Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
doomsday device

possible to rebuild campy QS ergopower controls into ultrashift?

I have a pair of Veloce QS shifters (1 down, 3 up) that I would like to convert into the normal 'ultrashift' style. Is this possible with a rebuild kit, or is it more trouble then its worth? I actually have another set of carbon ultra shift levers, but this is going to be on a commuter bike and I'd rather use alloy ones - just not the QS crap.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM

The short answer is no. There is no similarity between the new ultrashift mechanism and the old escape mechanism. It's the escape mechanism that makes it impossible to shift more than 1 cog smaller at a time, not QS. QS is merely a reduction in the dead travel from the left finger lever.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
doomsday device

I know that the mechanisms are totally different, so I guess a better question is - can one completely swap out the "guts" since the bodies are the same? Can you even buy the internals?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 PM

The bodies are NOT the same. Campy no longer sells many of the individual small parts for repairs. They prefer to sell major assemblies, which include everything except the brake lever, band clamp and brake hood.

Go to www.campagnolo.com and check out the spare parts PDF files.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:55 AM

Grab a set of Veloce US's used (sell the QS's, always fetch at least a C-note, unless trashed). I've seen a few on the block on this forum (and CL) for $100-ish. Probably not much more cash, and much less hassle than a refurb.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Ain't this Escape??? QS is something else.

+1 with the last poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel
I have a pair of Veloce QS shifters (1 down, 3 up) .
Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Ask Old Potato

He would be your best source of information.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:20 PM

I got nothing against "Escape". I never need to dump all the cogs at once. And QS seems like a good idea, although I don't think it's much different than previous left shifter.

Ask Shimano folks how they have done without the "dump" feature all these years. Ask the last TDF winner how he managed to win without the "dump" feature.

Both my Campy rigs have the "dump" feature, but I never shift that way. One has new style hoods, one older style hoods. It's not a deal breaker to me. I would rather have the newer hoods with down model Powershift (Veloce, Centaur, Athena) than older hood Record/Chorus shifters with the Dump feature.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-25-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick
Ask Old Potato

He would be your best source of information.
If ya ain't gonna spell my name right, I'm not gonna answer(potatoE)..

Kidding

What has been answered is correct. Ultrashift innards and bodies are different than Powershift innards and bodies. 2007/8 Centaur and below shifter innards(Escape, Xenon based) are different than Record/Chorus of those 2 years and all other ERGO previously. If ya got a shifter that can go to a higher gear one at a time(smaller cog=higher gear) with the thumb button, that's all it's ever gonna do.

BUT it's not a big deal to me either. I haven't won a sprint for........gee never!

And it wasn't because of my shifters.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
If ya ain't gonna spell my name right, I'm not gonna answer(potatoE)..

Kidding

What has been answered is correct. Ultrashift innards and bodies are different than Powershift innards and bodies. 2007/8 Centaur and below shifter innards(Escape, Xenon based) are different than Record/Chorus of those 2 years and all other ERGO previously. If ya got a shifter that can go to a higher gear one at a time(smaller cog=higher gear) with the thumb button, that's all it's ever gonna do.

BUT it's not a big deal to me either. I haven't won a sprint for........gee never!

And it wasn't because of my shifters.
+1. Used the Veloce Escape shifters on my primary bike for two years. Always worked great and never had any complaints.