Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Older Than You

What I do is wave and smile. They are mad and want to get you mad. This really pisses them off....

My motto: Don't argue with a 2 ton car....you'll lose.
This is especially true here in the Dallas area.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 AM

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekindy
You were totally in the wrong in my opinion. If you were a car and came around the curve and there was a car in the middle of the road you would have stopped until he was finished backing into the driveway. At least I would have maybe you don't.

He was probably scared because if he had not seen you he might have ran over you while he was concentrating on getting backed into the driveway. You had no way of predicting what maneuver he might have to make.
Thanks, I see your point, and that's a definite possibility. From my vantage point, I assumed that he was backing into the driveway and I very well could have been wrong. There definitely was a chance that he still wanted to go forward.

The problem is, I really don't know the exact reason he was pissed. If it was merely because I surprised him (and this happens a lot), well, too bad. If it was because he had planned on going forward and into our paths, then he had a legitimate right to be pissed.

Thanks again for a different angle on things.

Murph
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM

I was not sure how you would take my reply. Thanks for considering it.

I just know how much more difficult it is to see motorcycles than cars. I have been startled and downright terrified that I could have killed someone when I look and and it appears to be clear and then all of a sudden see a motorcycle that I missed and almost pulled out in front of. Bicycles are even more difficult to see than motorcycles in my opinion. Bicycles are smaller and silent and tend to be on the side of the road where they are less likely to be seen. This is from someone that used to own motorcycles for several years and now rides his bicycle 4,000 miles on the road and is keenly aware to beware because they are everywhere.

I bet he was horrified when he thought he might have not seen you and ran over you and hurt you badly. Why else would he be pissed? It did not appear that you interfered with him unless like I said he started to pull forward and might have hit you.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM

We all lose perspective sometimes. It happens. Only thing to do is learn from it for the next time you have a run-in with a motorist. Because it will happen.

I think we've all reacted poorly in those situations once or twice.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Deeply fried

i didn't kill his sensei...but he wanted it on anyway

i once got cut off by a mtn biker exiting a trail onto the road. I gave a "***"...he then challenged me to a karate fight in the road (i'm assuming, as he stated he had a black belt in karate and was going to kick my a$$). I was all "you can't be serious, are you like 12?" and rode off. If he was fast there might have been a karate fight in shimano spd-sl cleats that I probably would've lost as I only stayed for the yellow belt in rex kwan do.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
aka Terry Keele

i had a similar situation happen last week. I stood quietly, listed to the rant and after the guy was done screaming I simply said;

"Look, I know you feel like a complete douche-bag for screaming at the top of your lungs in the middle of the street, but don't be so hard on your self."

I then rode off. I felt fine about it and continued my commute to work.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRocketSci
I probably would've lost as I only stayed for the yellow belt in rex kwan do.
Do you have the flag sweat pants?

William has a pretty cool story too...
Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylifut
i had a similar situation happen last week. I stood quietly, listed to the rant and after the guy was done screaming I simply said;

"Look, I know you feel like a complete douche-bag for screaming at the top of your lungs in the middle of the street, but don't be so hard on your self."

I then rode off. I felt fine about it and continued my commute to work.

With a chair and a bag of Kettlecorn I'd have fun watching that.

William
Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM

I'm with the "smile and wave" philosophy. What's the point of engaging a belligerent asshole ?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM
aka Terry Keele

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
With a chair and a bag of Kettlecorn I'd have fun watching that.

William
if you were sitting there with a bag of kettlecorn, my mouth would be otherwise occupied.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Forward the Foundation

Real life is just like the crazy people you hear on radio call-in shows
or ranters on the internet. A large percentage of America is either off their meds or is taking way too many. They're not mad at you, they are just crazy,
you just happen to be standing in front of them.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [to Igor] Now that brain that you gave me. Was it Hans Delbruck's?
Igor: [pause, then] No.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?
Igor: Then you won't be angry?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.
Igor: Abby someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby... Normal.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?
Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [chuckles, then] Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?
[grabs Igor and starts throttling him]
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Is that what you're telling me?

Mel Brooks understands real life.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:38 PM
I like pie!

I have had more than one occassion when motorists get worked up over their own inability to notice my presence on the road with them. I wouldnt beat myself up over your encounter today. Personally I was enlightened when I read that you had went back after being called a queer. Self defense sometimes means you arent always going to be the grown up in every situation. Take self satisfaction in giving him a dose of his own medicine. Ride safe!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Not that I can always keep my initial reaction to engage in a full on raging cuss fest in check, but I have found that it is surprisingly disarming to simply take a mental step back and a deep breath. Then either ignore and ride away, or as I have taken to doing ask "Are you ok? You seem to be really upset. Is there anything I can do? It seems like you're having a bad day or something." I don't see any real upside to making him feel bad for losing his cool. Often I get an immediate apology because in fact, they were just having a bad day. And when I get that aplogy, we both feel pretty damn good.

And that works for me.

Saul aka CaptStash....
Old 06-21-2011, 01:58 PM

to the OP: You also had the advantage of knowing where this guy lives. You could have made him aware of that, or kept that knowledge in your back pocket if things escalated further.

I once had a guy almost hit me in his car after after he cruised through a stop sign at a 4-way. I yelled at him to stop and he let loose with several unkind and unwarranted expletives. Unfortunately for him he was on his way home and I searched the neighborhoods by bike until I found him in his drive way exiting his car. You should have seen his shocked expression when I cruised past on my bike to let him know that I now knew where he lived. I never returned, but I bet he was looking under and around his car for the next few weeks.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Everytime I have encountered things like this, I have always say

"I am sorry for whatever I have done to upset you"

Then I just go back to my riding. Seriously, it is not worth of my time and it's not worth aggrevating myself over it. After all, there is no harm done to me or to him that I should agrue and waste my riding time about it. Also, this way, maybe he'll think it oever on what I did to upset him and perhaps realized that it is not worth his energy as well. Or maybe it will make him feel like a man.