Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph
...The problem is, I really don't know the exact reason he was pissed...Murph
THIS is the reason I smile, wave and say "have a good day". Or say nothing.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Deeply fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim
Do you have the flag sweat pants?

William has a pretty cool story too...
i split those bad boys after delivering a roundhouse kick to my cousin's face. thanks for reminding me to order another pair ...
Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Its Tough

The problem is that in most of these situations, our adrenaline starts to pump and it is exceedingly difficult to keep a cool head. I am better now that I am older (less testosterone maybe?), but in the past I have engaged in cuss fests. On one occasion I wacked a quarterpanel with my fist as I went by a car that was impinging on the bike lane.

I know a motorcyclist that was splitting lanes on the freeway during a traffic jam, and a car saw him coming and took exception and moved over to block his path. He raised his boot up and kicked the driver's side mirror off the car. Unfortunately the driver turned out to be an FBI agent in an unmarked car (why he was being an a-hole, I don't know) and so my friend had some 'splainin to do.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=RPS]IMO that's a bad assumption on your part. For my own safety I always approach motorist as if they are armed. And in Texas a very large number are. Just because he is in his 60s and not fit doesn't mean he can't shoot you dead.

It's not worth arguing with a driver. If not armed with a gun, they are all armed with a 4,000 pound missle.....

A guy in my club gave the finger to an a-hole driver and the driver hung a U-turn and ran him over. Luckily not killed, but several broken bones --not good.

I'm not perfect at letting it all go, but it is the best practice.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Glory bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbiker
Or maybe it will make him feel like a man.
All these incidents we're talking about: always guy-on-guy, right?
We were discussing some similar situations after the ride on Sunday, and someone (a guy) reported how a woman driver threatened to "knock his block off." Everyone thought that was hilarious, and nobody imagined that escalating like some of the stories in this thread.
Now I realize that there are fewer gals riding, but I wonder what their experiences are. Or does it always require two sources of testosterone (patches optional) for combustion to occur?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:39 PM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer
All these incidents we're talking about: always guy-on-guy, right?
We were discussing some similar situations after the ride on Sunday, and someone (a guy) reported how a woman driver threatened to "knock his block off." Everyone thought that was hilarious, and nobody imagined that escalating like some of the stories in this thread.
Now I realize that there are fewer gals riding, but I wonder what their experiences are. Or does it always require two sources of testosterone (patches optional) for combustion to occur?

I have actually noticed women being more lippy to me than men. I think women feel they have a safety bubble where they can say things with no reprocussions. On the other hand, men know that something could escalate and are less vocal...there are possible reprocussions.

Luckily I have just had one incident on the bike and it involved a bolt being thrown at my head. Otherwise, I have had no issue. I am either lucky or I pay very little attention.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekindy
I was not sure how you would take my reply. Thanks for considering it.
Actually, it was exactly what I was looking for - something I hadn't thought of.

I posted this discussion because:
- I wanted to see what others would have done
- I wanted to see if others could offer other insight like you did

I didn't post it because I was looking for support or backup.

One of my main goals is that I don't want people to hate cyclists, and my initial reaction with this guy didn't help that cause. That bothered me. I try to be a good cyclist out there and try to be a good ambassador for the sport. I encourage people when I see them on the road or when I'm talking with them. Hopefully, it will help in the long run.

Thanks for your input everybody.

BTW, I had a fantastic nooner 30+ miler today. The weather is awesome right now and I felt great.

Murph
Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
One of my main goals is that I don't want people to hate cyclists,
Since you brougth this up. Other cyclist do give bad names to other cyclist. I am not saying you're one of them, but I do know few of them. Guess what, I no longer ride with them. As you can, even a cyclist as myself hate those cyclist that give us bad rep. SORRY!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:23 PM

some of you guys are far more evolved than I. your self-control under duress is admirable.

I'm trying to scale down my hostile reactions to rude and/or life-threatening motorists, but not sure it's paying dividends.

recently, some douche passed me from behind while laying on his horn (not sure exactly what crime I committed to warrant this, sometimes just riding a bike is sufficient cause).

my normal reaction would be a widely-recognized hand gesture, but I refrained and instead gave the driver an exaggerated parade wave and then blew him a kiss as he went by.

my actions caused the dude to almost wad his mini-van up...I've never seen anyone so agitated. he was screaming at me and pounding the dashboard.

maybe I should go back to just flipping the bird, seems less antagonistic.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbiker
Since you brougth this up. Other cyclist do give bad names to other cyclist. I am not saying you're one of them, but I do know few of them. Guess what, I no longer ride with them. As you can, even a cyclist as myself hate those cyclist that give us bad rep. SORRY!!!

Agreed.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Actually, it was exactly what I was looking for - something I hadn't thought of.

I posted this discussion because:
- I wanted to see what others would have done
- I wanted to see if others could offer other insight like you did

I didn't post it because I was looking for support or backup.

One of my main goals is that I don't want people to hate cyclists, and my initial reaction with this guy didn't help that cause. That bothered me. I try to be a good cyclist out there and try to be a good ambassador for the sport. I encourage people when I see them on the road or when I'm talking with them. Hopefully, it will help in the long run.

Thanks for your input everybody.

BTW, I had a fantastic nooner 30+ miler today. The weather is awesome right now and I felt great.

Murph

I have been there and it is always tough as a guy to do the right thing
when we are in the heat of battle. I have to remember that these battles
with drivers are very petty in the grand scheme. I have spend time talking
about this with more evolved persons than myself
and have been convinced by others to take the following philosophy:

Risking further injury with a person (man or woman) packing a pistol is
really a selfish act. I have wife and 2 kids. So fighting a person, verbally who
is a rageholic and behind the wheel of a car poses many unforseeable risks. We are very vulnerable on the road.

Unfortunately the only suggestion I have is developing a thick skin
to ass*****. We are powerless. Here in Charlotte there is a system
by which we can report abusive drivers. The other altenative is to
have a video hard drive and record every ride like the police do.

Regards,

Andrew

John Lennon

Last edited by drewski; 06-22-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Ride to eat.

Maybe the guy was scared and didn't see you. He might have assumed you passed behind him and gotten more scared that the didn't notice you.

I usually use the Smile and wave, with 5 fingers technique. But on Sundays if it looks like the angry person is a chuch goer and is completely bonkers I usually just yell as loud a I can "Hay!!" then in a normal voice say "Jesus loves me to you know." The response is usually silence.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:16 PM

I didn't read the entire thread but try not to sweat it, some people are a$$holes and this guy sounds like he may be president elect of that club. Some people like to rant and rave at people, some like to threaten to k1ck your a$$, these people should be ignored. I plan on constructing a large iron ball, placing all of these angry people in it and firing it in to the sun.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Dude, you are the Clint Eastwood of cyclists. I would be pleased to ride with you someday.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clunk
Dude, you are the Clint Eastwood of cyclists. I would be pleased to ride with you someday.
"Get off my road."