Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM

55 year old triathlete busted for doping

Oh, when will it ever end! Busted for T in an out of competition test.

http://lavamagazine.com/news/wtc-ann...#axzz29fj3CteG
Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 AM

He's well-known in Atlanta. Undoubtedly a talented athlete - ran a 2:23 NYC Marathon in 1981 and won Kona in his age group. But, at ~57 it appears he resorted to "testosterone therapy" from an anti-aging doc.

Last edited by LegendRider; 10-19-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM

No idea but at 55 is it possible it's just testosterone replacement? It's becoming more common to replace test in guys as they age. I assume they can't tell the difference. Is there a cut off level or is any exogenous test against the rules?

just saw legends post, this is becoming more common, replacing guys testosterone, seems beneficial beyond performance in athletics, better mood, improved libido, loss of truncal fat and possibly improved cardic risk profile. I suspect you will see it increase over the next few years as family docs get on board and learn to properly w/u and treat it. Not saying it's the case in this situation.

Last edited by malcolm; 10-19-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Member?

Only banned for 1 year?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
Only banned for 1 year?
From a positive from January 30, 2012. Ridiculous. Amateurs who dope should be banned for life.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
From a positive from January 30, 2012. Ridiculous. Amateurs who dope should be banned for life.
I agree. There should be a zero tolerance policy.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM

He has multiple Kona age group wins, and multiple Atlanta marathon victories in the 80s. He's a successful businessman and a hard-charging, ultracompetitive guy, both in sports and business. A very good athlete, no doubt. People have been suspicious of his training methods for a long, long time and this isn't even remotely surprising. I know him and have ridden with him many times; it sucks for him but (as with most dopers) this is a situation entirely of his own making.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Member?

I read the decision. Apparently, he had a prescription for T but failed to get a TUE.

Last edited by Vientomas; 10-19-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
No idea but at 55 is it possible it's just testosterone replacement? It's becoming more common to replace test in guys as they age. I assume they can't tell the difference. Is there a cut off level or is any exogenous test against the rules?

just saw legends post, this is becoming more common, replacing guys testosterone, seems beneficial beyond performance in athletics, better mood, improved libido, loss of truncal fat and possibly improved cardic risk profile. I suspect you will see it increase over the next few years as family docs get on board and learn to properly w/u and treat it. Not saying it's the case in this situation.

This is the question, and I don't know the rules, but I do know that T replacement is pretty common these days.

I'm not saying this guy wasn't cheating, just asking a question.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
This is the question, and I don't know the rules, but I do know that T replacement is pretty common these days.

It's a valid question, no question. It may also be partially true in his case. But the 'program' is about more than just T. Knowing him as I do, I'm inclined to believe he's been on a program for a long time and his luck just ran out.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Here's a picture of him. If I had the same amount of body fat, I'd be flying on the bike!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moats.JPG (70.4 KB, 684 views)
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post

My understanding of the rules (which certainly isn't complete) is that there are some substances, like EPO and testosterone, which are legal for use in general, when prescribed by a doctor, but which are still banned for use by athletes. So, even if the positive is the result of a legit doctor prescribed hormone replacement therapy, he's still, according to the rules, cheating.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
My understanding of the rules (which certainly isn't complete) is that there are some substances, like EPO and testosterone, which are legal for use in general, when prescribed by a doctor, but which are still banned for use by athletes. So, even if the positive is the result of a legit doctor prescribed hormone replacement therapy, he's still, according to the rules, cheating.
There has to be parameters though. basically when a doc replaces test, he should plot out your free and total along with your sex hormone binding globulin and get you somewhere in the normal range which varies widely for testosterone. Even if you have a script I can't imagine you should ever be supra theraputic.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
That's the email I just got from someone who has been racing at a high level for a long time!

good enough for me, unless someone else will show differently!

BTW; I am fairly sure that they can tell the difference in lab built test and natural test!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
There has to be parameters though. basically when a doc replaces test, he should plot out your free and total along with your sex hormone binding globulin and get you somewhere in the normal range which varies widely for testosterone. Even if you have a script I can't imagine you should ever be supra theraputic.

Pretty much all of that went over my head, which is my own fault. I don't know how the tests work, or how a hormone replacement therapy program would work. Regardless of the details of how it works, I think any replacement of hormones, whether medically necessary or not, is not allowed based on the anti-doping rules.

I would guess that these rules were not written with 55 year old athletes in mind. Maybe there should be allowances for this kind of thing for guys in that age group.

Chris