Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2024, 02:27 PM
n - 1

Aero wheels. Anyone go back to standard wheels?

Built up a new bike this year and for the first time, I went with 45mm wheels. First few rides were great. I haven’t seen faster times but that may attribute to the lack of riding this year compared to prior years.

But yesterday’s ride, I got into some fierce cross winds and scared the crud out of me on the fast descent. I’ll probably get used to it. But it was an uneasy feeling.

I’m thinking at this point, if I don’t see much improvement in times this season, I might go back to 30mm rims. The sub 1,300g would be nice.
Old 08-01-2024, 02:37 PM

all wheels are not created equal. You need to name the brand and the tire you used and be specific.
Old 08-01-2024, 02:44 PM

I tried several sets of ENVE wheels and am happier riding Boyd Altamont Lites. I didn’t love the ENVEs, though I’m sure they would be faster if I still hung out at the pointy end of fast rides or races. I don’t. I prefer that the Boyds are unaffected by gusty winds and given my old style rim brakes, I prefer aluminum rims.
Old 08-01-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
all wheels are not created equal. You need to name the brand and the tire you used and be specific.
Also (and I don't have any super aero wheels anyway) you need to consider that high winds + aero gear might exacerbate any issues you have with bike fit

- not enough weight on the front wheel will make everything seem worse the more aero the front wheel is

- any kind of asymmetrical fit/functional issue might put you slightly off balance and magnify the effect of crosswinds and/or the effect of the aero gear in the crosswinds

I think I can even feel these differences just from going from a totally standard box rim to a "marginally aero" wheel.

Last edited by benb; 08-01-2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 03:18 PM

Since I’m not trying to win a race I have very little interest in riding wheels that are deep. As you mentioned, they scare the crap out of me on high speed mountain descents or even flat roads in gusty winds. I’ve been blown across the road a few times on mountain descents…

Some brand designs are better able to handle the crosswinds than others but none are immune.

I use 30mm wheels too on my all road/dirt bike and think they are the sweet spot. I’d be surprised if there is much difference in speed between the 30 and 45mm in most conditions.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 08-01-2024 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
Facts
Old 08-01-2024, 03:39 PM

Like many, I have ridden many different depths from 22 mm to 50 mm. But unlike many, perhaps, I really do not enjoy riding depths 35 mm and higher. If I were riding "at the pointy end of a group ride", I would ride greater rim depths even though I do not enjoy them.

I cannot put my finger on it but something about how the bike steers with deep rims is off putting. And no, it is mostly likely not the overall weight of the wheels as my 45 mm wheels are light -- 12XX g.

On my solo rides, wind or not, I love my shallow 25 mm wheels.
Old 08-01-2024, 04:22 PM

I'll be the odd man out. Unless it's very windy, I like 55mm deep rims for all road riding. On the days where I risk being blown off the road, I'll use 30mm or 26mm rims.

Greg
Old 08-01-2024, 04:23 PM

I ride all sorts of depths, and as a 140 pound rider I find I tend to feel the wind more than a heavier rider. After years of riding deep wheels I've certainly grown accustomed to it, but I will say for me the tipping point for a well engineered wheels like Zipp, Enve etc... is about 45-50mm. I get some push but am generally not bothered even when descending the mountain in shifting winds. I do sometimes still get caught off guard on my 65mm coming down the mountain. I'd tend to generalize and say that for most riders who are not racing, 25-35mm you don't feel push, at 35-45mm you feel it a bit but rarely get bothered by it. 45-55mm is the break over where it really depends on the rider and the conditions. And anything deeper and you will most of the time be aware of the push.
Old 08-01-2024, 04:31 PM
I need you cool.

I've been riding my alloy box rims this past couple of weeks....mostly because I changed out the gearing on my CSI and am really enjoying the ride....and those are the wheels on it (Mavic Reflex / Campy Chorus hubs / DT Revolution spokes / Vittoria Corsa Control tubulars)....

For the past past year or so I was riding my BTLOS 45 rim wheels built by Oldpotatoe.....great wheels and I have not had any issues with crosswinds.

I am about 2 mins slower on my usual 17.5 mile route I do in the mornings before work....
Old 08-01-2024, 04:54 PM
n - 1

Thanks for the replies.

I’m riding on BTLOS “allroad” 45mm wheels and P Zero 32’s. 63psi per Silca but last few rides, it felt better at 55-58. I’m ~160lbs.
I’m going to keep riding them for the season and decide next year.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:16 PM

Some brands offer different depth rims front to back in sets.
Old 08-01-2024, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow View Post
I ride all sorts of depths, and as a 140 pound rider I find I tend to feel the wind more than a heavier rider. After years of riding deep wheels I've certainly grown accustomed to it, but I will say for me the tipping point for a well engineered wheels like Zipp, Enve etc... is about 45-50mm. I get some push but am generally not bothered even when descending the mountain in shifting winds. I do sometimes still get caught off guard on my 65mm coming down the mountain. I'd tend to generalize and say that for most riders who are not racing, 25-35mm you don't feel push, at 35-45mm you feel it a bit but rarely get bothered by it. 45-55mm is the break over where it really depends on the rider and the conditions. And anything deeper and you will most of the time be aware of the push.
Yes. And older wheels are more sensitive to yaw, which is really the big problem.

Not said is that absent a crazy impact, modern 35-40 mm rims are hella strong.
Old 08-01-2024, 08:21 PM
cmg

I like riding my btlos 60mm deep wheelset. Holds speed better. I'm heavy 190lbs, wind doesn't toss me to much but I haven't ridden in winds above 25 miles either.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:49 PM

My road bike is on Roval CLX50s + 32mm GP5ks and I love them. The first ride on the bridge across Lake Washington in Seattle was a bit of a wakeup, but it didn’t take long to get used to it and now I barely notice crosswinds. You might consider giving it a few more rides to see how you feel.