Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2023, 12:55 PM

Wide-is toroidal carbon rims.

Looking for a wide ish toroidal rim to build a rim brake wheel set.

I've been a fan of BTLOS for a while. But, I noticed their rims are not as toroidal as the new Roval wheels. My son got a set for his Tarmac and I took them on a ride on a windy day and was very impressed not only with the feeling that they just go, but definitely more stable than my WTOs.

I'd love to find a rim with that shape with a 21mm internal width and 29-30mm external width.

If I can't find this, I'll likely just go BTLOS and ask them if they will put a brake track on a gravel rim. That would get me the width, just not the more toroidal shape.

Of course, I know this is all mental masturbation. But, WTH, I'm a maximizer.

Thanks

Jon
Old 06-09-2023, 05:10 PM

Nextie has a bunch of rim brake options with fairly toroidal shape with 21mm internal width: https://www.nextie.com/cyclocross-28mm

I've had multiple sets of rims from Nextie, BTLOS, and Light Bicycle, and I think the Nextie are actually the nicest of them, but all pretty close.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:06 AM

FYI, the official specs for Shimano rim brake calipers support an external rim width of 20.8 to 28mm. So, if you found anyone actually making a rim that was 30mm wide, it would be out of spec - I don’t know what the penalty might be, maybe less braking force?

This Light Bicycles rim is 28mm wide at the brake tracks, going up to 30mm max width. So it is slightly toroidal.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:49 AM

Look through the Caden offerings

https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/us/p...cher-wheelset#
Old 06-10-2023, 09:17 AM

You're on the right track in looking for a bit more of a "blunt" or "U" shaped rim. The change in profile in the last six or eight years really has made deep wheels better. But I'll mention that its worth not overlooking the interaction of the rim and tire to help minimize the negative crosswind effects. By this I kind of mean the rule of 105% or similar. You're mentioning a wide 30mm external width, so with a 28mm tire, you'd be on the right track. This is one of the overlooked benefits of hookless on the road, but I'm not advocating that in your case, with rim brakes.
Old 06-10-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I’ll add another vote for these. I was coming to post the same thing.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:47 PM

caden

wasn't aware of them, weights and prices seem good.
I'm slowly building up a vintage bike looking at 8spd record, but might neo-retro the sachs frame i got here on the forum as 11-spd with aero carbon hoops. The deCADENance tubulars seem a good deal.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:40 PM

Good info so far

I hadn’t thought of caliper specs. I’m using 2015 SR calipers. I’ll check the specs

I was honestly thinking road tubeless. I’ve been running tubulars exclusively for almost 20 years. Using tubeless on my Campy Bora WTO. I like it. It’s good enough that I was considering for this build. What’s the concern with road tubeless and rim? Enough heat to blow tire off on a descent?

I’ll look at the Caden. But I do need rims only as they will be built onto custom painted hubs

Thx

Jon
Old 06-10-2023, 05:39 PM

Road tubeless is do-able with rim brakes, and I've done it, but it just seems sketchy... Especially with carbon hoops. There are just too many variables in my opinion, with the heat being the biggest in my mind. If I were to go back to rim brakes, as difficult as it would be to accept goat head flats, I'd run latex tubes, with some nice clincher(non tubeless) tires.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:53 PM

Nextie

Nextie seems to have the profile I am looking for. Thanks for the advice

Jon
Old 06-12-2023, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
Road tubeless is do-able with rim brakes, and I've done it, but it just seems sketchy... Especially with carbon hoops. There are just too many variables in my opinion, with the heat being the biggest in my mind. If I were to go back to rim brakes, as difficult as it would be to accept goat head flats, I'd run latex tubes, with some nice clincher(non tubeless) tires.
Recommending to ride latex tubes on rim brakes because tubeless “seems sketchy”? I couldn’t think of a sketchier combination than latex tubes on carbon rim brake wheels- death dealer setup