Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Semi-spec racing works well in Indycar, where dampers are really all that's left. But they're open wheel so you actually have to pass, can't lean on folks.
When Nascar became spec we started to see the bump drafting and trains.
And that's when I lost all interest in NASCAR. It reminds me too much of the old IMSA Renault Cup series. Bump drafting (or as we called it back then, "French kissing...") was humorous at 70 MPH in a LeCar (Renault 5). It's ridiculous at 200 MPH at Daytona. I'd say bring back the old rivalries of the '70s and '80s, but we don't build enough sedans in this country anymore.

Greg
Old 02-21-2020, 02:21 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
And that's when I lost all interest in NASCAR. It reminds me too much of the old IMSA Renault Cup series. Bump drafting (or as we called it back then, "French kissing...") was humorous at 70 MPH in a LeCar (Renault 5). It's ridiculous at 200 MPH at Daytona. I'd say bring back the old rivalries of the '70s and '80s, but we don't build enough sedans in this country anymore.

Greg
They could just lose the pretense and start racing modifieds.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post

Greg

It should reflect what they sell, SUV's turning left at speed.

W.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

We were bump drafting Formula Vees at Pocono in the late 70s.

Not sure when it started in NASCAR but pretty sure it is nothing new.

LeCars were a hoot. I co-drove one at Lime Rick in a Little LeMans event. All was good until the right rear wheel passed me going through West Bend. Lucky to get it stopped in pretty much one piece.

Then there was the Mark Saviet multiple rolls and flips at the bottom of the downhill entering the front straight. I believe someone counted over 20 revolutions if one type or another.

3 bolt wheels and front wheel drive short wheelbase were not a good combination for road racing.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Then there was the Mark Saviet multiple rolls and flips at the bottom of the downhill entering the front straight. I believe someone counted over 20 revolutions if one type or another.
Yeah, once the square corners were rounded off, they rolled over even easier. Older Honda Civics and VW Rabbits/Golfs had the same affliction. As one of my friends said (as we were pulling him out of an overturned Civic, with no injuries...), "This would be fun if it wasn't so expensive!"

Greg
Old 02-21-2020, 05:47 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
LeCars were a hoot. I co-drove one at Lime Rick in a Little LeMans event. All was good until the right rear wheel passed me going through West Bend. Lucky to get it stopped in pretty much one piece.
What year was that? I remember as a youngster watching those up there. Late 70s I think.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

That would be the right time frame.

Somewhere around 79-82 I am thinking.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:10 PM
AZ Slowpoke

https://www.google.com/amp/s/racer.c...e-newmark/amp/

It appears that Newman suffered a concussion. No indication if there was helmet contact or not, but, at the G loads we're talking about that wouldn't be necessary.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post

Then in 2022....rumor is no more push rod engines. .

Yep, soon NASCAR will achieve the technical sophistication of a 1926 Alfa Romeo.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 AM

Extraction video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hNTCe5HPju0 .
I give praise to the tow truck driver and the people that rigged the car to turn it over. Extremely smooth.
Rescue tool of choice now appears to be battery powered sawzalls. The hydraulic tools were taken out but never used.
Newman is a big guy. It looked like it was difficult to pull him out. Then again, the way the seats are built there’s not a lot of extra room.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:06 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/racer.c...e-newmark/amp/

It appears that Newman suffered a concussion. No indication if there was helmet contact or not, but, at the G loads we're talking about that wouldn't be necessary.
Even though most skiers wear helmets these days, a lot of recent deaths involve head injuries. They arent cure alls.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:58 AM

I'm an older member here. I didn't read every post in this thread but I've always been a race fan. I grew up listening to the Indy 500 every year on the radio with my dad and just followed racing in general. I've also raced go-karts and drag raced...I just like racing. However I started losing interest in all racing when all the cars were standardized. I used to love and pull for my favorite brand when Indy racing included Fords, Chevys, Turbines, Offenhousers, etc. And when NASCAR were actual Fords, Chevys, Mercurys, Plymouths, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. In that way you could pull for your favorite driver OR your favorite brand.

Today everyone is driving the same car and while it may be keeping the racing "closer"...I'm not sure it's better? Yes, I know it helps keep costs down but why then...is popularity waning? My .02.

Today I mostly watch motorcycle road racing and I'm just starting to watch bicycle racing again since "The Big Disappointment".
Old 02-24-2020, 02:17 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Even though most skiers wear helmets these days, a lot of recent deaths involve head injuries. They arent cure alls.
Even with the best helmets, the brain itself can have an acceleration and deceleration against the inside of the skull. WAG here, but I think that may be what we're looking at. I had heard that several manufacturers were looking into sacrificial helmet liners that could reduce those loads somewhat. Similar to the concept of Bontrager's WaveCel.

As always with engineering, as you improve one aspect of a design you sometimes expose or create another issue to be resolved.