Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 PM

More durable type of electrical tape?

I think I already know the answer to this, but I`ll ask anyways. Does anyone know if there are better quality electrical tapes that are slower to break down into a black gooey mess their adhesive products? I'm a little tired of cleaning my bars down after removing old and semi-melted black electrical tape that holds cables and tape in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ugh.jpg (35.0 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by Robbos; 06-19-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 PM

Not sure the actual factory source of this, but it is extremely high quality stuff.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:56 PM

I haven't actually done it, but I've been thinking that rigging tape would work really well for this. We use it to wrap around pointy bits on the sailboat to prevent lines and sails from getting mucked up. The good stuff is great at sticking firmly to itself and nothing else. It comes off perfectly clean.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...02_068_002_510

Warning: it is for sailboats, so it costs 4x what it would for any other application.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbos View Post
I think I already know the answer to this, but I`ll ask anyways. Does anyone know if there are better quality electrical tapes that are slower to break down into a black gooey mess their adhesive products? I'm a little tired of cleaning my bars down after removing old and semi-melted black electrical tape that holds cables and tape in place.
Absolutely.

I've only use 3M on jobs. Anything else is usually garbage. It's not the cheapest but it stands up at least in my experience.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 PM

3M supper 33 or 88 no further discussion required.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
3M supper 33 or 88 no further discussion required.
This^^^
Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Geezus, is that all black vinyl electrical tape?
If so, you'll never find anything that will work. It's constantly subjected to varying temperatures and pressure from your paws.

The best base tape on bare bars is friction tape. It only sticks to itself. Half wrap it, then you can tape over it to your heart's content with anything. Tear it apart, and the friction comes right off the bar with no residue left behind.

As the previous poster said, 3M is all we ever used for quality tape in the field. 33+ was preferred; 88 second. For some reason 88 is more expensive in the box stores. Gardner Bender and all of the other "Jap wrap" brands - nope.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 PM

The ESI tape is a bit expensive but works great for most applications. It sticks to itself, and nothing else, so no residue. I use it mostly as a frame protector - I wrap the drive side chain stay and as well as other tubes for bags, speed/cadence sensors, etc. I also use it on the bars and seat post under front light mount, tail light mount and Di2 climbing switch, so there is both protection and reduced slippage. I've also used it to attach the Shimano Di2 Bluetooth adapter on the seat stay after one of the mounting tabs broke off. Also, it's useful to seal holes etc. from dirt and water. Good stuff. There are also some 3M versions but not sure of the product numbers.
http://www.esigrips.com/silicone-tape

I usually buy the long rolls on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esi-Silicone...gAAOSww9xZA-fW

Also come in colors and clear.

Last edited by DrSpoke; 06-19-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM

I use fiberglass strapping tape to secure the cables prior to bar wrapping. The wide stuff is fine as you can rip it to any width you want. Comes off fairly clean. Any residual glue is easily removed with rubbing alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk