Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Disregard the flakes all over the place. This is a freshly waxed chain and I havent cleaned it up yet.
I was pretty sure it was either Boston road salt or South End parmesan cheese.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-20-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
No one can look at sprockets and pronounce them worn out. If a new chain skips on the sprockets, they are technically worn out, but any chain with even a few hundred break in miles will work just fine. This is one reason I alternate the use of several chains, so I never get new-chain skip.

Ti cogs wear out quickly. Campy no longer offers Ti cogs with 12 speed.
Wow i didnt know that.. Well i guess if my entire bike is Super Record, if anything should be cheaper, its the cassette cause no one will notice Might just go for Chorus, i guess.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Chorus is all steel, right. That's the way to go. Will cost you 3 grams or so in weight

Since we are counting, it’s more like 66 grams

That is, between a SR and Chorus 11-29 cassette.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Since we are counting, it’s more like 66 grams

That is, between a SR and Chorus 11-29 cassette.
I'm still on 10 speed, so its fewer cogs.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-20-2020, 07:34 PM
cmg

Check to see if the correct spacers are being used. The skipping I experienced was caused by the spacers being in the wrong order.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Ti cogs wear out quickly. Campy no longer offers Ti cogs with 12 speed.
Quickly may be a touch of an overstatement. I'm not OCD on chain-cleaning and I have some 10 speed Record cassettes that are doing just fine, thank you... with several thousands of miles on 'em.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
Check to see if the correct spacers are being used. The skipping I experienced was caused by the spacers being in the wrong order.
Interesting.. i thought all the spacers were the same.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Interesting.. i thought all the spacers were the same.
Current/recent 11V cassette spacers are indeed all the same thickness: "F" (2.2mm thick).
User_manual_11s_Sprockets_Campagnolo_Rev00_06_17.p df

Older 11V cassettes used both type "F" (2.2mm thick) and type "R" (2.3mm thick) spacers.
Catalogue_spare_parts_tools_Campagnolo_2013_part_B .pdf (Scroll to page 75)

I do not recall which year the switch took place although it seems it occurred in 2017 if not earlier. If your 11V cassette is older than that it likely came with both "F" and "R" spacers.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Man this is annoying.. An lightly used cassette is already useless because of a couple gears.
If the chain is centered on the cog and it 'skips' under load, that cog is worn out. With all the ramps and cutout and tooth shaping and such on cogsets, it's really 'hard' to look at a cogset and tell if it's worn..In person is tough, via a picture..well...
Old 02-21-2020, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Current/recent 11V cassette spacers are indeed all the same thickness: "F" (2.2mm thick).
User_manual_11s_Sprockets_Campagnolo_Rev00_06_17.p df

Older 11V cassettes used both type "F" (2.2mm thick) and type "R" (2.3mm thick) spacers.
Catalogue_spare_parts_tools_Campagnolo_2013_part_B .pdf (Scroll to page 75)

I do not recall which year the switch took place although it seems it occurred in 2017 if not earlier. If your 11V cassette is older than that it likely came with both "F" and "R" spacers.
No switch with 11S cogsets. 2020 11s cogsets still use 'F' and 'R'spacers..12S, all the spacers are same width. 'F' and 2mm in width.

Agree that the spacers 'ought' to be proper and in the proper order but a misplaced 2.2mm spacer or 2.3mm spacer(.1mm) isn't going to produce 'skipping under load' without a corresponding noisiness from the drivetrain in those cogs..IE:, chain not centered on the cog.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
No switch with 11S cogsets. 2020 11s cogsets still use 'F' and 'R'spacers..12S, all the spacers are same width. 'F' and 2mm in width.

Agree that the spacers 'ought' to be proper and in the proper order but a misplaced 2.2mm spacer or 2.3mm spacer(.1mm) isn't going to produce 'skipping under load' without a corresponding noisiness from the drivetrain in those cogs..IE:, chain not centered on the cog.
well its possible I didnt put the spacers in order. I didnt think it mattered, I just stick on the spacers without paying any attention to them. What is the correct order to do this in?
Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Quickly may be a touch of an overstatement. I'm not OCD on chain-cleaning and I have some 10 speed Record cassettes that are doing just fine, thank you... with several thousands of miles on 'em.
Ti sprockets will still wear out faster. Which ones go first also depends on how much each one is used and the number of teeth. The larger sprockets are make the rapid wear more tolerable.

The one record 10 cassette that I owned wore out two sprockets in 6000 miles, but those worn sprockets did see a lot of use with the 28T chaining on my 53/39/28 triple. Chain tension increases in proportion to the decrease in chainring size.

Last edited by Dave; 02-21-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:37 AM

If the spacers are not the solution....

Ride the bike for a 100 or so miles....and initially take care when in the cogs that skip. There is a chance all will be well and hammer ready after that.

My longevity experience. Record 10 ti/steel cassette. When I installed the third chain I had skip in 2 ti cogs but that went away after a week of riding +/- 100 miles.

This particular Record 10 cassette lasted over 20,000 miles.......and that 3rd Record chain lasted over 12,000 miles..........factory lube and refreshed when needed. Shifting got a little ragged at the end but I think that is pretty decent mileage.

Quote:
I got a (used) campy super record 11s cassette for a build and I know the previous bike it was on (different chain) did not skip.

i put a fresh chain on and while taking it for a test ride, its skipping under load in the 6th and 7th gear if you count from the smallest cog. Im only able to produce the skipping if im in the SMALL ring and going up a hill.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:34 AM

As noted, it can be hard to judge sprocket wear by eye. But there are tools available that can be used to find worn sprockets. I think the first was made by Rohloff, but similar tools are also made by KMC and Unior.

I've used the Rohloff and KMC tools, and they are reliable and easy to use.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:14 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Not a critique in any way of your post. Just helps me make an additional point. It the chain and cassette stay together from new, they will play together for way longer that a 1/2 service life left cassette with a new chain in my experience.

Just a data point.