Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Mavic Open Pro vs Open Sport

what are the differences, if any, between the Open Pro and Open Sport rims?

quality, ERD, ect.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
what are the differences, if any, between the Open Pro and Open Sport rims?

quality, ERD, ect.
Double eyelet, welded seam vs single eyelet and not. Open Sport improved version of old MA-3, which pulled out eyelets regularly. OpenSport improved, didn't do that. Decent rim for not a lot a $. ERD OpenSport 608, OpenPro 602, what I used, have built many of both. NOT a fan of OpenPro. Noisy wedge and eyelets, issues Mavic has known about for over a decade and refuses to fix.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM

My buddy weighs 160 pounds and even with 32-spokes the Open Sports did not hold up very long. I thought they would be fine but was wrong.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM

I have found that the quality wheel build has a lot to do with the durability of the wheel, maybe more than the rim itself.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:17 PM

The way you ride has a lot to do with it as well.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekindy View Post
My buddy weighs 160 pounds and even with 32-spokes the Open Sports did not hold up very long. I thought they would be fine but was wrong.
Hmm, built many of these and they seemed to work fine..for riders of a spectrum of weights.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Did he use them on a downhill mountain bike?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Hmm, built many of these and they seemed to work fine..for riders of a spectrum of weights.
Might have been the build. Came OEM on his Specialized Roubaix. LBS touched them up but never seemed to be right and eventually broke. Rode on smooth pavement. Replaced with Mavic Aksiums and has been riding the same road for many years.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
I have found that the quality wheel build has a lot to do with the durability of the wheel, maybe more than the rim itself.
Agree, when my wheelbuilder finally retired at the end of last year, I had him build me up one last rear wheel. Although I'm a heavy guy (200lbs), I had him build me up a wheel with a 32h Chorus rear hub, Mavic Open Pro rim and DT 15/16 (1.8mm/1.6mm) db spokes and aluminum alloy nipples. Len did a great job and its the truest, strongest wheel I have! Probably the best wheel he's ever built for me! I miss his shop (formerly the Bike Nook in SF)!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Might have been the build. Came OEM on his Specialized Roubaix. LBS touched them up but never seemed to be right and eventually broke. Rode on smooth pavement. Replaced with Mavic Aksiums and has been riding the same road for many years.
Might...I saw few wheels that came OE that were built very well..most I took the tension completely off all around and started over...same with $50 wheels outta box from J&B...low end rims, straight gauge spokes..but you 'rebuild' these machine built wheels, they do OK.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:10 AM

+1 for build quality. Nothing but good experiences for me with several sets of Open Pros over 10+ years. I even did a month of loaded touring with front panniers on an Open Pro in front, including a few dirt roads, and never even had to true the wheel. These have all been 32 spoke.
My first wheel build was an Open Pro rear wheel and it has likewise not needed re-truing. (It was a re-buid and I used the same hub and spokes, so it was an easy first build.)
On the other hand I had a riding buddy who reported bad experiences.

Last edited by marciero; 08-16-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Agree, when my wheelbuilder finally retired at the end of last year, I had him build me up one last rear wheel. Although I'm a heavy guy (200lbs), I had him build me up a wheel with a 32h Chorus rear hub, Mavic Open Pro rim and DT 15/16 (1.8mm/1.6mm) db spokes and aluminum alloy nipples. Len did a great job and its the truest, strongest wheel I have! Probably the best wheel he's ever built for me! I miss his shop (formerly the Bike Nook in SF)!
Yep, Len was an maestro in building wheels and Open Pro were one of his favorite rims to build around. I'm still riding a set he built for me over 10 years ago. BTW the building the bike nook was located in is still closed up with newsprint covering the windows. Too bad,I miss stopping by and talking bike stuff and sports with Len.