you seem to admit she was not incorrect. It also seems she did know more or better than you at that time...lights would help.

Sometimes we need to just take our lumps and move on.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner
Last Sunday morning I was riding through the Cleveland Metroparks Emerald Neckless when ahead and on the left I saw a female cyclist (+/- 45 years old) coming downhill on a side road to enter the Valley Parkway that I was travelling. I watched her carefully as she ran a stop sign and noticed that she did not look at me. As she began to cross the road about 40 to 50 feet ahead of me (I was going about 18 mph and she was running maybe 5 - 8 mph), I in a raised voice, but not yelling, began to say "yo, yo, yo, yo" in order to get her attention. This caused her to scream at me, "I saw you."

In reply, I said to her, "Have a cheery day." She responded, "You f@@king a@@hole." I just continued to ride, although I was aggrevated.

Go figure.

Unfortunatly, that sounds about right.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Thread Hijack....How about more encounters with other cyclists?....I'll start.

Rural roads around here. Nice rolling country, a fair amount of car traffic. Lots of cyclists on the weekends. Last week I finish a climb that ends at a stop sign at a T intersection. As I stop at the sign to wait for traffic to clear so that I can turn left, 4 cyclists make a right onto the road that I am on from the direction I am waiting to travel. They turn right, spread out and stop in the middle of the T intersection, effectively preventing anyone else from turning right onto this road. These are old sunken farm roads with poor visibility because of the foliage. As I am warning them not to do this, a car attempts to turn right into the road that they are obstructing, but can't. Another car coming from behind has to slam on its brakes to avoid hitting the car that is now stopped mid-turn by the cyclists........... .

I just kept thinking that I would be angry if I were one of the drivers of the cars obstructed by these "cyclists". Beautiful day, open country roads and you have to increase the hazard factor by randomly stopping to chat, or whatever?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Keep riding ------- if he comes for you then you have reason to retaliate. Flapping the yap is a total waste of energy and effort. Lp
Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog
+1.

I do the same thing now. They feel like asses when you are calm and collected. It makes their tirade seem way out of proportion. I find if I introduce myself and talk about my family and job it makes me human and really deflates them. They need to dehumanize you in order to have that much anger towards another person.
++1
I'll try that....its a nice approach and probably has a lasting (positive) impression....but it will be a challenge.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog
They need to dehumanize you in order to have that much anger towards another person.
Ha! An optimist.

Many folks out there are equal-opportunity haters.