Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 01:33 PM

The season never really ends in the Bay area. In addition to SFR, we have clubs in Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and Davis. Also Fresno, SLO and Humboldt are within easy driving distance. Three clubs already had their first 200 this year, and there is a brevet (or two) virtually any given weekend. Last year I did over 10,000km of brevets, mostly local.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
If you haven't done a similar distance before, I would suggest getting started this year. SFR has a populaire this Sunday, good way to get your toes wet!
This is really good advice. It takes some time to figure out what works (and what doesn't) on these rides and just doing 1 series the year of PBP isn't a great plan unless your super strong. The other issue to consider is that doing brevets in 2018 may get you earlier registration for PBP. As Randonneuring has grown, PBP has threatened to limit the number of registrants and RUSA has given early registration to members that do rides the year before PBP.

I did PBP in '11 and will probably ride in '19.

Vive Le France!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob62 View Post
This is really good advice. It takes some time to figure out what works (and what doesn't) on these rides and just doing 1 series the year of PBP isn't a great plan unless your super strong. The other issue to consider is that doing brevets in 2018 may get you earlier registration for PBP. As Randonneuring has grown, PBP has threatened to limit the number of registrants and RUSA has given early registration to members that do rides the year before PBP.

I did PBP in '11 and will probably ride in '19.

Vive Le France!
RUSA still says that the series (ACP only) must be completed the year of registration. I do the series (or most of it) every year, but I'm not aware of priority. You register before you complete the series, but to participate, you must complete it in 2019.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
RUSA still says that the series (ACP only) must be completed the year of registration. I do the series (or most of it) every year, but I'm not aware of priority. You register before you complete the series, but to participate, you must complete it in 2019.
Registration for PBP opens in stages. First priority goes to those who have finished a 1200K or 1000K in 2018. Then 600, then 400, etc. If a country quota is reached, then it is possible that you can't register at all. Earlier registration also ensures that you get your preferred start time.

Starting riding brevets this year is a good idea so you learn how to deal with adversity. Dealing with rain or upset stomach through a 600K may not be pleasant, but you will be better prepared if it happens in France.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:17 PM

I would really like to attend pbp 2019
I need to lose some weight and get fast again
Old 01-18-2018, 05:04 PM

The French make you feel really special on PBP.

Doesn't matter if the rider is slow or fast. I almost think they appreciate those who suffer more. Village after village loaded with people cheering wildly.