Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Actually, 1x exists because s(h)ram couldnt make a front derailuer work properly.
The front shifting on my etap is awesome!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesbrigade View Post
So with the “brains” in the FD, is there no possibility of running a 1x system? If so, this seems like a miss in terms of versatility.
I would say no, no 1x set up.

Quote:
Actually, 1x exists because s(h)ram couldnt make a front derailuer work properly.
^^^^^^ AGREED!!!

Quote:
Well then it's not a 1x.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Appreciated

I add with others that it's great that you shared this sales guy. There isn't much argument that wireless is a good advancement for cycling.

It's sad Shimano won't play for the reason you stated but I'm glad FSA jumped in, competition will make thing for us cheaper and better.

I like too that FSA offer different lever sizes, that would be a plus for me.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Do you guys just sit around and wait for any mention of a front derailleur so you can make that tired old joke about SRAM? eTap FDs work great. Yaw FDs are excellent, as good or better than their counterparts. It's a long time since the old Ti Red FDs that were finicky and even then the Force FD with steel cage was fine. It's not like Shimano or Campy never had a dud part in their history.

sales_guy, thanks for the info. Any chance you can post some pics of the group built up on a bike?
Old 01-14-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I would say no, no 1x set up.

Well then it's not a 1x.
I didn’t say I wanted 1x! I like to ride in hilly areas and the spacing with 2x. Plus, SRAM’s etap FD is too good not to use it.

I just know lots of people seem to enjoy 1x systems - particularly those living is flatter areas. My point is some people want 1x regardless if we agree if it makes sense or not.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
Do you guys just sit around and wait for any mention of a front derailleur so you can make that tired old joke about SRAM? eTap FDs work great. Yaw FDs are excellent, as good or better than their counterparts. It's a long time since the old Ti Red FDs that were finicky and even then the Force FD with steel cage was fine. It's not like Shimano or Campy never had a dud part in their history.

sales_guy, thanks for the info. Any chance you can post some pics of the group built up on a bike?
Apparently they do. They have nothing to add to any discussion whatsoever. They transparent opinion makes everything they say on ANY subject kinda worthless. Every component company has had problems and all of them could easily get trolled forever. Which of course would mean we would all be weaker in knowledge because of it.

Shame on them.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Vendor

Quote:
On eTap it's great. My comment is towards their original Red front der and the XX and XO. They are/were very flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
I add with others that it's great that you shared this sales guy. There isn't much argument that wireless is a good advancement for cycling.

It's sad Shimano won't play for the reason you stated but I'm glad FSA jumped in, competition will make thing for us cheaper and better.

I think they've done well with everything. They offer some excellent options for people and some seriously smart design features.

Quote:

No, I don't sit around and bash people. I think the opposite. I point out new stuff to you guys all the time. And my comments come from a wrench point of view. And i've slammed the new 9100 front der. I think it's a nightmare. So I give honest opinion as a wrench who gets to play with all sorts of stuff and attend tech seminars.

I will post some this week. I didn't put the front der on cause I need a clamp for it. Other than that it's all together. Looks fantastic too. The wheels add to the looks. Love it

Quote:
I didn’t say I wanted 1x! I like to ride in hilly areas and the spacing with 2x. Plus, SRAM’s etap FD is too good not to use it.

I just know lots of people seem to enjoy 1x systems - particularly those living is flatter areas. My point is some people want 1x regardless if we agree if it makes sense or not.
Ok. Misunderstood your request. Apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Apparently they do. They have nothing to add to any discussion whatsoever. They transparent opinion makes everything they say on ANY subject kinda worthless. Every component company has had problems and all of them could easily get trolled forever. Which of course would mean we would all be weaker in knowledge because of it.

Shame on them.
I point out new components from a wrench POV. And I give opinions from having to install them. I only comment on things if there is legit reason too positive or negative.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Didnt mean to hurt your feelings, it was and is true s(h)ram derailuers were a disaster forever. They had others as well.
Glad they fixed it. Again, didnt mean to hurt your feelings.
I am also not a disc brake fan if that helps. I do however think this FSA thing is cool even if I dont really dig FSA products.
All manufacturers did have duds. They just didnt r&d on their customers dime. Everyone likes to forget the hydraulic rim brakes they died on.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
No, I don't sit around and bash people. I think the opposite. I point out new stuff to you guys all the time. And my comments come from a wrench point of view. And i've slammed the new 9100 front der. I think it's a nightmare. So I give honest opinion as a wrench who gets to play with all sorts of stuff and attend tech seminars.

I will post some this week. I didn't put the front der on cause I need a clamp for it. Other than that it's all together. Looks fantastic too. The wheels add to the looks. Love it
For the record, my comment wasn't directed at you. I didn't take your input in the discussion as bashing and I think you've provided some great information in this thread. I had very little interest in this group, but now I'm really curious to see it all built up and learn more about how it functions. I had bad luck with FSA cranks years ago, but no issues with their other parts and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they figured things out. Again, thanks for the info you've provided here.

Last edited by simonov; 01-14-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Didnt mean to hurt your feelings, it was and is true s(h)ram derailuers were a disaster forever. They had others as well.
Glad they fixed it. Again, didnt mean to hurt your feelings.
I am also not a disc brake fan if that helps. I do however think this FSA thing is cool even if I dont really dig FSA products.
All manufacturers did have duds. They just didnt r&d on their customers dime. Everyone likes to forget the hydraulic rim brakes they died on.
You didn't hurt my feelings. I have sram, campy and shimano groups in use across all my bikes and far prefer double-tap or etap so I've been using SRAM for years, through multiple generations and I've seen the evolution from a group that felt cheap and had issues to a collection of lightweight, well functioning and durable parts. It's time for people to move on.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Vendor

Quote:
For the record, my comment wasn't directed at you. I didn't take your input in the discussion as bashing and I think you've provided some great information in this thread. I had very little interest in this group, but now I'm really curious to see it all built up and learn more about how it functions. I had bad luck with FSA cranks years ago, but no issues with their other parts and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they figured things out. Again, thanks for the info you've provided here.
No worries.

I like to present new things to everyone when possible. Not everyone will get to see or play with things like this or the Rotor UNO Hydro kit. I don't like to bash things. I am critical of things at times cause there are very legitimate reasons to do so. So far, with this kit, i haven't found any issues. Yeah, the cranks are not the most beautiful. Mine are scratched up so that sucks immediately. But put a different crank on and this kit is excellent.

Like Old Potatoe, I have a ton of bike specific tools after 30+ years in the bike world. And having wrenched for pros, I am critical of components cause if they are difficult for me, someone with experience and tools, it's gonna be really tough for someone who doesn't do this daily and doesn't have the tools.

I personally like the WE kit. originally we were supposed to have this kit on the Extensor instead of the UNO kit. That's how impressed I was with it.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So with the “brains” in the FD, is there no possibility of running a 1x system? If so, this seems like a miss in terms of versatility.
By removing a really well working component(front der), not sure how that would increase 'versatility', particularly on a 'road' bike, which this group is obviously designed for. 1by on a 'road' only bike, makes no sense to me.
Besides, 1by systems, in spite of the frequent notion of it here, is a niche w/i a niche...I'd think disc brake option would be way more important.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
I add with others that it's great that you shared this sales guy. There isn't much argument that wireless is a good advancement for those who assemble high end bicycles.

Fixed it For Ya...

Sad? I doubt shimano really cares..yes, they follow some trends but their success shows that a 'fickle' company they are not(BB30 cranks come to mind as does use of carbon).
3-4 times bigger than all of sram, easily 10 times bigger than Campagnolo. Function/reliability to shimano means something. Their basic STI lever, even electronic, hasn't changed in 35++ years. They didn't introduce a LOT of their stuff, both road and MTB, until they were sure about it..unlike sram who uses the end user as their product tester.

Ease of assembly doesn't mean much to shimano.

IMHO, of course...
Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 AM

How's the front derailleur clearance for larger tires? ETAP seems to have issues with standard chainstay lengths and tires over, say, 32mm. Also, what's the total capacity of the RD, and the max cog size?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:14 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
How's the front derailleur clearance for larger tires? ETAP seems to have issues with standard chainstay lengths and tires over, say, 32mm. Also, what's the total capacity of the RD, and the max cog size?
I will post a picture when the front derailleur is on. I don't have a clamp for it. The frame is a smaller womens frame with a 700 x 25c Clement Strada tire. So the wheelbase is shorter but the tire isn't huge. So i'll measure it and post pics when it's done.

The rear derailleur is listed as a 28t capacity. It's a short cage rear derailleur. I have not seen or heard about a mid or long cage version of the derailleur. I'll ask in a bit when they open.