Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Stages does factory installs on Campy cranks.
Apologies, I meant to write Campagnolo Potenza. I think Stages only does Chorus and above.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Thanks for all the input.

It seems like Assioma might be a better choice as I didn't realize I have to send my crank to Australia to have it installed.

I assume once it is installed I can't transfer it to another crank? That makes component upgrade tricky.

For those with Assioma, is the spindle with the pod the same length as standard pedals?

Also, anyone use Keo cleats instead of Xpedo cleats?
Keo cleats work fine on my BePro. As far as I know, no significant differences in the spindle length. FYI, when I bought mine, arrived FedEx from Italy in 3 days.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Keo cleats work fine on my BePro. As far as I know, no significant differences in the spindle length. FYI, when I bought mine, arrived FedEx from Italy in 3 days.
Nice.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Thanks for all the input.

It seems like Assioma might be a better choice as I didn't realize I have to send my crank to Australia to have it installed.
Haha, a misunderstanding! I am based in Australia - 4iii are based in America.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisinberry777 View Post
Thanks for clarification. Still, not being able to migrate to a different crank lessen the appear, given that I often check the classifieds here.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:24 AM

I have two versions of Dura Ace Stages left crank arms. Never had a problem and don't think about them.

But to be honest, I rarely ride in wet weather.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 AM

I have 2 Stages setups that are 4 years old, both are 1-sided and are 2nd gen I believe. Who knows how many "generations" stages has but there were some changes early on to fix issues. I have a 105 unit and an Ultegra unit. It was most cost effective for me to just order the whole thing from them and just have an extra left crankarm for each bike. If/When stuff gets sold I will be able to sell the power crankarm separate from the complete crankset. Realistically I will use it wall till it's worn out and recycle the stuff though.

One of my 2 units was defective and was replaced under warranty within a month of me getting it. After that they have both been fine.

I have rode both of them extensively in heavy rain, snow, winter salt & gunk, mud, you name it. I've never had a problem. The Batteries get changed once a year. I would not hesitate for a minute to use a Stages PM on a MTB.

I'd say the biggest risk/wear item on them is the little rubber O-ring that seals them. If you were clumsy you could tear/damage the ring when changing the battery. I bet Stages will sell you/give you a new O-ring though. And that's something you only touch once or twice a year so pretty low risk unless you're a mega-hamfist.

I have had some L/R balance issues and such but I don't really think it's a big deal for most of us. There were Pro teams who were using 1-sided meters without issue. If you think you have a L/R issue better to sort that out by going to a fitter/PT whatever and have things tracked/monitored there. The guy I've gone to for fitting has a setup that is vastly more capable than what people ride without on the road for diagnosing that kind of stuff.

Currently I feel like I have most of my L/R issues worked out pretty well so no concern. The Left-only meter might read differently than a 2-sided one but as long as you are consistently using the same setup it doesn't matter for most of us.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:55 AM

Pioneer dual sided R8000 is $500 right now at competitive cyclist:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...meter-crankset
Old 03-23-2020, 04:54 PM

Garmin Vector

I had the left foot only Garmin Vector and then upgraded to dual sided.

My Vectors work fine, I like them, but they took a little bit to get stabilized (use single large battery + cork fix).

If I were doing it again, I'd try the favero assioma.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisinberry777 View Post
Aren’t they based in Canada? Pretty sure, but will double check. Im also looking at PM options. Just don’t tell the wife 😁
Old 03-23-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schredder View Post
Aren’t they based in Canada? Pretty sure, but will double check. Im also looking at PM options. Just don’t tell the wife 😁
Yep...
Cochrane, Alberta Canada
Old 03-23-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpang922 View Post
Pioneer dual sided R8000 is $500 right now at competitive cyclist:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...meter-crankset
These are great power meters, I have the DuraAce version on my Canyon Ultimate. Shimano recently acquired Pioneer's power meter biz, which might have an effect.

Pedaling Dynamics on the Pioneer are great, albeit difficult to set up on some bikes due to the clearance for magnets. Also, I believe only Pioneer and Wahoo computers support Pioneer's pedaling dynamics. Currently, Garmin does not.