Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-01-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Concur. And the fact that my "funnest" bikes are not nearly my "nicest" bikes.

I feel there's a lesson in there somewhere...not that I could glean it. Lol.
They are all nice, just some are extra fancy nice for one reason or another.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:49 PM

Interesting to compare to the Aethos. I have never ridden a bike like that, but I can only assume that its a rocketship to ride and super fun.

The reality is that I just like the idea of things that are handmade and/or I have a connection to. My SPeedvagen is dated now, but its amazing as well, because A) its a nice bike and B) it represents a good time in my life (and my life has gotten better!!)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:33 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Interesting to compare to the Aethos. I have never ridden a bike like that, but I can only assume that its a rocketship to ride and super fun.

The reality is that I just like the idea of things that are handmade and/or I have a connection to. My SPeedvagen is dated now, but its amazing as well, because A) its a nice bike and B) it represents a good time in my life (and my life has gotten better!!)
I'm with you. Way back when, Sacha White mentioned something about being the "village blacksmith"...I really dug that concept. Overall, I'm a handmade kinda guy. I had an '08 road SV with custom geo. It was my first custom. And the first bike I went gaga over. I wish I had been able to do a ride comparo between the Kirk and it.

Before I get too much further over the hill though (turn 50 this year), I wanted to have a full modern race rig while my legs still have a (very little) pop. So ya, the Aethos is like something I've not really felt before.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:17 PM

Looks great. Like D Douglas, I’m at 79cm seat height and thought about that frame too. So good.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:09 PM

And to be honest, the Kirk would replace the Vagen - I couldn’t hold both. They’re equally nice so my rationale would simply be that I wanted to try something new.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:51 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
And to be honest, the Kirk would replace the Vagen - I couldn’t hold both. They’re equally nice so my rationale would simply be that I wanted to try something new.
I basically made the same decision when I sold my SV. I owned it for almost 13 years. I had a lot of fun and some amazing rides with it (France in 2011 riding a Tour stage (Col du Telegraphe, Galibier, Alpe d'Huez (all in one day!))). I was ready for a change. As I said, while I cannot do a direct comparison, I'm happy because I feel the Kirk is better. No offense to my SV or any of that crew.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:48 PM
Deconditioned!

Kirk JKS

Slight update: playing with maybe changing some things up. I lack vision. I also dig it as it sits.

Moved from the Zondas (thanks Dan) to HED Belg with Campag Record hubs (32 drill, naturally)(thanks Dan), RH 28s. I like how the silver spokes lightened up the look of the bike.

Now perhaps considering a Ti post and maybe even Ti cages or King SS.

Opinions welcome. I retain the right to do what I please.

Last edited by lavi; 03-12-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:55 PM

Wheels look great. I think a Ti post would look the biz. I find the black of the saddle, bag and seat post quite distracting in it's current state.

I don't think you necessarily need Ti cages. Even just a stainless Arundel or King would be fine. Just something metal with round tubing.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:06 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Wheels look great. I think a Ti post would look the biz. I find the black of the saddle, bag and seat post quite distracting in it's current state.

I don't think you necessarily need Ti cages. Even just a stainless Arundel or King would be fine. Just something metal with round tubing.
Agree. I should have taken the bag off for the photo shoot. But ya, a bit heavy with all that blackness.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:31 PM

I like the blackness of the saddle/post mirroring the bars/stem.

I have a pair of stainless Arundels I can send you to try out. They are more polished than the matte King SS look. Should be perfect with the spokes and the silver hardware.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:03 PM

Great bike....I'd find some great tape and a maroon or navy blue seat bag if it was mine.

Either way it's pretty fine the way it is, just don't put any red on it

I meant to write Grey not great but I guess it works :-)

Last edited by charliedid; 03-13-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:09 AM

I really prefer those wheels over the Zondas.
Cages I'd go black wire and black tape with a red pinstripe and red or similar saddle bag unless you really don't like the black seatpost.

Great looking bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cinelli-red-hook-crit-volee-bar-tape.jpg (35.7 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg image_ZU_LZ_0048_2_200x200.jpg (7.8 KB, 269 views)
Old 03-13-2021, 09:46 AM

Lucky bastard! Even though you’re getting up there in years, your reflexes are still quick enough to pull the trigger before other fence-sitters (such as myself!) made a move. Kudos.

Beautiful frame. I’d go with black tires, myself.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:23 AM

Great color choice.

I feel like there are two options I would try:
1. Titanium post, stem, and king cages
2. Stainless iris cages and leave the stem/post alone

Option 1 gives you some bling and 2 keeps it simple but neither distract from the great frame. (leave the tape and saddle bag all black, don’t draw attention to them with color)
Old 03-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Lucky bastard! Even though you’re getting up there in years, your reflexes are still quick enough to pull the trigger before other fence-sitters (such as myself!) made a move. Kudos.

Beautiful frame. I’d go with black tires, myself.

Yes, fingers are still quick on the draw. Although I usually miss stuff too. Every now and again, however, the sun shines on a dog’s ass.

Thanks all for the best comments and suggestions. I’ll give a few combos a wack and report back. Hoping to get at least a few, baby-free, hours today!