Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Upwards of two bottles of red a night.
wait does upwards mean more than two bottles?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Randomhead

I think that means he didn't always finish the second bottle
Old 12-13-2019, 09:16 AM

Great news. Keep it up.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:19 AM

Amazing! Glad to hear you are seeing such dramatic results. Keep it up
Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Wow! Really timely thread...looking for some advice.

I was actually thinking of starting a similar thread... really thankful that the OP did.

I have a very close personal and professional friend who entrusts me with his health. I love him a lot. I am not an expert on addiction and I'm unfamiliar with the lexicon of the disease. But I do think he has a drinking "problem." All the activities he considers enjoyable involve booze. He has promised me that he was going to cut back to "two or three drinks a night." He also has a sizeable "beer gut" that poses a health risk.

I used to dance around the issue. Within the past six months, I've started to be more direct, using the word "addiction." His response (in addition to promise on "cutting back") has been to state that everyone has addictions, and that it makes the world a more tolerable place. He alluded to the fact that, during times of extreme stress, I purchase a lot more bike bling. Which is undeniably true.

For the OP, or for others who have loved ones dealing with this disease, I'd really like some advice on how to proceed on addressing the issue. The holidays can be a really rough time of year for excess...
Old 12-13-2019, 09:27 AM
cmg

i'd be interested on hearing how he fought the craving. Like all habits, breaking out of the usual after you've spent a decade letting it become the usual.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:27 AM

Good for you on the changes. I am nearing 5 years without alcohol and I do not miss it at all. I got off of numerous meds after quitting. I have gone back on pantoprazole for GERD and have had to add generic Flomax due to prostate/bladder issues. I drank a lot of wine for a lot of years. It took a while before I could honestly say I do not miss it. I firmly believe if I started to drink a glass or two occasionally, it would get to the point of being a problem again.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Congrats on the health improvements & I hope all of this sticks for you. Have you bothered to figure up the financial gain involved in this? Two bottles a night, even if it was $2 Chuck, that's going to be a lot of available bike money.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 AM

I highly recommend that you suggest your friend read "This Naked Mind"

Your friend mileage may vary and getting him/her to read it will be the challenge but this book was very beneficial to me.

See the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCJh_eSGNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOVGLV7GtOE

I hope that helps.

One of my biggest fears was how do I have fun without alcohol. I am not talking riding a bike or driving a new BMW. I am talking dinner, parties, etc.

The unconscious conditioning discussed in this book was real eye opening.

Good luck, alcohol is a killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I was actually thinking of starting a similar thread... really thankful that the OP did.

I have a very close personal and professional friend who entrusts me with his health. I love him a lot. I am not an expert on addiction and I'm unfamiliar with the lexicon of the disease. But I do think he has a drinking "problem." All the activities he considers enjoyable involve booze. He has promised me that he was going to cut back to "two or three drinks a night." He also has a sizeable "beer gut" that poses a health risk.

I used to dance around the issue. Within the past six months, I've started to be more direct, using the word "addiction." His response (in addition to promise on "cutting back") has been to state that everyone has addictions, and that it makes the world a more tolerable place. He alluded to the fact that, during times of extreme stress, I purchase a lot more bike bling. Which is undeniably true.

For the OP, or for others who have loved ones dealing with this disease, I'd really like some advice on how to proceed on addressing the issue. The holidays can be a really rough time of year for excess...
Old 12-13-2019, 09:55 AM

I was probably spending $1000.00 per month on alcohol.

The first time I went to a local restaurant I frequent my tab went from $150.00 to $50.00 this first time my wife and I didn't order alcohol with our meal. We would go out once or twice per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Congrats on the health improvements & I hope all of this sticks for you. Have you bothered to figure up the financial gain involved in this? Two bottles a night, even if it was $2 Chuck, that's going to be a lot of available bike money.

Last edited by grateful; 12-13-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Congrats! I love the honesty here.

I think we can all look in the mirror and know we could all make some positive changes in our lives. This is a big one for tens of millions of people around the globe.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:42 AM
50 bpm

Good for you.

Yours was a choice. Mine was due to medication but I've been alcohol-free since July 7, 2001.

It does save $!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:45 AM

great job, the less we poison ourselves, the better our bodies do.

less poison, more vitamins! win win.

ive been trying to drink more, ive got some currency in the bank for body health, i need a mental break lately.

jokes aside, this is a tough fight, good on ya
Old 12-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Alcohol

1st- congratulations on your changes. This is never easy.

Can you outline what your drinking habits were?
Old 12-13-2019, 10:48 AM

Since the birth of my daughater three years ago I have gone from a drink or two every night to a drink or two a week. Am not really missing it, but unfortunately have not lost much weight either but have also not gained much weight.

As per the OP, my wife and I used to laugh that the alcohol portion of the bill was typically the same or higher than the food portion at a few of our favourite restaurants.

My reason for the reduction in drinking is the fear of a hangover in the morning with my daughter and the dawn rides I started doing, neither are conducive to drinking.

I still like and will have a good glass of wine or cocktail when I am out, but have pretty much stopped at home unless we have company over.

This is from a person who planned multiple vacations around visiting bars and has visited about 25 bars that have been or are on the top 50 in the world list and has this bar cart at home (and it has grown since the time this pic was taken a few years ago).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barcart.jpg (74.3 KB, 473 views)