Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 09:34 AM

How about results from over this weekends KMC CX fest...

Was a muddy course Saturday and that tech section was a doozy.

My racer used her glued MXPs and Muds as back ups.. so I didnt get to see/test the Effetto taped set.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Thought I'd Add an Update

I have three sets of tubular wheels, two were mounted using the Carogna tape, the other I glued. Flatted an FMB Roubaix that really didn't have a ton of mileage on it, one of those things, roads have seemed pretty chewed up here on Long Island this year. Pulled the tires off (no small task, well glued!!). Spent HOURs bringing them back down to clean carbon (ENVE 25's). Nope, not again, mounted the new pair of FMB Comp CX's with the Carogna. Noticed I flatted my rear Corsa G+ (on the Corima S+) on Thursday's ride. Not bad, they about 2,500km on them. Pulled the tire off, they came off easier than the glue BUT they were really on there securely. I was very happy with the condition of the bond. clean rag, little acetone, and a couple of wipes later, rims ready to go. Just ordered another shop roll of Carogna, so I guess I'm officially a convert!!!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:27 PM

I just ordered some of this stuff along with their rim cleaner. This after running into an issue that I hadn't found in over 5 years of using and gluing tubulars:

On a brand new set of Kinlin TB25s matched to Veloflex carbons, I get a noise similar to that of bubble wrap popping and I've read some reports of this happening when there is an uneven bond between tire and rim. Rather than completely clean the rims and re-glue I decided to give this a try since it seems to provided a much more even bond and hopefully there won't be any pockets.

As far as some of those posts above about the tape not bonding correctly I wonder whether the tape was applied on the wrong side? (Rim side matched to tire side and vice versa)?
Old 10-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Administrator

one thing is for sure - you need to give new rims a good wipe down with denatured alcohol to remove any oils prior to gluing or taping. any residual oil will hamper good, uniform adhesion, for sure.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:44 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansukee View Post
As far as some of those posts above about the tape not bonding correctly I wonder whether the tape was applied on the wrong side? (Rim side matched to tire side and vice versa)?
Tried three times - two applications by me, one by a former pro mechanic. Followed the directions to the letter each time and times two and three were after email and phone conversations with the owner of Efetto Mariposa and the Us distributor (both very nice and well meaning). Tires and rims were new and properly cleaned multiple times. So little adhesión each time that is just peeled away. No one has a plausible explantation. I was really disappointed it didn't work - such a compelling idea for a product. I use Mastik 1 now. That stuff sticks!
Old 10-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Tried three times - two applications by me, one by a former pro mechanic. Followed the directions to the letter each time and times two and three were after email and phone conversations with the owner of Efetto Mariposa and the Us distributor (both very nice and well meaning). Tires and rims were new and properly cleaned multiple times. So little adhesión each time that is just peeled away. No one has a plausible explantation. I was really disappointed it didn't work - such a compelling idea for a product. I use Mastik 1 now. That stuff sticks!
that is so bizarre...as i have had the complete opposite experience on 5 different wheelsets...one of which is still going strong into its THIRD season of cx racing, 2nd season of racing for the rest.
all carbon rims, clement, challenge, and fmb tires.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
This is the experience I had incessantly and still have more than I like. I can't say I've done anything different to reduce the incidence, so I'm left to assume that it's about formulation changes in the product. But still, I encounter bad glue jobs perhaps 5% of the time with Mastik One, and perhaps 25% of the time with this stuff. When it works, it's great. But the failures pose a risk, make the stuff really expensive, and leave me frustrated. I got a big shop roll and after a half dozen or so wheels haven't had a problem with any of it, but that's too little info to base any conclusion on. One does have to conclude there's a lot of variability in how the stuff works -- product that's out of date, product that's been subjected to heat or freezing or other conditions before use, variability in batches, whatever. I'm trying to stick with Carogna right now just to try to work out the bugs, but I don't think I'm getting much improvement. For road training wheels, I might stick with it. For track or for racing, I'm back to Mastik One.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM
aka Terry Keele

I really wanted Caronga to work, but had dismal results over an extra wet PNW cross season. I went back to Fastak/Belgian tape/Fastak. Very tough bond with that set up. Glue and tape bits comes off nicely with Goo Gone applied overnight.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
that is so bizarre...as i have had the complete opposite experience on 5 different wheelsets...one of which is still going strong into its THIRD season of cx racing, 2nd season of racing for the rest.
all carbon rims, clement, challenge, and fmb tires.
Sounds like a dream - exactly as I had hoped it would work for me. Instead, I'm working with traditional methods without the time or patience associated with a life of tradition.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:02 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
This is the experience I had incessantly and still have more than I like. I can't say I've done anything different to reduce the incidence, so I'm left to assume that it's about formulation changes in the product. But still, I encounter bad glue jobs perhaps 5% of the time with Mastik One, and perhaps 25% of the time with this stuff. When it works, it's great. But the failures pose a risk, make the stuff really expensive, and leave me frustrated. I got a big shop roll and after a half dozen or so wheels haven't had a problem with any of it, but that's too little info to base any conclusion on. One does have to conclude there's a lot of variability in how the stuff works -- product that's out of date, product that's been subjected to heat or freezing or other conditions before use, variability in batches, whatever. I'm trying to stick with Carogna right now just to try to work out the bugs, but I don't think I'm getting much improvement. For road training wheels, I might stick with it. For track or for racing, I'm back to Mastik One.
Yeah, my gut inclines me to think it's something environmental between production and application. Presumably a lot of heat or cold can happen during transport.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Slightly off-topic, but I'm about to pick up my first set of tubular wheels and was curious to hear anyone's opinion on how the Carogna compares to other tubular tape brands (Velox Jantex 14/76, Tufo)? Has anyone had any issues with using tubular tape with carbon rims in particular? I've read a few posts elsewhere warning of potential damage to the carbon when removing the tape.

Still trying to decide if I'll go the glue route or give tape a try first.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilts View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I'm about to pick up my first set of tubular wheels and was curious to hear anyone's opinion on how the Carogna compares to other tubular tape brands (Velox Jantex 14/76, Tufo)? Has anyone had any issues with using tubular tape with carbon rims in particular? I've read a few posts elsewhere warning of potential damage to the carbon when removing the tape.

Still trying to decide if I'll go the glue route or give tape a try first.
No experience with other tapes but the Effetto has worked very well for me. Super easy to apply and confidence inspiring on the road (but my racing days are long over so I'm not very demanding at all of the equipment). I've used every kind of glue over the course of twenty five years, and I'm gradually moving towards the tape as tires wear out. I say give the Carogna a try.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 07:44 AM

I've tried the Tufo tape and was thoroughly unimpressed.

The Effetto Mariposa Carogna on the other hand has changed my life. I will never glue another tubular.

I used it all last Cross season with nary a quibble. This season I removed and re-taped a few tubulars because I was switching wheels and that went fine. The tape was very firmly adhered still and thus far, a couple races into the season, is holding well again.

All my experience has been on used third-or-fifth-hand carbon rims (Reynolds, Easton, and Edge) that I took a lot of care in cleaning before I taped them. My tubulars have been second or third hand as well, mostly. I do have two that were new when I taped them up. All are Challenge brand (Grifo, Fango, Limus, and Chicane). Taping always done in my dry basement workshop. Racing always in the dewey morning races in the mid-Atlantic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 10:48 AM

just say no. take your time to glue your tubs right. race confidently.

their glue remover, on the other hand, is
Old 01-19-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulasaab View Post

The Effetto Mariposa Carogna on the other hand has changed my life. I will never glue another tubular.

It is excellent stuff indeed...very easy to use and with a rock solid hold...

Tags
carogna, tubular tape