Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM

More The Same Than Diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post
Not World Tour but Israel Cycling Academy's De Rosa SK Pininfarina looks pretty good to me.

I like that blue. That frame is close to Canyon's Aeroad. Know how things work they were probably made in the same factory with minor changes to the down tube and seat tube to say they're different.

And again, both look good in small!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
haha. first time I've seen it put that way but I like it. in that I believe it's a reference to the racing being all for entertainment, all BS, not to be believed, etc. not a commentary on the bicycles themselves.
In another thread about disc brakes and what the pros will use in 2018..that gent mentioned he thought the European professional pelOton was like WWE, and not indicative of the 'market' or marketing..I disagree..win on Sunday, sell on Monday...
Old 01-16-2018, 06:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Can we just let him pin a thread. Disc brakes (and tubeless and 1x) are a hoax?
I don't have a personal beef with road disc brake, my beef is the marketing hype about how 'ya gotta have them, NOW, or you are going to DIE', BS..Don't have them, aren't gonna get them, don't have to work on them but when you walk into LBS-USA or at ANY bike big bot website..it's all about disc brakes...is all..surprised all but one WorldTour bikes are caliper..is all.

If ya want 1by, disc, thruaxles, some strange, one-of-a-kind BB, tubeless..on yer road bike..step up and buy it, ride it like ya stole it..
Old 01-16-2018, 06:24 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

I like that blue. That frame is close to Canyon's Aeroad. Know how things work they were probably made in the same factory with minor changes to the down tube and seat tube to say they're different.

And again, both look good in small!
Prettry sure thats not how carbon fiber molding works
Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Pro cycling is the WWE of cycling and we all know it's driven by the bike maker's marketing department. Taylor Phinney and others and others have lamented how the hype machines have pushed them to say and use things they don't agree with.

But Pro cycling is a spectacle that brings out all of the new stuff for us to ogle and in that vein I can join in an enjoy looking at Pro bikes with you.
I agree...pro comments on their paid for stuff is always interesting. Get Taylor alone(been working on his and his mom's and dad's bikes for along time. Taylor still let's Jim at Vecchio's wrench on his bikes)..and he is very honest.

BUT marketing, win on sunday, sell on monday, but like above post..website/shop floor all about discs..but not in the pro pelOton..
Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 AM

Inelegant. Every last one.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I don't have a personal beef with road disc brake, my beef is the marketing hype about how 'ya gotta have them, NOW, or you are going to DIE', BS..Don't have them, aren't gonna get them, don't have to work on them but when you walk into LBS-USA or at ANY bike big bot website..it's all about disc brakes...is all..surprised all but one WorldTour bikes are caliper..is all.

If ya want 1by, disc, thruaxles, some strange, one-of-a-kind BB, tubeless..on yer road bike..step up and buy it, ride it like ya stole it..
I really think the issue is ease of use and serviceability.

Wrenches in the Pro Tour are overworked in some ways. And they have to work at light speed at times. And bleeding brakes is not fast. I don't care how often you do it or that your technique is the best. It's still slow. And out on the road, if something happens and you can't get a spare bike fast enough cause your brakes suck, someones head is gonna roll.

Also, not everyone is perfect machining wise or even frame spec wise. So just as we have issues swapping wheels from bike to bike with discs, think about how hard it is for them out there trying to do 15 second bike changes. Too many variables. Not enough consistency. Also, the feel between a hydro lever and a rim brake lever is different. That was one thing Mr Campagnolo stressed when they did H11. He told them the lever feel had to be the same. I've not ridden H11 yet, so I have no clue if this is 100%- the feel between them. But for Shimano and SRAM, it's not.

I think the Pro Ranks took a poll and the winners were rim brakes.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I really think the issue is ease of use and serviceability.

Wrenches in the Pro Tour are overworked in some ways. And they have to work at light speed at times. And bleeding brakes is not fast. I don't care how often you do it or that your technique is the best. It's still slow. And out on the road, if something happens and you can't get a spare bike fast enough cause your brakes suck, someones head is gonna roll.

Also, not everyone is perfect machining wise or even frame spec wise. So just as we have issues swapping wheels from bike to bike with discs, think about how hard it is for them out there trying to do 15 second bike changes. Too many variables. Not enough consistency. Also, the feel between a hydro lever and a rim brake lever is different. That was one thing Mr Campagnolo stressed when they did H11. He told them the lever feel had to be the same. I've not ridden H11 yet, so I have no clue if this is 100%- the feel between them. But for Shimano and SRAM, it's not.

I think the Pro Ranks took a poll and the winners were rim brakes.
Agree..there is still no standard with regards to axles, rotor size, etc..AFAIK.

Wheels from the team can be an issue let alone neutral wheels..

Since every rider everyday in the race essentially rides a new bike...teams followed by vans full of spares, factory tech reps and often legions of 'crew' to maintain their bikes..I don't think the pros really care..as long as it works, it's reliable(think BMC and C-Dale with sram)..

I know a few inside reps(work for component makers)..and company guys talk to the big boy pros all the time..and ask, 'what do we need to improve?'...hardly ever, almost never, never..was 'improve brakes' a topic.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Agree..there is still no standard with regards to axles, rotor size, etc..AFAIK.

Wheels from the team can be an issue let alone neutral wheels..

Since every rider everyday in the race essentially rides a new bike...teams followed by vans full of spares, factory tech reps and often legions of 'crew' to maintain their bikes..I don't think the pros really care..as long as it works, it's reliable(think BMC and C-Dale with sram)..

I know a few inside reps(work for component makers)..and company guys talk to the big boy pros all the time..and ask, 'what do we need to improve?'...hardly ever, almost never, never..was 'improve brakes' a topic.
Yep. Big point right there. Most of the time, it's shifting.

I do think the lack of stability in sizes, styles, tolerances and more(with rotors/wheels/axles) are the main reasons why we don't/won't see them for awhile. If really at all.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 AM

This could be an interesting development:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/...own-under.html
Old 01-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
This could be an interesting development:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/...own-under.html
Normally, I'd say "so what", but this is a little different, because the 9100 crank is available from Shimano as a power meter. Why would Specialized want to compete with Shimano? Are Shimano bikes next?
Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Normally, I'd say "so what", but this is a little different, because the 9100 crank is available from Shimano as a power meter. Why would Specialized want to compete with Shimano? Are Shimano bikes next?
Agree - not sure why Spec wants to do this but I'm going with "competition is good" and if the bigs do battle, we could benefit. I'm still using SRM on 9000. I'd be interested in the 9100 pm if I got a new group during its lifespan, but I'd like it more if the price went down. It also seems to have 4iii technology - I've heard the developer on the Velonews podcast and like what he has to say.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 AM

I'm still using SRM on Rotor3D+ on one bike. It's good to see so many SRM equipped bikes in 2018, but the numbers are dropping, and their days are numbered unless something changes drastically. Any power meter company that hasn't already teamed up with a component manufacturer is just going to be racing to the bottom.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:11 PM

SRM isn't helping itself forcing you to send the product in for a battery change.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
SRM isn't helping itself forcing you to send the product in for a battery change.
The battery lasts 2-3 years, and if you're smart, you'll have it calibrated at the same time. Anyone who cares enough about accuracy and consistency to purchase an SRM won't bitch about $120 and 5 business days every 3 years. They've got a backup crank/bike.

The issue is the high price of entry for those who are forced to pay retail for a new unit. Again, a race to the bottom. Plus nobody OEM's them.