Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 03:05 PM

Slightly OT: WindblownXC NH Shutting

For those of us in the northeast - good chance you spent some time here, I did with my family being a season pass holder for number of years when kids were in Koch XC league. Times they are a changing

Dear Skiers and Snowshoers,

Fifty years ago, I came to these hills to build a cross country ski area, recover from the war, and live a life close to the land. This I have done. For forty-eight years people have come here to ski, snowshoe, hike, stay overnight, connect with the natural world, and with each other.

It is time to fold the tent, to look ahead to other adventures, to prepare for the rest of this journey, and to say goodbye to this experience. Windblown Cross Country Ski Area will be closing at the end of this season. All public activities will cease except camping at shelters from April to November. My son, Andrew, and his wife, Julie, have decided that their future does not include running a ski area.

Many relationships over many years have blossomed and grown through our wintertime connection. Hopefully, the benefits we have received will last beyond the passing of this business. For me, I cherish long standing friendships and connections that pass through several generations. I thank you for your support, your love, and your joy at finding a place in these hills called, "Windblown".

Rental equipment is for sale, buildings will become year round residences, the land will be reclaimed by trees, wildlife will appreciate the solitude, and I will be the resident forester. Access to the Wapack Trail with parking on the east side of Route 124 will remain; access to other trails will not be available. There are still six weeks of winter left. Each week we will set aside 10-20 sets of ski equipment and 2-4 pairs of snowshoes to sell at wholesale prices. We will be open in the shop on Saturdays in March from 10-2 for sales even if the trails are not open.

I want to thank the staff, especially "groomer man" Andy, for many years of dedication to make the "wheel go round" and produce a unique experience for all of us.

Perhaps we will meet on our next adventure,

Let it snow,
Al Jenks

PS. We accept cash or checks and have an ATM in the ski shop
Old 02-21-2020, 04:32 PM

That’s a bummer. I love that place. I do have to say these low snowfall winters can’t be helping...
Old 02-21-2020, 05:14 PM

That's a big loss, such a great little place to xc ski.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:48 PM

Bummer, that was a nice place for xc. We didn't go there much, but enjoyed ourselves every time.

Thx for the heads up.