Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
If my foray into designing/building a kayak hoist for the garage is any indication, I'll spend about $1100 on a rack system for 8 bikes.

The kayak hoist is pretty sturdy, leveraging (ahem) a five pulley system.

I'm pretty sure I could hoist the kayak to the ceiling while I'm sitting in it!
And, when your kayak isn't in storage, you could use your pulley hoisting apparatus for other things, like removing a stuck seatpost...

Old 03-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
And, when your kayak isn't in storage, you could use your pulley hoisting apparatus for other things, like removing a stuck seatpost...
Given the photo...and the choice of lubricating liquid...I'll bet there's more than one story behind this!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Given the photo...and the choice of lubricating liquid...I'll bet there's more than one story behind this!
I did leave out the part about hearing the neighbor's windows slamming shut as I hammered wildly on the upper end of the seat tube with the block of Trex and 2# hammer...
Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGadois View Post
Shoutout to Texbike for design and Steve in SLO for IPA and mismeasurement skills. This rack was easy to make and kickass. Remember, measure once and cut twice. I think.
I somehow missed your post back in March. VERY cool! I'm glad that it worked out well for you!

Texbike
Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Love the ideas.

Now, I know SOME of you ride mtb's as well. How do you store those? I have always thought and heard to hang them by the front wheel so air in the brake lines do not go to the caliper and cause braking issues.

Anyone have a clever way to store other then hanging a bunch just by their front wheel?
Old 11-25-2018, 06:06 PM

This is an ever-recurring thread on most bike forums!

I was aiming for lowest-possible cost and highest storage density when I designed my sliding-hooks setup, and ended up with reasonable ingress/egress to the tune of 22 bikes along a 17' wall.
Up-down-up-down was mandatory (not so strenuous once you've done it a few times in a deliberate way).
Pictured room (1st picture) has only a 6'6" ceiling, so there's only room for short things under the bikes.
The True-Value threaded ceiling hooks (H# 321220) snap onto the 1/2" iron pipe, while the sliding hooks I made myself using home-made tooling.

An earlier version was stand-alone using 2x6 A-frame supports and thicker pipe, useful in the garage and at a storage unit I used at the time.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:55 PM

Gladiator BikeGear Track system

So far I used a bunch of bike hooks screwed into a 2x4 that I attached to a wall to store my bikes.
This was alright in my unfinished basement, but since I am setting up a little dedicated bike shop (drywalled and painted), I wanted something that looked less DIY.

Stumbled across a system from Gladiator at Home Depot.
Basically a universal wall rail that can accommodate various attachments, one of them being bike hooks.

Thought I'd give it a try and have to say it works really well and looks nice.
Another benefit besides the look, is that it is easy to rearrange the hooks, e.g. to hang bikes that I ride less closer than the ones I use often.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
So far I used a bunch of bike hooks screwed into a 2x4 that I attached to a wall to store my bikes.
This was alright in my unfinished basement, but since I am setting up a little dedicated bike shop (drywalled and painted), I wanted something that looked less DIY.

Basically a universal wall rail that can accommodate various attachments, one of them being bike hooks.

Another benefit besides the look, is that it is easy to rearrange the hooks, e.g. to hang bikes that I ride less closer than the ones I use often.
That looks really great. Which length rail is that? Do you happen to have the SKU number?
Old 02-22-2020, 07:37 PM

The rail is a set: 2 x48" long.
Hooks and end caps are separate.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:

That is a cool-looking system. How solid does the install feel? I have about 300 lbs worth of bikes/frames/wheels hanging above our cars in the garage and was being really picky about how much a system could hold without crashing down. I'd love to have something that looks a bit cleaner like this, but am more concerned about the ability to handle the load put on it.

By the way, that is a beautiful color on your CSI!

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 02-23-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
That is a cool-looking system. How solid does the install feel? I have about 300 lbs worth of bikes/frames/wheels hanging above our cars in the garage and was being really picky about how much a system could hold without crashing down. I'd love to have something that looks a bit cleaner like this, but am more concerned about the ability to handle the load put on it.

By the way, that is a beautiful color on your CSI!

Texbike
As per the instructions, it holds up 75 lbs per linear foot if you attach it with 2 screws per stud (you can see the caulked holes in the 2nd picture).
I spaced my bikes at about 30 cm which allows me to hang 9.
Yeah, I got the CSI from Gothard here on the forum, wasn't too keen on it at first but it really grew on me
Thanks!

Last edited by Gsinill; 02-23-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:49 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
The rail is a set: 2 x48" long.
Hooks and end caps are separate.

These pre-fab storage solutions always look soooo much cleaner than DIY - your room looks really great. Although burying the Casati in the crowd seems like a crime...
Old 02-23-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
These pre-fab storage solutions always look soooo much cleaner than DIY - your room looks really great. Although burying the Casati in the crowd seems like a crime...
No worries, the order is totally random at this point, just the way they came out of my messy basement after putting up the walls.
The Casati is my most ridden bike, followed by the CSI and the Matfield.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
This is an ever-recurring thread on most bike forums!

I was aiming for lowest-possible cost and highest storage density when I designed my sliding-hooks setup, and ended up with reasonable ingress/egress to the tune of 22 bikes along a 17' wall.
Up-down-up-down was mandatory (not so strenuous once you've done it a few times in a deliberate way).
Pictured room (1st picture) has only a 6'6" ceiling, so there's only room for short things under the bikes.
The True-Value threaded ceiling hooks (H# 321220) snap onto the 1/2" iron pipe, while the sliding hooks I made myself using home-made tooling.

An earlier version was stand-alone using 2x6 A-frame supports and thicker pipe, useful in the garage and at a storage unit I used at the time.

That little tube bender is fantastic!
Old 02-23-2020, 06:43 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
No worries, the order is totally random at this point, just the way they came out of my messy basement after putting up the walls.
The Casati is my most ridden bike, followed by the CSI and the Matfield.
whew....all is right with the world again...

Tags
bike storage