Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
First, congratulations!

Second, be aware...Colnago ownership is addictive. You start with one, then all of a sudden there's a Master Olympic in your stable, and then of course you need the representative C40. And since none of your bikes has the Mapei coloring you find another Master in Mapei. And then you decide you need a Saronni red Super. And an Arabesque, just because the lugs are so beautiful. And a Pista. And a C50 CX or maybe a Prestige CX.

Oh, and by the time you're done, you'll be on an E64.

Good luck!
It is no. 2 for me....still have my ct1. Excited to see how this one rides once built.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:40 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
be aware...Colnago ownership is addictive. You start with one, then all of a sudden there's a Master Olympic in your stable, and then of course you need the representative C40...
As much as I know this is truth, I have only had two. A 1998 C35 100 [20] years ago, and my 1985 SLX Saronni resto modded 11s Chorus.

I have had the lust hot & heavy a few times and managed to keep it at one. But have a bunch otherwise on non-Nago N+'s.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:45 PM

12 speed has been great on two bikes, for almost a year now. I really needed the 48/32 and 11-34. I paid less for chorus 12 than chorus 11.

Once the new parts come out, the old become repair parts, but not current production.

Sram and Campy 12 sprocket spacing is closer than 11 speed. Campy hubs can be converted to XDR, if desired. Nothing is proprietary that I can think of. The AXS chain seems to work fine on my Campy chorus bikes.

Last edited by Dave; 06-06-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:20 PM
Formerly rchman

I've had 12s and I don't see the point. It's heavier by a lot, if I'm at an event and need a wheel swap, I'm limited and personally, I think it looks very meh compared to 2015+ Campy, which IMO is peak Campy.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanH View Post
I've had 12s and I don't see the point. It's heavier by a lot,
I don't have a dog in this fight except that it should be Campy on a Colnago. I googled SR12 weight vs SR11 weight. SR12 is reportedly 100g heavier which is about the weight of one extra cog. Makes sense.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I've had 12s and I don't see the point. It's heavier by a lot, if I'm at an event and need a wheel swap, I'm limited and personally, I think it looks very meh compared to 2015+ Campy, which IMO is peak Campy.
The hoods fit my hands better, and I like the thumb button shape - plus the very positive engagement on them. But I haven't made the jump yet either, for the same reason as you - it means changing my ecosystem to 12spd, and with a smart trainer, that's no simple thing.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I agree with this.

The 12 speed stuff seems to be lower quality/cheaper materials from what I've seen.

11 speed is also more elegant, which is surely something that should be considered if you're putting it on an old Colnago.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:07 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Sweet news! Enjoy the new bicycle.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:10 AM

I have Record 12s on one bike and Chorus 11s on the other. While 12s may be heavier and IMO does not look as nice it does work better. The shift lever shape feels much better, the brakes have more power, shifting is a bit snappier and rear wheel changes are easier. Having an extra cog is not that big of a deal but having a 32 in back is nice.

Tim
Old 06-07-2020, 06:12 AM
aka RAEKWON

I think if I was to buy a new disc bike I would do 12 but if mechanical rim brake I would do 11 speed. In terms of functionality you can't go wrong with either but I think 11 speed looks better, it works fantastic, it will be cheaper and like everyone already said you can put any 11 speed wheel and use shimano cassettes. I would do chorus 11 on there, maybe source a pre 2015 crank if you don't like the 4 arm and it will be nice.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:14 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I have Record 12s on one bike and Chorus 11s on the other. While 12s may be heavier and IMO does not look as nice it does work better. The shift lever shape feels much better, the brakes have more power, shifting is a bit snappier and rear wheel changes are easier. Having an extra cog is not that big of a deal but having a 32 in back is nice.

Tim
How much of the lever shape did they change? I need to try some 12, to me the 11 shape is perfect.

Also you can get 32 in the back with 11 speed, they have mid cage derailleurs in 11... But I am using a 32T with short cage on my road bike and also works well (this won't work on every bike and if I was to buy now I would get a mid cage thats easily available). As far as brakes go, I would probably get some EE brakes if I was him
Old 06-07-2020, 06:27 AM
v a n i l l a

12 speed is interesting to me because the cassette is like having two blocks. The Six small cogs are spaced for go fast and the six large are spaced for going uphill

Or if you really want to get lower gears C12 is the answer as Dave has shared many times

My wheel world is small and I don’t have any shimano wheels I would need or want to put in my campagnolo bikes. It’s a real thought though given the racks of wheels some folks here have plus

I missed the memo that 12 is 100g heavier. That also means in real life it’s probably more since most people won’t buy the SR cassette (assumption based on figuring out that at one point half the weight reduction from chorus 11 to SR11 was in the cassette)
Old 06-07-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I’m not sure I’ll ever go to 12 speed AXS. Don’t like the gearing, don’t like the proprietary chain, cassette, chain set, etc. And, don’t like the idea of changing out free hubs either.

I have a couple extra sets of etap 11 hrd. I’ll be good for a few years....
My solution is to run a Campy SR Crank, chain and cassette with AXS shifty bits. There is no logical reason to go 10T from a terrain and drag perspective, IMO and the Campy 11-29 with a 52/36 crank is really nice for my local riding.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
How much of the lever shape did they change? I need to try some 12, to me the 11 shape is perfect.
I think it’s mostly the contouring and angle of the shift and brake blades. Oh, the thumb button is a bit different too. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
My solution is to run a Campy SR Crank, chain and cassette with AXS shifty bits. There is no logical reason to go 10T from a terrain and drag perspective, IMO and the Campy 11-29 with a 52/36 crank is really nice for my local riding.
Have you done it? I think a record/red axs or chorus/force axs mix sounds awesome.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
It is no. 2 for me....still have my ct1. Excited to see how this one rides once built.
Ah, so you've already started down the slippery slope.

Steel should be your next addition. Maybe an Arabesque, at minimum a Master. If you want a challenge, try to find one in Mapei or WordPerfect livery.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy