Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Never pick a fight. With anyone.
Three car jackers attacked a 5'3" teenaged girl to steal her sports car. She broke both arms on all three and one leg on each by the time the police showed up. You don't know what people are capable of.
THAT'S the video I want to see!
Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Excellent. Think 2x before deciding to beat up an older gentleman.
Not only that, the truck driver had some sort of 'weapon' in his hand...Good on the guy with a beard..regardless if there was a bike involved or not.
Quote:
My fear is that being 62, I might over compensate and permanently hurt someone. Then my bike budget for 10 years wasted on legal fees to stay outta jail. Better my pride and my ars got put to the ground...
The truck driver had a weapon..in the 'disparity of force' equation, the 'victim' can match the 'attacker' with equal force, and he did....Plus it was on video..the bike rider wouldn't be in trouble.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-14-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Never pick a fight. With anyone.

Three car jackers attacked a 5'3" teenaged girl to steal her sports car. She broke both arms on all three and one leg on each by the time the police showed up. You don't know what people are capable of.

Source please
Old 02-14-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Source please
Sourced from fourth hand info. Her mechanic wrote the story on Quora answering a question about people picking on the wrong person. What's the best case of "You just picked a fight with the wrong person" that you witnessed? was the question. He claimed she had been studying martial arts since she was 6.

Last edited by bikinchris; 02-14-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
In this case I think a man jumping from his truck to accost a cyclist is fair game with no reasonable excuse or way to claim he was a victim.
I saw him in a video that started earlier. The truck driver tried to swerve into him.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:26 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The truck driver had a weapon..in the 'disparity of force' equation, the 'victim' can match the 'attacker' with equal force, and he did....Plus it was on video..the bike rider wouldn't be in trouble.
the other thing about this incident is the cyclist put the truck driver on the ground and then left. There was an incident in the U.S. where the cyclist continued to pummel the driver and got in legal trouble for it. My understanding was that incident started much the same way, with the cyclist being the victim of vehicular violence.

But if the outcome of the video in the OP had been more serious, and there hadn't been any video, the cyclist still might have been arrested. I don't see how he could know there was video
Old 02-14-2020, 11:56 AM

And...............................he did it with rim brakes, not disc. Impressive.

Left hook reminiscent of Smokin' Joe Frazier.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:08 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Even my wife liked that one.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
And...............................he did it with rim brakes, not disc. Impressive.

Left hook reminiscent of Smokin' Joe Frazier.
LOL! That was a good straight punch...most of us try to throwing looping punches. He's had some training.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the other thing about this incident is the cyclist put the truck driver on the ground and then left. There was an incident in the U.S. where the cyclist continued to pummel the driver and got in legal trouble for it. My understanding was that incident started much the same way, with the cyclist being the victim of vehicular violence.

But if the outcome of the video in the OP had been more serious, and there hadn't been any video, the cyclist still might have been arrested. I don't see how he could know there was video
Like all encounters where you are threatened with bodily harm(or even death), you have the right to stop the thread(if you can't disengage), but once the threat is 'over', you don't have a right to continue..whether use of a fist(weapon) or other 'weapon'.

Yup, he might have been arrested and rely on witness' but the driver had the 'weapon' next to him also. I think I would have called the cops..AFTER 'stopping the threat'...

BTW-I had a shouting match in Longmont with a guy inna truck who thought I didn't belong on the (far right side) of the road..shouting match while in truck, he stopped ahead and grabbed a tire iron out of the back of his truck and started walking toward me...Wasn't sure of THIS outcome but scary...

He huffed and puffed, I said nothing, stood behind my bike..he got back in and drove away..

PM me if you'd like to know how I would respond to a similar scenario these days....BUT the idea is to stop the threat or otherwise disengage if you can..
Old 02-16-2020, 07:06 AM

I think the only flaw in the rider's technique was that he didn't retrieve the trucker's keys and launch them into a pond. That would be perfect execution.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Like all encounters where you are threatened with bodily harm(or even death), you have the right to stop the thread(if you can't disengage), but once the threat is 'over', you don't have a right to continue..whether use of a fist(weapon) or other 'weapon'.

Yup, he might have been arrested and rely on witness' but the driver had the 'weapon' next to him also. I think I would have called the cops..AFTER 'stopping the threat'...

BTW-I had a shouting match in Longmont with a guy inna truck who thought I didn't belong on the (far right side) of the road..shouting match while in truck, he stopped ahead and grabbed a tire iron out of the back of his truck and started walking toward me...Wasn't sure of THIS outcome but scary...

He huffed and puffed, I said nothing, stood behind my bike..he got back in and drove away..

PM me if you'd like to know how I would respond to a similar scenario these days....BUT the idea is to stop the threat or otherwise disengage if you can..
Pun intended