Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2024, 03:30 PM

OT: Advice on buying a non-iPad tablet

Hello Folks – would love to have your opinion on buying an off-brand tablet. It will be used primarily to get on the internet, read periodicals, save the odd PDF, follow along with continuing education courses that no longer offer paper. I want something that doesn’t have any pop-ups (apparently some Amazon tablets do?) and keeps a decent charge. Don’t need anything terribly fancy or a super awesome camera. I'll probably try to buy it second hand.

Anything you've bought in the past that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2024, 03:51 PM

Amazon Fire 8 is probably what you want. $70 right now without ads (you can buy them either way).

That said, my concern with any Android device, and even more so with a spin-off OS like Fire, is long term support. Mostly security updates. Apple is pretty consistent with their updates. Android vendors, not so much. Amazon and Google both have a history of leaving product out-of-support well before the expected usable life (not to say Apple is perfect - only that they're more consistent).

But, a new iPad Mini is $499, so you can just buy a new Fire every other year for a decade and be even money or better.
Old 09-30-2024, 03:54 PM

Is there a particular reason you are looking for a non apple tablet? If price is the reason, you can find pretty decent deals on second hand tablets at places like blackmarket.com

That being said, I'd stick with the same trusted brands that make Android phones for a tablet. I'm a big proponent of the Pixel phones and imagine their tablets would be just as good. If I didn't have an iPad already, that's probably what I'd go for.

Otherwise I'd look at Samsung, OnePlus, and maybe LG tablets in about that order.

Edit* Oh and I'd avoid the Amazon Fire tablets. Amazon uses a proprietary version of Android on those with their own app store and it sucks. They are just software locked Android tablets, albeit at a good price.

Last edited by quacker2000; 09-30-2024 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2024, 04:02 PM

If going true bargain basement the Amazon HD 10s are okay. I have those for my kids for long distrance travel Disney/Netflix devices. However, for anything else they, and most Android tablets, are honestly terrible.

I would strongly advise just stepping up to a very base model iPad. Even the quite old 9th generation ($230 at Target as of today) is worlds better than any Android tablet from a performance, software, and user experience standpoint.

https://www.target.com/p/apple-ipad-...&adgroup=57-10

The 9th gen iPads are still used by every school district in America and I have no idea what they'll replace them with (all the newer models got rid of the headphone jack which schools NEED for use by kids).
Old 10-01-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quacker2000 View Post

Otherwise I'd look at Samsung, OnePlus, and maybe LG tablets in about that order.

Edit* Oh and I'd avoid the Amazon Fire tablets. Amazon uses a proprietary version of Android on those with their own app store and it sucks. They are just software locked Android tablets, albeit at a good price.
Thanks for the feedback on the Amazon Fire. Might try a Samsung, or poke around for an older iPad. Appreciate it.
Old 10-01-2024, 08:43 AM

Both Samsung and Pixel tablets have long-term support from Google. I'm using a 5 or 6 year old Samsung (8 or 9" size) that continues to get updates and cost me about $150 then. Great customer experience.
Old 10-01-2024, 08:46 AM

Samsung A 10.1 will do the job nicely

Got one on end table next to my recliner. Just works good:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...beb7f1f98e32bc
Old 10-01-2024, 09:32 AM

Not long ago I bought a new iPad Wi-Fi 64GB 9th generation (MK2K3LL/A, ugh!) for about $270. I'm using it for the same things as the OP - works great, could be lighter.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:01 PM

I have a used iPad Pro I'd sell you for $175.00 if that interests you.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:33 PM

Ipad 9-or 10's were 199$ a while ago. Mine has been bullet proof.
Old 10-01-2024, 01:28 PM
Randomhead

I'm fairly happy with my Fire tablet, but there are a lot of problems with it. If you want to install something that competes with Amazon in any way, forget it unless you want to be in a constant battle with them. I imagine they have more people working on messing up side-loads than fixing bugs. They want their cut from apps being d/l from their app store. I did use my Fire for a side-load of TrainerRoad for a couple of years. I don't remember why I gave up on that, but it wasn't because of Amazon.
Old 10-01-2024, 01:50 PM

I've got a new Samsung Tab A, but I'm an Android guy. I used it primarily as a reader with the Kindle app. I'm finishing up an MA and the books that aren't available on the college on-line library are in my Kindle library. I think it's 10" which makes it as useful as a book when I'm referencing certain books and creating citations for my evil CMOS overlords. When I travel, I download movies from Netflix to watch on my flights.
Old 10-01-2024, 03:28 PM

Bought this Asus Chromebook for my mom recently. Available now on Amazon for $116, and you may find some pretty significant deals on Amazon next week...

Personally, I would spend the coin for an iPad Pro (in fact I did...) because it does so much more...but if your needs are very straightforward, a Chromebook (or even ChromePad) might be a good option...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 4.26.03 PM.jpg (22.8 KB, 189 views)
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 10-01-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
I have a used iPad Pro I'd sell you for $175.00 if that interests you.
Message sent. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Message sent. Thank you!
Tried to message you, not sure if they are going through. Did you get it?