Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 01-23-2019, 09:00 AM

That is really nice and nearly perfect. For a first time road bike, you made all the right decisions and skipped many years of learning/searching. Bravo!

I agree that aesthetically the quill stem just works for your setup. To maintain the classic horizontal top tube, and have your bars fairly high, the quill stem is the most elegant way to do it. With a threadless setup, you would have a lot of spacers, or have to resort to a taller frame, or do a sloping top tube which would be impossible with that construction method.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Sweet frame, build, and welcome! For not knowing what you are doing you did well! What’s the aversion to carbon? I’m not being critical, just curious.
The carbon thing is 100% strictly based upon aesthetics. I wanted flat black – not the weave look – on this build. Athena cranks & rear derailleur for that reason, otherwise I would have gone with Chorus/Record. My Chorus brifters are carbon but no one has been neurotic enough to notice in the real world.

I've been interested in throwing Zipp 302 Carbon Clinchers on to get rid of the shiny braking surface on the current (mismatched) rims, but not sure how that sort of setup would look on a steel frame. That's also assuming I could remove all the ZIPP ZIPP ZIPP logos off the 302 rims.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:18 AM

What size tires are those? 28s?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
What size tires are those? 28s?
Ayup, currently running 28mm Grand Prix 4000 S II tyres ... looking at maybe 2mm clearance in front. Not ideal. Need to switch back to something a little less voluminous like I originally had.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 PM

That is an unbelievable build. Love the quill stem juxtaposed with modern steel tubing and a contemporary Campy group. Looks really good. I'd love to get my hands on one of Roland's builds using Deda 01 tubing someday.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:39 AM
Byron

I would go to this builder in a heartbeat.
Only positive feedback.
Great rep.
Enjoy.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Toast View Post
The carbon thing is 100% strictly based upon aesthetics. I wanted flat black – not the weave look – on this build. Athena cranks & rear derailleur for that reason, otherwise I would have gone with Chorus/Record. My Chorus brifters are carbon but no one has been neurotic enough to notice in the real world.

I've been interested in throwing Zipp 302 Carbon Clinchers on to get rid of the shiny braking surface on the current (mismatched) rims, but not sure how that sort of setup would look on a steel frame. That's also assuming I could remove all the ZIPP ZIPP ZIPP logos off the 302 rims.

Got it! Slightly unrelated but since you mentioned the 302s I’m wondering if you’ve tried em and if so what your impressions are? Assume they are essentially the older 303s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Got it! Slightly unrelated but since you mentioned the 302s I’m wondering if you’ve tried em and if so what your impressions are? Assume they are essentially the older 303s?
Have not had a chance to try the 302s. On a whim I looked into them last year and saw a lot of good things for a carbon rim that appeared to be a much more affordable version of the 303, albeit with less features – no dimple pattern. Swapping out my aluminum rims just to lose their silver braking surface though ... probably not one of my brightest ideas. But I think it'd look slick if I could get the Zipp 302 rims "nude" as they're pretty discrete otherwise.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Welcome!
That bike is absolutely perfect.
I have always loved Della Santas and yours just might be the best one I have seen.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:16 PM

That is all out perfect!~ Nothing amiss - just perfect.