Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 05:34 PM

I stop drinking (or close to it) in the winter when I stop riding, as I have enough trouble with winter weight. Once I start riding again next month, i’ll return to about a 6-pack per week with some wine and bourbon every now and then. I’m lucky that I’ve yet to have a problem just stopping.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:03 PM

Hi all, everything good here. This thread made me count the months, 7 to be exact.

I feel like a headlight on a north bound train.

Brad
Old 02-14-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Hi all, everything good here. This thread made me count the months, 7 to be exact.

I feel like a headlight on a north bound train.

Brad
Congrats! It takes a lot of willpower.
I'll add that addiction can take many forms. I'm trying to set a good example for my daughters that you can't drink, screw, or buy your way out of turbulent emotional times. I've tried the latter two. It doesn't work.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Checking in on this thread as part of my positive attitude Friday...

I quit drinking the day this thread was posted - interesting non-causative coincidence - and it's now been two months. The not-drinking part has been easy and worth it - I feel better, I'm getting more done, sharper, etc. Unfortunately, this has been a non-scale victory. Not really sure why, but my set-point is being incredibly stubborn. Regardless, I'm glad I took the step. It is difficult to buck the trend in our society, especially in certain circles, but worth it.
So you can live up to your Clean name

And yes drinking is the norm in our society for sure.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:02 PM

I used to drink quite nearly that much as a non-alcoholic, grateful. Kudos to you for doing it and sticking to it. Dealing with routine sobriety is an issue, even if you're not an addict, and those bad habits are super popular - so well done!

It has been a few years I think for me, and I can't imagine how it took me so long. I also gave up the NFL and the NCAA at more or less the same time. And we are 5:2 veg to animal protein on home meals. Good things for our house.

Great thread!
Old 02-14-2020, 07:53 PM

12.13.95 is coincidentally my sober date. Long story for another time. My past included many substances other than etoh, though I used plenty of it as well.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

01/14/2008. Now I can afford a bunch of nice bikes too! Mostly for health/weight reasons, and to save coin. And boy the coin part adds up too!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:08 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Happy for OP and everyone else. To get some context, how much are you all drinking, on average, before quitting?
Old 02-15-2020, 06:12 AM

Cheers to everyone in this thread. Next weekend will mark 3 years without alcohol for me. Didn't love the way it made my body feel and I'm in the camp of I'd rather eat my calories than drink a beer...
Old 02-15-2020, 07:28 AM

I am certainly glad this thread is still alive. I thought long and hard prior to posting it as, once digital, the message is forever. I wasn't sure I wanted my name associated with addiction for all to see. This thread has confirmed for me that posting it was the right thing to do. Thank you to all that have participated.

I more strongly than ever feel the original title should read I quit **** **** as I continue to educate myself on addiction. It really isn't about alcohol as many addictions are fueled by the same external pressures and the physical changes to your body (particularly the brain) that start the inevitable cycle.

I just read a wiki on the celebrity Jamil. I had seen her in the media quite frequently but never paid attention to who she was. I found this quote almost immediately regarding anorexia nervosa:

"I was bombarded with a narrative that had no alternative. There were never any women who were celebrated for their intellect ... and all of my magazines were selling me weight loss products or telling me to be thin. Otherwise, I wasn't worth anything."

For me, acknowledging, understanding and observing (in that order) how marketing influences behavior (particularly at a young age) was a huge part of my continuing recovery.

Remember when everyone smoked? Look at the marketing of the time. The generations that followed the removal of cigarette ads from mainstream media were considerable less likely to smoke cigarettes than the previous generations.

Guess what, no laws against advertising vaping. Marketing tells us that vaping is cool, safer. Now look at the generations that found smoking cigarettes "uncool". Those generations are vaping. Coincidence?

I am certain that there are many variables that cause addiction. Marketing is just one. But it is now one that I am GRATEFUL that I better understand (or more appropriately, focus on the end goal of the product manufacturer (sell more widgets (alcohol, cigarettes, gravel bikes, etc.). Addiction = revenue!

One last comment before I jump off of my soapbox. Please read This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. It is currently the #1 best seller in alcoholism recovery on Amazon but has a message that, in my opinion, will be extremely beneficial to all.

Brad
Old 02-15-2020, 07:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

I have 'essentially' stopped because of 3 unexplained episodes of afib, in the last 5 months, after none for 10 years..Heart docs don't know why, even after numerous heart evals/tests/etc, etc.... I even started the 'alien face hugger' gig in September(CPAP machine..I was tested low 'serious' range..35 'events of apnea per hour). Reward was a bout of afib in October..

SO..along with one episode of atrial tachycardia..I'm now on a maintenance regimen of flecaidide and diltiazem..could not tolerate metropolol BUT..kinda bad ju-ju drinking with these drugs(or so google-foo says so)..
Yup, I miss a beer in the afternoon, evening. Haven't lost one ounce...

No More Fun Of Any Kind...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-15-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
..could not tolerate metropolol...
This is a beta-blocker, no? I was on the lowest realistic dose some years ago and the blunted heart rate thing did not agree with me....
Old 02-15-2020, 09:13 AM
Randomhead

cutting way back on my alcohol consumption didn't cause me to lose weight, but it does seem a little easier to maintain. But now if I have two beers, I feel like crap the next day
Old 02-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
This is a beta-blocker, no? I was on the lowest realistic dose some years ago and the blunted heart rate thing did not agree with me....
It is and I was a poster child for side effects..
Tight chest, wheezing, coughing, short of breath..25mg twice per day..
I carried a bucket of ice melt about 20 feet to my car, saw stars, had to sit down before I drove...The 'diltiazen' is a 'calcium blocker'..I guess does the same sort of thing. I can ride but the weather has been so snowy, haven't had a chance.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:32 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
During the cycling season I cut the dose in 1/2. I need a bit more max HR that part of the year, and all the exercise lowers the BP too low on the full dose, albeit full is on 25mg. Not racing, so it really isn't a bad thing it makes it hard to achieve anaerobic state.