Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 07:29 AM

For the money....Campy Zonda's or Fulcrum equivalent. Never heard anything but praise for OP's wheels either. I ride Zonda's.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post

I guess it is never to late to teach an old tater new tricks.
HA..Yup, have the DT tool so these aren't 'bad' but on most wheels that use these, for 'bigger' people..I use the brass version of the Squorx...
Old 02-22-2020, 07:55 AM

He already has White Industries T11 with HED Belgium rims which are pretty much TOTL. Other than fewer spokes what is he really gaining with new wheels?

Tim
Old 02-22-2020, 08:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
He already has White Industries T11 with HED Belgium rims which are pretty much TOTL. Other than fewer spokes what is he really gaining with new wheels?

Tim
Fewer spokes!! C'mon, less is more!!

I think, along with others, he needs to get a pair of really keen carbon tubulars and see what he is missing..wanna save some weight? Pretty easy to get in the 1100 or so gram range..Yup, I know saving 600 or so grams on his 73 THOUSAND gram 'package' ain't much but coffee shop points too...
Old 02-22-2020, 08:36 AM

Looking for significantly lighter wheel, otherwise a waste of time and money.

I've already learned a lot with all of your help, especially in terms of what's out there. Also learned that some claimed weights vs. measured weights are close, others are not :-)

The Caden wheels seem like the best value. I watched a couple of his videos. The 2:1 rear spoke pattern makes sense to me, and the reinforced nipple areas on the rims also. Like the 27mm width too. In the Decadence version, 38mm, it's close to a pound lighter than the wheelset on the bike now, and likely more aero also, being deeper and wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post

Tim
Old 02-22-2020, 08:48 AM

I rode tubies in college, not looking to go back. Not interested in tubeless either.

Peter, like a lot of the people on this board, I'm interested in new experiences. I've already said I know this isn't going to make me faster in any measurable way, and as far as coffee shop points, I don't spend much time at coffee shops, and I mostly ride alone. Gonna be hard to find people to brag to. Even when it's "parked", I don't have people noticing the FF. I get a fair bit of notice with the Anderson which I think comes from the shiny metal fenders completing the package of what is a beautiful bike. The FF, especially being painted, is much more stealth.

After reading all the responses on the thread I started on light carbon bikes, I think I'm not missing much there in terms of ride experience. Every time I go out on the Firefly I just love that bike, and chant, I am not worthy. I've had some back and forth with Kevin at FF (they are SO responsive) and I've learned some more about FF #275. It was built for a heavier and more powerful rider, and he'd lighten up the frame if they built me a custom, but that's where it doesn't seem like the grams vs $ is worthwhile. It's not going to make the bike smoother over bumpy surfaces than it is now in any perceivable way, and it's very doubtful I'd save as much weight as is possible on the wheels, where conventional wisdom has always said is the best place to take the grams off (is that still accepted?)

Thanks all who have contributed to this thread so far, really enlightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Fewer spokes!! C'mon, less is more!!

I think, along with others, he needs to get a pair of really keen carbon tubulars and see what he is missing..wanna save some weight? Pretty easy to get in the 1100 or so gram range..Yup, I know saving 600 or so grams on his 73 THOUSAND gram 'package' ain't much but coffee shop points too...
Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
They made them in clincher too, how come no more?
If it´s clincher (i will) chose aluminum rims. If carbon (i would) go w/ tubulars.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Budget would help, as a set of bora ultras, bonty xxx, enve 3.4s or customs with superlight rims and exotic hubs will feel like heaven but cost a mountain of cash.

Best bang for the buck if purchasing brand new is probably something like the fulcrum racing zero, HED Ardennes sl, or Boyd altamont lites. Custom gets awesome but pricey.

Good thing now is the rim brake market is so weak you’d probably be able to get a bitchin deal on awesome wheels if you’re patient and know exactly what you’d want.
Yes, this is the way to do it. You already have a nice alloy wheelset, look for good deals on a carbon wheelset w/textured brake track.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I rode tubies in college, not looking to go back. Not interested in tubeless either.

Peter, like a lot of the people on this board, I'm interested in new experiences. I've already said I know this isn't going to make me faster in any measurable way, and as far as coffee shop points, I don't spend much time at coffee shops, and I mostly ride alone. Gonna be hard to find people to brag to. Even when it's "parked", I don't have people noticing the FF. I get a fair bit of notice with the Anderson which I think comes from the shiny metal fenders completing the package of what is a beautiful bike. The FF, especially being painted, is much more stealth.

After reading all the responses on the thread I started on light carbon bikes, I think I'm not missing much there in terms of ride experience. Every time I go out on the Firefly I just love that bike, and chant, I am not worthy. I've had some back and forth with Kevin at FF (they are SO responsive) and I've learned some more about FF #275. It was built for a heavier and more powerful rider, and he'd lighten up the frame if they built me a custom, but that's where it doesn't seem like the grams vs $ is worthwhile. It's not going to make the bike smoother over bumpy surfaces than it is now in any perceivable way, and it's very doubtful I'd save as much weight as is possible on the wheels, where conventional wisdom has always said is the best place to take the grams off (is that still accepted?)

Thanks all who have contributed to this thread so far, really enlightening
If you are interested in new experiences i suggest get off the racing bike bandwagon. Grab a long chainstay rivendell , bags to carry stuff and go slow off road on long day rides dressed in anything but lycra. A heavy bike built w/ cheap derrailleurs. Now that is a different riding experience.
You already have lightweight clinchers and want to buy more of the same thing w/ different logos. Then write on paceline about minuscule differences you found on the new stuff while riding the same roads. Huh...
Try something different. Indeed.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:21 AM

Both the Dura Ace c24 and HED Ardennes Black were mentioned. I have both and while both are great wheels I would recommend the HED. The tire profile makes for a more aerodynamic profile vs the narrower DA and a smoother feeling profile when riding, braking is also great on both but the HED's textured brake track is outstanding and I have yet to see any wear on the brake track itself.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:22 AM

Hmm, maybe I'll pretend I don't already own the '72 Bob Jackson all-rounder and the Anderson all-rounder with 38s and discs and fenders....or the Big Dummy if I really wanted an experience with heavy It's got 3x9 XT, so maybe qualifies as cheap derailleurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
If you are interested in new experiences i suggest get off the racing bike bandwagon. Grab a long chainstay rivendell , bags to carry stuff and go slow off road on long day rides dressed in anything but lycra. A heavy bike built w/ cheap derrailleurs. Now that is a different riding experience.
You already have lightweight clinchers and want to buy more of the same thing w/ different logos. Then write on paceline about minuscule differences you found on the new stuff while riding the same roads. Huh...
Try something different. Indeed.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:30 AM

Good to hear your experience with both wheelsets, thanks.

I pulled the tire and tube off the front this morning, and based on the weight I measured, I have a wheelset that weighs 1690g with rim tape. Going to 1500g or more (CC shows the HED at 1500 actual, and typically this is no rim tape) doesn't seem like enough of a delta. Those Decadence wheels Karl pointed me to come in around 1300 with rim tape - almost a pound, which it looks as though would be 2-3X the weight loss of the HED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
Both the Dura Ace c24 and HED Ardennes Black were mentioned. I have both and while both are great wheels I would recommend the HED. The tire profile makes for a more aerodynamic profile vs the narrower DA and a smoother feeling profile when riding, braking is also great on both but the HED's textured brake track is outstanding and I have yet to see any wear on the brake track itself.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Hmm, maybe I'll pretend I don't already own the '72 Bob Jackson all-rounder and the Anderson all-rounder with 38s and discs and fenders....or the Big Dummy if I really wanted an experience with heavy It's got 3x9 XT, so maybe qualifies as cheap derailleurs?
Then you have everything... oh well.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:41 AM

I do have a very wide range of types compared to many on here!
Raleigh 20 folder from late 1960s
Bilenky tandem from Steveandbarb
Nagasawa fixie road trainer
Pivot FS 29er
Litespeed MTB converted to drop bar 26er

All get ridden too, which is why the Firefly, coming up on a year of my ownership, only has 1,100-1,200 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Then you have everything... oh well.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:48 AM
what's a little rust?

And now, for a 1500g dynamo wheelset ...