Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What he said, along with Dugast...

Even JH says so.

Last year I had the tread peel off a Vittoria Corsa G 2.0. Happens to the best of them.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:54 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
It’s funny how tread peeling doesn’t seem to be an issue with Veloflex, and they are completely handmade as well....
I had it happen to a Veloflex tire, but that was about 12 years ago. I am still riding Veloflex tires. Love 'em!
Old 03-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Everything is connected

I’m sorry, but I don’t subscribe to the “expect that to happen to your expensive handmade bike tire” pitch. Perhaps they should come with a small packet of glue, like one of those Purell hand sanitizer packets that the airlines hand out when you board.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:11 PM
Vendor

I sell Veloflex and FMB to customers and actually import FMB Tires. Of the 400 FMB Tires (tubular and clincher) I brought in in the last year (since Jan 2019), I have none come back. I have had 2 Veloflex tires over the last 8+ years that have had tread issues or casing issues. One, completely destroyed trying to avoid a car. The other, a blown casing. The guy over inflated it. Due to natural causes, none. I have seen (online) and heard of the casing/glue problem on FMB, Veloflex, Vittoria, Ritchey and tons of others. It's just a thing. Not a good or bad thing. It's just a whatever in my opinion. It's like with Conti back in the day. You knew they would get the dark bursting spots. Or how Michelin tires would dry rot almost immediately. It's a whatever. For the Vittoria tires that have had tread issues, you take a bit of super glue and hold the tread down and they are fine. But this isn't specific to one brand and FMB and Veloflex make incredible tires.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:28 PM

I started using Veloflex tires back in the early 90s. In all of that time, I have never had a tread peel and have had maybe one or two basetapes start to peel LONG after the tires were retired from use and were residing strapped up under a saddle as a spare....Even then, most of the old spares I just retire from age and the basetapes are completely, firmly attached. They are amazing tires. I did have one tire about fifteen years ago that had a slow leak from new....maybe 5-10 psi/hour that rendered the tire an immediate retirement. I have owned about six FMBs in my life. All of them suffered from separating tread or basetapes-usually both- long before the tires were worn out. I removed them for those reasons and not treadwear. I love French bikes and French bike parts. I wanted badly to love FMBs. I just cannot justify that sort of expenditure with the track record I experienced...especially with the stellar record that I have experienced with Veloflex.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:21 PM
Everything is connected

I’ve used Veloflex tubulars for the past 8 years and no issues...same with Vittoria Paves. Every time that I get an urge to try the FMB’s (love the look of the blue wall PR’s), another picture like Gabuyo’s is posted and I pass. To each their own.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:39 PM

Yeah no thanks. They're beautiful tires but my experience with inconsistent tubular QC makes me gunshy on the clinchers. I see they make a tubeless version too... I can't help but imagine the issues people will have with those.

That said, I love FMB. The ones that I've had that haven't disintegrated unexpectedly before their time have been amazing. Great for racing, however, I just won't buy any more of them. I'd rather spend on something that rides 90% as nice and won't have me wondering when they'll give out.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
It’s funny how tread peeling doesn’t seem to be an issue with Veloflex, and they are completely handmade as well....
Even tho 'hand made', like Vittoria's are, the tread is still 'vulcanized' to casing whereas Dugast and FMB, they are not. See post #19 above.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Even tho 'hand made', like Vittoria's are, the tread is still 'vulcanized' to casing whereas Dugast and FMB, they are not. See post #19 above.
No, Veloflex glues the treadbands onto inflated casings just like Dugast and FMB. Now, they have a factory jig so they are not using a bunch of loose wheels for the purpose. Here is a photo of the arrangement. On the top row are tires inflated and mounted on the “rim” jig...and after the treads are attached and lined up by hand and after a bit of drying time, they are collected up on the bar you see below to allow for more drying after the initial step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RavenFactory.jpg (74.3 KB, 53 views)